British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   This oil exploration descision... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/oil-exploration-descision-911599/)

Charismatic Apr 12th 2018 12:56 am

This oil exploration descision...

...doesn't sit well with me.

We are now culpable of financially supporting dictatorships, warmongers and people who systematically abuse human rights (Saudi Arabia, Russia etc.) as well as entrusting them with our future energy security.

Your take?

Catchafire Apr 12th 2018 5:21 am

Re: This oil exploration descision...

I am very happy to hear this news. Fossil fuels is a dirty, dying industry and I hate the fact that some countries (US, Canada and Russia) are trying to squeeze the last cent out of it. Its a good stand for the country to make.

Charismatic Apr 12th 2018 6:41 am

But we'll still be filling the car up next week and buying electricity during peak demand...but as long as it's not in our back yard (often actually produced in places with lower environmental standards) it's "all good"? What sort of environmental conscientiousness is that?

I would have supported a demand side reform (tax breaks on renewable energy or electric vehicles for example) but outsourcing our problems to another country...:huh:

Clappy Apr 12th 2018 9:00 am

Originally Posted by Charismatic (Post 12480157)
Your take?

Obviously it is not possible to use non-renewable energy resources for ever so alternatives will be necessary for humankind one day.

But I can't see that there is anything to be gained by being much cleaner than the larger economies on this planet, except for the sort of people that are very fond of polishing their own halo.

There is already a lot of renewable energy production in NZ so it is not as though the country is running the risk of lagging behind and being the last one in the world left running everything on diesel.

mikemike Apr 12th 2018 10:43 am

Policies change with changing politicians at elections etc, including the PM.

I suspect this one may well get if not full reversal, then partial. Example go for LNG but not oil etc.

Time will tell

LittleGreyCat Apr 12th 2018 2:58 pm

There is, of course, the difference between known reserves and potential future reserves to be found in blocks already allocated for exploration.

As an island nation in the middle of the Pacific I don't think that tourism and the import and export of goods is going to be carbon free. Unless NZ starts mandating sailing ships as the only form of transport.

The response from the oil industry is as expected; how could you do this? You will destroy your economy! Oh, and we need all the money we can get.

The maximum impact is a short time relying on imports before new production is started.

The maximum gain is holding onto finite reserves until the price goes right up as other countries run out (if peak oil ever happens).

mikemike Apr 13th 2018 12:56 am

Originally Posted by LittleGreyCat (Post 12480455)
There is, of course, the difference between known reserves and potential future reserves to be found in blocks already allocated for exploration.

As an island nation in the middle of the Pacific I don't think that tourism and the import and export of goods is going to be carbon free. Unless NZ starts mandating sailing ships as the only form of transport.

The response from the oil industry is as expected; how could you do this? You will destroy your economy! Oh, and we need all the money we can get.

The maximum impact is a short time relying on imports before new production is started.

The maximum gain is holding onto finite reserves until the price goes right up as other countries run out (if peak oil ever happens).

This will prevent any possibility to find a resource that could create a sovereign wealth fund as the Norwegians have done. Large country with similar population to NZ.

I wonder if such an unproven resource potential had been pin pointed; would the PM still take the same view?

''Nah, we are not even going to consider trying for it...think green'':starsmile:

Justcol Apr 13th 2018 9:00 am

Originally Posted by mikemike (Post 12480764)
I wonder if such an unproven resource potential had been pin pointed; would the PM still take the same view?

Her view would be whats she's told it will be by the greens

Huge potential wealth for the country or not upsetting a passing whale. . . :blink::huh: