Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The Official New Zealand Road Code

The Official New Zealand Road Code

Old Mar 18th 2008, 8:16 am
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Official New Zealand Road Code

Who has read the road code?

It's just I had to have a little chuckle to myself when i read on page 22 - Receiving Signals....

'There are a variety of other signals that other road users will use to communicate to you. You must know what these signals are and what to do when you see them.'

I'm seeing the two fingered salute, the bird and the vigourously shaken fist signal. What I usually do is to tell them to @#$% off....
Old Mar 18th 2008, 8:23 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Official New Zealand Road Code

Haven't opened my copy yet but have to do it by June and the time is ticking by....
Old Mar 18th 2008, 8:29 am
Winter hibernator

Ted Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to behold

learn these numerous times ...........

http://www.communitylaw.org.nz/licence/learn.php

Do theory test at AA and pass
Old Mar 18th 2008, 8:58 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ted Logan View Post
learn these numerous times ...........

http://www.communitylaw.org.nz/licence/learn.php

Do theory test at AA and pass
Cheers Ted - that looks like more fun than reading the book.
Old Mar 18th 2008, 9:08 am
Winter hibernator

Ted Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by luvwelly View Post
Cheers Ted - that looks like more fun than reading the book.
I brought the book but never read it. Kerry found the website and well ........

just be aware that some of the piccies with the car are a bit difficult to dee, especially the traffic lights, read the questions, learn the answers.

Saying that I did the theory test on Saturday and it's more common sense, there are some questions that may catch you out ie WOF questions and left hand turn.
Old Mar 18th 2008, 9:43 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

just be aware that some of the piccies with the car are a bit difficult to dee, especially the traffic lights
I did the online test with the Road Code beside me so I could see the pictures more clearly - it made a lot more sense that way
Old Mar 18th 2008, 8:07 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simonmarkellis View Post
...I'm seeing the two fingered salute, the bird and the vigourously shaken fist signal. What I usually do is to tell them to @#$% off....
Mate, you need to improve your driving if even Kiwis are flipping you the bird!!

I never see such signals
Old Mar 18th 2008, 9:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RobClubley View Post
Mate, you need to improve your driving if even Kiwis are flipping you the bird!!

I never see such signals
It's more after they've done something stupid, i react, they react....

Anyway,

How much is the theory test?
Old Mar 18th 2008, 9:40 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

It's $79

The other day a car went up our street at about twice the speed limit. Knackered looking thing, driving like a c0ck.
Without thinking I made the "you are a w_anker" sign after it.
Then I realised that it could have been full of big lads who would come back and "have a word" with me. I was a bit concerned
Old Mar 18th 2008, 10:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Brilliant!! But wish they'd tell you what the right answer is....what's the 3 second rule (or was that 4 second?)
Old Mar 18th 2008, 10:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, not to do with the Road Code..... there are roadworks as you come into Beachlands as they are building a roundabout..... we sat in the queue yesterday waiting for the little guy with the Stop/Go board to let us through.... there are masses of Safety Barriers all around the siteworks.... my OH laughed and read out what it said on the bottom of each Safety Barrier "WARNING NOT TO BE USED AS A SAFETY BARRIER" eh???
Old Mar 18th 2008, 10:39 pm
Winter hibernator

Originally Posted by j19fmm View Post
Brilliant!! But wish they'd tell you what the right answer is....what's the 3 second rule (or was that 4 second?)
2 second rule = travelling distance on a good day

3 second rule = indicatoring time before manovure (yeah right)

4 second rule = travelling distance on a bad day
Old Mar 19th 2008, 12:26 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

My wife is having a bad day - I better remind her to use the 4 second rule.
Old Mar 19th 2008, 1:22 am
Happy in Wellington

Originally Posted by southerner View Post
My wife is having a bad day - I better remind her to use the 4 second rule.

I find it best to stay out of the way of my wife on a bad day!
Old Mar 19th 2008, 8:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

(Seriously) can someone tell me if there is another country that gives vehicular traffic a green light, and at the same time gives pedestrians a green light to cross in front of them?

And can someone tell me why cyclists seem to think they dont have to stop at red lights or pedestrian crossing?