British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Oh Well (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/oh-well-643093/)

jjthefridge Dec 2nd 2009 6:54 pm

Oh Well

Hi,

well nz goverment has anwered the question of wether i'll come to nz, refrigeration mechanic has been removed from skills shortage list, oh well thank you very much, luckily i have a well paid job, just moved house bought a boat, enjoying things again. Its your loss nz

See ya.

j.j.:banghead:

TeamEmbo Dec 2nd 2009 7:08 pm

Re: Oh Well

Aw, sorry to hear that :( But sounds like you're enjoying life at the mo. May be you're where you're supposed to be, for now? Any pics of the boat?

jjthefridge Dec 2nd 2009 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by TeamEmbo (Post 8141998)
Aw, sorry to hear that :( But sounds like you're enjoying life at the mo. May be you're where you're supposed to be, for now? Any pics of the boat?

hi,

none yet hasn't been on water yet, weather is really crap in uk, its a topper xenon, it'll be fun,let the good time roll.

j.j.

BEVS Dec 2nd 2009 7:58 pm

Recession bites again.

Sorry to read that JJ. Obviously not meant to be at this particular moment in time.

Does sound like you have got yourself 'sorted' though which is good to read.

All the best and don't be a stranger. :)

Perry Groves Dec 2nd 2009 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 8142113)
Recession bites again.

Sorry to read that JJ. Obviously not meant to be at this particular moment in time.

Does sound like you have got yourself 'sorted' though which is good to read.

All the best and don't be a stranger. :)

I was on the list, but new list seems to not have me there either so I could be in the same boat (not literally).

Am Loolah Dec 2nd 2009 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by Perry Groves (Post 8142197)
I could be in the same boat (not literally).

:lol:

I know it's no laughing matter, but that made me smile.

Right, quick question ... does anyone know how often NZIS change the lists? Do they say somewhere, we can change the lists twice a year and we do so in June and December, for example. Or can they come along willy nilly and bung in some alterations when no one's looking?:blink:

Just wondering how it works.

garfield250 Dec 2nd 2009 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by Am Loolah (Post 8142227)
:lol:

I know it's no laughing matter, but that made me smile.

Right, quick question ... does anyone know how often NZIS change the lists? Do they say somewhere, we can change the lists twice a year and we do so in June and December, for example. Or can they come along willy nilly and bung in some alterations when no one's looking?:blink:

Just wondering how it works.

The lists are reveiwed twice a year, this is taken from the NZIS website;

Review of the Essential Skills in Demand Lists
The Department of Labour maintains the Essential Skills in Demand Lists:
the Long Term Skill Shortage List (LTSSL)
the Immediate Skill Shortage List (ISSL).

About the Essential Skills in Demand Lists
The Long Term Skill Shortage List (LTSSL) identifies those occupations where there is an absolute (sustained and ongoing) shortage of skilled workers both globally and throughout New Zealand. People who gain employment in one of these areas may be granted a work permit under the LTSSL Work to Residence Policy. Candidates for residence under the Skilled Migrant Category who have an offer of employment, work experience or qualifications in an area of absolute skill shortage identified on the LTSSL will gain bonus points towards their application for residence.

The Immediate Skill Shortage List (ISSL) is for occupations that have an immediate shortage of skilled workers in New Zealand. It is designed to facilitate the approval of temporary work visa and permit applications. If an applicant produces an offer of employment in an occupation that is included on the current ISSL, visa and immigration officers will accept that no suitably qualified New Zealand citizens or residents are available.

The Essential Skills in Demand Lists are not designed to cater for unskilled labour shortages, seasonal labour shortages or recruitment and retention problems arising because the industry cannot, or does not, meet the terms and conditions necessary to recruit sufficient numbers of suitably qualified workers from within the New Zealand workforce.

The Essential Skills in Demand Lists are not the only options for skilled migrants to enter and work in New Zealand. Other options include the Skilled Migrant Category for permanent residence, and temporary work policies such as Essential Skills work policy and Talent (Accredited Employers) Work Policy.

Review process
A bi-annual review is carried out on each of the lists. The review can result in:

an occupation being added
an occupation being removed
a change being made to the qualifications and experience levels on the Essential Skills in Demand Lists.

As part of each review, information is collected from submissions made by employers and industry. Coordinated group and industry submissions are required, which represent the shared views of the key players within the industry. Then, further information is collected from a consultation process with other stakeholders (for example, unions, industry training organisations, and government departments).

A review of an occupation will sometimes be initiated by the Department of Labour, resulting from the experience of operating the lists and the feedback from stakeholders. A consultation process will take place for these reviews.

BEVS Dec 2nd 2009 8:57 pm

The skill shortages lists are reviewed twice a year and any alterations come out around June and December normally.

It is the Dept of Labour that maintains these lists.

Notices of alterations to policy, lists , forms etc are posted in the 'News' section of the NZIS website.

NZIS also issue amendment circulars to their operations manual.

jjthefridge Dec 2nd 2009 9:06 pm

hi

all cool and groovy stuff, but there we go think the saying goes s**t happens, once were on the water i'll stick some piccy's on.

living the dream

j.j.

Am Loolah Dec 2nd 2009 10:43 pm

I thought that's how they'd do it. So is it something that the applicant needs to re-check bi-annually?

jj - you sound remarkably upbeat considering. I really hope it all works out for you and your boat!:thumbsup:

luvwelly Dec 2nd 2009 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by jjthefridge (Post 8141970)
Hi,

well nz goverment has anwered the question of wether i'll come to nz, refrigeration mechanic has been removed from skills shortage list, oh well thank you very much, luckily i have a well paid job, just moved house bought a boat, enjoying things again. Its your loss nz

See ya.

j.j.:banghead:

I honestly think you've had a lucky escape :) financially but it must be very frustrating given how long you've been going through the process.

jjthefridge Dec 3rd 2009 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by Am Loolah (Post 8142477)
I thought that's how they'd do it. So is it something that the applicant needs to re-check bi-annually?

jj - you sound remarkably upbeat considering. I really hope it all works out for you and your boat!:thumbsup:

hi,

nothing to be worried about, kind of made my mind up, when you see people being sent home without work permits, and that if i've got to save in the region of £10k, and not have a life or just say bugger it, and enjoy things seen too many young people with terminal illness or killed in crashes and being killed in afganistan, so just do and enjoy it, and make people happy around you.

And it has really pisses me off how long i wanted it, how much effort i've made to get there and now its all gone, but i will never say never when things get better again and all the kiwi's have buggered off abroad, they'll want us pomms to come and bail them out AGAIN,

AND i really hope that are not putting wanted down under on again after christmas, to build peoples hopes and then drop them like a rock

think thats it, in the words or a cetain trainer maker.

Just Do It and enjoy it.

j.j.