Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Offered a relocation package!

Offered a relocation package!

Old Jul 10th 2011, 4:48 pm
Forum Regular

HelsnLee has a brilliant futureHelsnLee has a brilliant futureHelsnLee has a brilliant futureHelsnLee has a brilliant futureHelsnLee has a brilliant futureHelsnLee has a brilliant future
Default Offered a relocation package!

Hi all,

Just wanted to introduce myself my oh has been offered a relocation package with his work to nz. We have 2 children 4yr(daughter) and 1yr(son). Feeling nervous but excited! Its still a long way off but wanted to learn as much as possible about our potential new home.
Been reading lots of threads to get info about places to live schools childcare cost of living etc. Never been to NZ but oh company paying for trip out in few months time to decide on location before committing.....Can't wait!!
Helenx
Old Jul 11th 2011, 8:27 am
BE Enthusiast

florabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Offered a relocation package!

Hi Helen, welcome to the forum. You will hopefully find loads of useful info on here. Great news about the relocation...where are you concentrating your search?
Old Jul 15th 2011, 7:04 pm
Forum Regular

HelsnLee has a brilliant futureHelsnLee has a brilliant futureHelsnLee has a brilliant futureHelsnLee has a brilliant futureHelsnLee has a brilliant futureHelsnLee has a brilliant future

Hi! We are hoping to go to the north island if it is possible but having never been out there....not really sure!
Cant wait to fly out and see....I hear the south can be a wee bit cold coming from the valleys in wales it doesnt bother me lol
My daughter will be starting school over here in september so an area with good schools would be essential if anyone could shed some light for me.
The other question was has anyone taken over their car and is it worthwhile?
All advice is much appreciated...my head is reeling with decisions to make!
Thanks
Old Jul 18th 2011, 11:22 am
Forum Regular

rachmac has a brilliant futurerachmac has a brilliant futurerachmac has a brilliant futurerachmac has a brilliant futurerachmac has a brilliant futurerachmac has a brilliant future

Hi Hels,

Where are you from? I was just looking at photos of Otago (the region I'm heading to), and thinking how much they look like Wales and a little voice at the back of my mind said 'why dont you just move back to wales then?!?' ha ha!!
Old Jul 18th 2011, 1:05 pm
Forum Regular

Hey, we live about 20 mins from Cardiff. I lived in Cambridge for a few years and u do miss the mountains and greenery of Wales!
Where were u from?
I cant believe you're going so quickly....there are no flies on you! lol
Must help having family out there!
Keep checking inbox to find out when we are flying out to nz....patience is a virtue I don't possess!
you get the momentum you need to be there for September!
Helsx
Old Jul 18th 2011, 5:33 pm
Forum Regular

rachmac has a brilliant futurerachmac has a brilliant futurerachmac has a brilliant futurerachmac has a brilliant futurerachmac has a brilliant futurerachmac has a brilliant future

I was about 10- 15 mins east of cardiff

If I was you I'd be hitting the refresh button every few minutes! I'm bad enough as it is, keep checking my inbox for emails from my new employers!
Old Jul 18th 2011, 8:08 pm
Forum Regular

johnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nice

Originally Posted by HelsnLee
Hi! We are hoping to go to the north island if it is possible but having never been out there....not really sure!
Cant wait to fly out and see....I hear the south can be a wee bit cold coming from the valleys in wales it doesnt bother me lol
My daughter will be starting school over here in september so an area with good schools would be essential if anyone could shed some light for me.
The other question was has anyone taken over their car and is it worthwhile?
All advice is much appreciated...my head is reeling with decisions to make!
Thanks
I believe the locals claim the south is better because it does have four proper seasons

Once you have a short list of areas check the local schools on the Ministry of Education website and also look at their ERO reports (and ask people on here!)

If you have a particular attachment to your car or it is an upmarket or niche european car then it might be worth the couple of thousand pounds to ship it but check the spares situation e.g. is that particular model / engine imported into NZ as the manufacturers tend to offer a much more limited range in NZ.

John.
Old Jul 19th 2011, 8:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Luckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of light

Welcome Helen and good luck with your plans, hope all goes well
Luckybird
Old Jul 19th 2011, 2:16 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks John for the sound advice!

I shall definitely be asking people when we have narrowed down a few areas!

Our car isn't upmarket enough or unique to ship and on reflection not worth the cost. My OH company are paying for shipping fees but would probably benefit from selling car prior to move.

Rach, we must be from same area....I currently live in Cwmbran hope ur plans are progressing well!
Old Jul 20th 2011, 7:38 pm
Forum Regular

Ha Ha!! My sister lives in Cwmbran, I'm from Newport but moved to Brum for my job. If I'd have known I would've called in for a cuppa, I was in Newport last night!! Small world!
Old Jul 21st 2011, 8:04 am
Forum Regular

Ha ha! It is a small world! pop in for a cuppa next time lol!
How are your plans coming along! Mine are very slow still tapping my fingers waiting to hear when we are flying out!
Been having a look at places and I quite like the look of Papamoa ...hope its a possibility!
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 6:41 pm
Forum Regular

I'll PM you, or this thread could get very long and probably a bit boring for everyone else
Old Jul 26th 2011, 5:24 pm
We're HERE!!!

Kija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Helen, welcome to the forum

If you want loads and loads of info about New Zealand you've come to the right place, and if you don't find what you're looking for just ask - lots of helpful forumites here

Wishing you the best of luck with your plans