Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The Official Porridge thread

The Official Porridge thread

Old Sep 13th 2009, 1:32 pm
We're HERE!!!

Kija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Official Porridge thread

So many of us are eating porridge for various reasons, so I thought it may be a good idea to start a porridge thread for anyone interested.

I'm taking it to hopefully help me in losing weight. I take my porridge plain, with water and have begun to add some honey to make it more palatable. I use the instant kind. My cholesterol is actually quite low as I'm vegetarian so that hopefully won't be an issue.
Old Sep 13th 2009, 7:18 pm
appreciate life

willand tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: The Official Porridge thread

Originally Posted by Kija View Post
So many of us are eating porridge for various reasons, so I thought it may be a good idea to start a porridge thread for anyone interested.

I'm taking it to hopefully help me in losing weight. I take my porridge plain, with water and have begun to add some honey to make it more palatable. I use the instant kind. My cholesterol is actually quite low as I'm vegetarian so that hopefully won't be an issue.
I make mine with water, have agave syrup as low in GI and add sultanas (dont know if its 1 s or 2) and sometimes add ground almonds or cranberries. Oh or a stewed apple. not much room left for the porridge really is there????

tina. x
Old Sep 14th 2009, 7:31 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

For those who make it the 'old fashioned' way, and are in NZ, which oats do you think make the best porridge?

Just to clarify, I don't use the instant oats because my kids quite often and ocassionally my DH like to have a bowl too.
Old Sep 14th 2009, 8:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

AngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond repute

I can only take 2 mouthfulls and want to be sick i'm the same with weetabix too
What else can I eat ????? I'm going to need to lose weight for my medical (which is going to be hard enough to get through without being mrs blobby)

Angela x
Old Sep 14th 2009, 9:19 pm
Account Closed

Stoof is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by P2L View Post
For those who make it the 'old fashioned' way, and are in NZ, which oats do you think make the best porridge?

Just to clarify, I don't use the instant oats because my kids quite often and ocassionally my DH like to have a bowl too.
Harraways 'rolled' oats are the ones we like! they wouldn't do if you like distinct big oats in your porridge, but as they make OH and laal one gag, 'rolled' do it for us! (do use the bigger ones for flapjack tho!)
Old Sep 14th 2009, 11:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

weejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond repute

Rolled oats,water and salt. That's it. OH and kids like it with banana,sultanas and honey.Yeuch!

Phyl x
Old Sep 14th 2009, 11:43 pm
Forum Regular

zummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud of

Does no-one make it with milk?

I use home-brand cheap porridge oats ... made with 1/2 water, 1/2 milk.

Then add either a dollop of jam, or honey - yummy!
Old Sep 14th 2009, 11:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

weejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Lou,yep forgot to say OH makes his with milk.

Phyl x
Old Sep 14th 2009, 11:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Kija View Post

I have a very good and simple recipe (irish oatmeal) from my mom. You can make a huge supply and throw it in the fridge - it lasts forever. We add 1/2 a banana, few raisins and some skim milk and heat it on the stove. Its wonderful on a cold day.

If you want the recipe let me know - very healthy and very easy....even kids love it....
Old Sep 15th 2009, 2:05 am
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

I use Uncle Toby's rolled oats, or the "milkie" ones. In UK I only like Scott's porridge oats (not Quakers!) and the "milkie" ones here are the closest I can find. I make mine with trim milk in a saucepan and add a splash of cold trim milk after serving. Only downside is I have syrup on top so not much help in dieting
Old Sep 15th 2009, 3:16 am
BE Enthusiast

MooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

I brought some uncle tobys oats yesterday as my daughter loves porridge, we make it with milk, and i like mine made with milk and a dollop of jam yum
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 8:47 pm
Somewhere

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Show of hands please.

Who is still on the porridge and who has binned the stuff.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 9:00 pm
Finally mesh free!

Vitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS View Post
Show of hands please.

Who is still on the porridge and who has binned the stuff.
I have porridge every morning - yummy
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 9:37 pm
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute

Guilty
Have it for lunch when in a rush....usually just before going to work for a late shift, have it with fruit (pear or banana now cause strawberries & rasberries got a bit expensive!!). OH has every morning......likes to have his oats lol
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 11:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zummerzet_lou View Post
Does no-one make it with milk?

I use home-brand cheap porridge oats ... made with 1/2 water, 1/2 milk.

Then add either a dollop of jam, or honey - yummy!
Yes I do I use harraways rolled oats and make it with skimmed milk and add a little brown sugar - yummy..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.