Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

oh no, i have a staffy, help?

oh no, i have a staffy, help?

Old Jun 19th 2008, 1:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

gina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of light
Default oh no, i have a staffy, help?

i have just read on a thread that someone has had an e-mail saying staffys get bad press and not alot of rentals will take them, this is a big blow, we are due to arrive early august and OH and son are adamant that our duke ( the staffy) comes with us, do you guys see this as being a major problem i mean i know some rentals say no dogs, but if you pay a bit extra they allow them but does that mean as long as its not a staffy??? my dog is so well behaved and better housetrained than the other half!!

hope someone can inform me a little further

thanks
gina x
Old Jun 19th 2008, 7:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

dlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: oh no, i have a staffy, help?

You'll have a problem with rentals with any type of pet. It's a sad fact that a lot of rental damage is usually blamed on the pet and so you can understand why a lot of landlords are reluctant to take them on.

However, why don't you get some references from your local dog club (if you're a member of one), previous landlords in the UK where the dog lived, etc etc?

At least you don't have a pit bull!
Old Jun 19th 2008, 9:38 pm
Forum Regular

welshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to all

We have our boxer arriving on Tuesday, We had a bit of trouble finding a rental that will take a dog but they never asked what dog it was. Most of the places will state that it has to be an outside dog, Just agree and shove him out when they come and do an inspection.there are a lot of pit dogs over here so don't worry to much. I would advise leaving him/her in the u.k with a relly for a while until you get settled, we've been here two and a half months and are just settling in.Now the kids cant wait to see him when he gets here on Tuesday, And it has given them something to look forward to.
Old Jun 19th 2008, 10:59 pm
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

Bring photos of your 'baby' and your current house.

A friend of mine owned staffies and she found that if she told a landlord that she owned two staffies their reaction was "NOOOOOO".

But when she showed the house she currently lived in, along with her dogs doing sweet things like curling up asleep next to the children in front of the tv or something the landlords gave a very different impression.
Old Jun 19th 2008, 11:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default oh no, i have a staffy, help?

Whooops, sorry..........I can't help you, I thought the title said 'oh no, i have a stiffy, help'

I'll go away now.............
Old Jun 20th 2008, 7:48 am
Just Joined

gemmawardell has a brilliant futuregemmawardell has a brilliant futuregemmawardell has a brilliant futuregemmawardell has a brilliant futuregemmawardell has a brilliant futuregemmawardell has a brilliant future

Oh no i'm so sorry didn't mean to cause so much worry! It's just that's what the real estate agent said!We're probably gonna fly them out a couple of weeks after us to give me chance to find somewhere to live if I can't find anywhere before I go. If anything my 2 year old daughter makes more mess in the house then the dogs
I like the idea of taking photos, i think i might do that.
Old Jun 20th 2008, 9:47 am
BE Enthusiast

gina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of light

yep, im gonna take the photos and arrange for duke to fly out two weeks after us, i think as soon as the landlords see him they will see what a big baby he is. even if he trys to stand proud he still looks soft, he doesnt seem to be attracted to girl dogs either, we are very proud to have " the only gay dog in the village"!! to quote matt lucas!

ive tried to upload a picture dont know if it will work!!
Attached Thumbnails oh no, i have a staffy, help?-dsc00090.jpg  
Old Jun 20th 2008, 9:48 am
Forum Regular

hjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of light

Hi,
Just explain to the landlord that you have paid 2000 english pounds to bring your pet from the UK to NZ,and that you really think that you would pay that much money for a dog that doesnt behave and is not trained to do what hes told to come and destroy thier property you dont think so.
That what the estate agent told my landlord and i got a property the same day

Good luck
Helen
Old Jun 20th 2008, 9:52 am
BE Enthusiast

it worked!!! heres another one, hes trying out cams car seat!!!oh no, i have a staffy, help?-017.jpg

oh no, i have a staffy, help?-015.jpg

oh no, i have a staffy, help?-016.jpg
Old Jun 20th 2008, 9:56 am
Forum Regular

hjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of light

oooooohhhhh so cute
Old Jun 20th 2008, 9:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hjmilligan
Hi,
Just explain to the landlord that you have paid 2000 english pounds to bring your pet from the UK to NZ,and that you really think that you would pay that much money for a dog that doesnt behave and is not trained to do what hes told to come and destroy thier property you dont think so.
That what the estate agent told my landlord and i got a property the same day

Good luck
Helen
thats excellent, he pics i have put on are from when we were doing this house up, i think i will make a doggy cv attach lots of photos and get other people to write what a good dog he is, even my neighbour who is petrified of dogs loves him and feels safe in the same room as him, my son caused more damage to the house being a baby than what 10 dogs could
Old Jun 20th 2008, 2:41 pm
Forum Regular

Moomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond repute

We will also be bringing our dogs with us (two) and we will need to find a rental that will accept dogs. The dogs won't follow immediately though, they will probably come approx 1-2 months after us.

Good luck - hopefully you will find a landlord who owns a dog too! We are just putting our house up for rental in the UK and have said that we will accept pets, as we know most pet owners are sensible with them.

Best wishes
Moomoo
Old Jun 20th 2008, 2:42 pm
Forum Regular

Moomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond repute

PS - the photos are really sweet! Love the dog slippers too!

Last edited by Moomoo; Jun 20th 2008 at 2:43 pm. Reason: spelling error!
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 10:01 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Moomoo
PS - the photos are really sweet! Love the dog slippers too!
As Helen said, point out how much it's cost you to bring the dog and they should hopefully realise that you are a decent owner who takes their responsibilities seriously.

We struggled to fix up a rental for our arrival bringing 2 Dobermans with us. We found one on www.bookabatch.co.nz that said no pets, so I emailed them. After some toing and froing of emails he asked what breed so I told him. He put the rent up a little and we agreed. When he met us in Auckland with the agreement and the keys he said when I'd told him the breed he'd gone to his wife and told her and her response was something along the lines of "well, they wouldn't have 2 dogs like that with 4 kids and be flying them all the way here if they weren't part of the family and well cared for." It can be done!

Or you could always see if you can find a kennels near to where you'll hope to be staying first and then at least the landlord of any future rental could meet the dog?