Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Oh no its another newbie

Oh no its another newbie

Old Apr 8th 2008, 7:44 pm
Just Joined

Paul Swarbrick has a brilliant futurePaul Swarbrick has a brilliant futurePaul Swarbrick has a brilliant futurePaul Swarbrick has a brilliant futurePaul Swarbrick has a brilliant futurePaul Swarbrick has a brilliant futurePaul Swarbrick has a brilliant futurePaul Swarbrick has a brilliant future
Default Oh no its another newbie

Just thought i should drop in here for my first post having just registered but having been browsing for a couple of months.

At the moment i am in the process of changing career to an articulated truck driver - partly to earn more now but also to have a skill that will allow me to hopefully emigrate in a couple of years.

So why am i strongly considering New Zealand?? Well, like many i guess, i am pretty fed up with the way the UK is going - rising crime, taxes, sky high house prices, congestion, polution - the list is almost endless. There's also the fact that i am very much a "sporty / outdoors" type person which is a big factor in my hopeful move - being a keen mountain biker / hiker. I do love the watersports too - sailing, canoeing & windsurfing and so on. A big factor though also is that i grew up fascinated by geology and wanted to be a volcanologist, so would love to be in a part of the world where i can at least get to do some real exploring and combine a few of my real loves - mountain biking in the Tarawera area is top of my list of things i'd love to do along with skiing on Ruapehu.

I'm sure i'll have loads of questions over the months / year or two to come on this excellent forum. My current thinking is to look at the Tauranga or Hawkes Bay areas (I like the sun and career prospects look decent enough having looked at this site http://http://www.careers.govt.nz/de...2-691C0B9DAEB5 although that may change / expand after advice from you guys and gals on here.
Old Apr 8th 2008, 10:43 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Oh no its another newbie

Hi there and welcome to the site.
Have some karma to get you started.

As you have been reading the site for a while now, you will be aware that HGV driving does not seem to lead to NZ Residency at this time.

There are HGV drivers here working and living happily but they are all on temporary work permits only. I watch and hope to read that one HGV driver here in NZ has gained PR through his driving occupation. The NZ immigration service does not currently recognise the occupation as skilled.

The only possible way to try for residency as a driver is to earn $50K per annum for a 40 hour week with what is called an acredited employer. HGV drivers do not earn this much for those hours in the main.

As you are just starting to look at a new career, why not choose one of the trades or look through the Long Term Shortage list on the New Zealand Immigration website for some idea of the skills New Zealand is looking for & which would allow you to emigrate and become an NZ resident. Just a suggestion.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 8:41 am
Just Joined

Paul Swarbrick has a brilliant futurePaul Swarbrick has a brilliant futurePaul Swarbrick has a brilliant futurePaul Swarbrick has a brilliant futurePaul Swarbrick has a brilliant futurePaul Swarbrick has a brilliant futurePaul Swarbrick has a brilliant futurePaul Swarbrick has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by BEVS here
Hi there and welcome to the site.
Have some karma to get you started.

As you have been reading the site for a while now, you will be aware that HGV driving does not seem to lead to NZ Residency at this time.

There are HGV drivers here working and living happily but they are all on temporary work permits only. I watch and hope to read that one HGV driver here in NZ has gained PR through his driving occupation. The NZ immigration service does not currently recognise the occupation as skilled.

The only possible way to try for residency as a driver is to earn $50K per annum for a 40 hour week with what is called an acredited employer. HGV drivers do not earn this much for those hours in the main.

As you are just starting to look at a new career, why not choose one of the trades or look through the Long Term Shortage list on the New Zealand Immigration website for some idea of the skills New Zealand is looking for & which would allow you to emigrate and become an NZ resident. Just a suggestion.
Hi Bevs,

I certainly wasnt aware that drivers were only coming over on temporary permits only so food for thought. I thought with their being a worldwide shortage of drivers and it being on the skills shortage list that i might be ok. Still, things may change over the next couple of years with regards to residency (clutching at straws maybe) and i'll have to really look into entry via an acredited employer. Lots to look at then via the expo's / internet etc - and proves the worth of joining this forum ata very early stage i guess.

Might have to look into the other areas then - i am a qualified research chemist but have been working in Financial Services for the past 5 years
Old Apr 9th 2008, 6:57 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Paul Swarbrick
Might have to look into the other areas then - i am a qualified research chemist but have been working in Financial Services for the past 5 years
Your best bet would be to use your strongest qualifications for permanent residency (PR). After you have residency and restrictions are lifted (if there are any at all) you would be free to work at whatever you like.
Old Apr 10th 2008, 11:32 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by happynz
Your best bet would be to use your strongest qualifications for permanent residency (PR). After you have residency and restrictions are lifted (if there are any at all) you would be free to work at whatever you like.
I'll definately have to look into the best option with regards the job front then - at least i have 3 possibilities i guess!! Thanks for the help