OH's mental health probs

OH's mental health probs

Old Aug 9th 2009, 10:22 am
Just Joined

kazzapop is an unknown quantity at this point
Default OH's mental health probs

Hi
I'm new to this forum, and hope to get lots of help here from you all
Basically we're seriously considering moving to NZ. I'm an Enrolled nurse with many years experience and skills,(hopefully I'll be doing a conversion to First level soon), and my OH is going to be doing some IT HNC/D courses to update himself on his past working experiences.
Problem being his history of mental health. I'm just wondering if this would be an obstacle to us emigrating. (Problems dating from Gulf war 1 in the 1990s)
He's on medication for them, and is doing very nicely now apart from some days when he feels "down".
Seeing as I'll be the primary candidate, would this have an adverse effect on my application? or would it be an accepted health risk.
I've had a look through some threads and it seems that depression is quite a talked about subject, but wonder if anyone could point me in the direction of more specific helpsites.
Would it be worth me emailing the emigration dept and finding out from them?
Sorry about this disjointed post, but it's basically rolled everything into one short summary
Thanks
Old Aug 9th 2009, 12:11 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OH's mental health probs

Welcome to BE Kazzapop!
How far along the process are you? Are you planning on going for residency or just a work visa. Nurses are on the long term skills shortage list so you should have no problem getting permanent residency.
As far as I know there should not be any major problems with your OH's health as far as applying is concerned. NZIS are more concerned with whether there is a risk to public health or whether a condition would impose significant costs on the NZ health system.
In the case of chronic recurring medical conditions, the medical assessor will provide an opinion on whether, over the predicted course of the condition or group of conditions, there is a relatively high probability that the condition or group of conditions will require health services costing in excess of NZ$25,000.
He will have his medicals referred to a medical assessor once you reach the stage of sending in your application since they seem to refer any that are not straightforward. The only effect is that it may slow everything down depending on how fast the assessment is.
There may be someone on here who has experience of applying with a similar condition who can give you more specific advice
Hope this helps
Sue
Old Aug 9th 2009, 1:56 pm
Just Joined

kazzapop is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for your help.
I'm just in the process of thinking about it and have only made initial enquiries so far.
I think I should try and get my higher nursing diploma first (which should take about a year and a half) so looking at about a two year wait before we make a go of it.
Old Aug 10th 2009, 7:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kazzapop
Thank you for your help.
I'm just in the process of thinking about it and have only made initial enquiries so far.
I think I should try and get my higher nursing diploma first (which should take about a year and a half) so looking at about a two year wait before we make a go of it.
Yes, get your RN as EN's are not on the shortages list. They really are glorified caregivers here, nothing like being an EN in the UK.
Gill