British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Offered a dream job in auckland (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/offered-dream-job-auckland-907999/)

doyley Jan 15th 2018 2:37 pm

Offered a dream job in auckland

Hi All,

After a fee months of back and forth with a prospective employer, I've been offered a job in NZ, me and my family are now starting the big task of getting over there.

I'm waiting for my offer to come to apply for my work visa, meanwhile we are looking for somewhere to live, getting ready to move.

We would like to move somewhere near Auckland, I have 2 kids to bring aswell so need to know about schools and nice area's.

Any advice regarding the move would be great, it's all been talk until last Friday when the offer etc al got agreed, now its time to actually move, looking for help from those who have done it.

simonsi Jan 15th 2018 5:44 pm

Re: Offered a dream job in auckland

Replace "Auckland" in your question with "London" and you will start to get an idea of the difficulty in answering that question.

Auckland is full of nice areas to live on a wide range of budgets - what is yours? Commute can also be a big issue - where will you be based for work? Schools are normally zoned...how old are your kids?

Bit more info will help...

MrsFychan Jan 16th 2018 1:47 am

Ho Doyley,

so what visa are you uplifting?
As simonsi says Auckland is quote large and costs are fairly high, so more information required.

good place to start for price is trademe or realestate co nz.

doyley Jan 16th 2018 8:04 am

Hi,

Visa 2 year temp work visa, for now just doing it now.

Been pointed in the direction of hobsonville, anyone heard of it? office is in Henderson, but I'll be all around the north island working.

Kids are 9 and 5.

Budget is around 650-700nzd per week to rent a house.

What seemed to take a long time is suddenly happening fast......

thanks for your help

Stuck in Auckland Jan 16th 2018 8:16 am

Originally Posted by doyley (Post 12419857)
Hi,

Visa 2 year temp work visa, for now just doing it now.

Been pointed in the direction of hobsonville, anyone heard of it? office is in Henderson, but I'll be all around the north island working.

Kids are 9 and 5.

Budget is around 650-700nzd per week to rent a house.

What seemed to take a long time is suddenly happening fast......

thanks for your help

www.trademe.co.nz
www.realestate.co.nz
www.homes.co.nz

These should get you going on some house research and pricing of cars/furniture.

Google maps will help show travel times around from your intended office and potential suburbs.

New tunnel that side of town has opened up the commutting (not sure myself on that part of town but colleagues inform me it has provided a dramatic change in their western commutes.

Be wary accommodation is highly expensive as percentage of income, and cost does not link to quality.

simonsi Jan 16th 2018 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by doyley (Post 12419857)
Been pointed in the direction of hobsonville, anyone heard of it?

Well of course we have...TBH West Auckland is your best bet, close to the office and good road links South via the new tunnel link to the Southwestern Motorway and North via SH16 missing out the bad section of the Northern Motorway.

West Auckland varies between semi-urban suburbs and quite rural countryside out further West. Schools are all zoned though so you will probably need 2-6 weeks after arriving to scout schools then find a rental in the right zone(s).

A Rush And A Push Jan 17th 2018 4:22 am

Hobsonville is fine - lots of new development there and some great parks/waterside pathways and cycleways etc. A bit further up from Hobsonville, Greenhithe is nice.
I’d also consider Henderson Valley, Oralia and Titirangi - some of the nicer areas in west Auckland and all fairly close to Henderson. First 2 are semi-rural. There’s a few scruffy bits of west Auckland, Ranui, some of Glen Eden, some of Kelston, some of Glendene...they’re not horrendous but there’s nicer places to live (I’ve lived in west Auckland for 10 yrs)

Bo-Jangles Jan 17th 2018 5:30 am

Lots to choose from, I would also suggest take a look at North West areas around Kumeu, Riverhead & Waimauku. Not sure how they fare with regard to schools though.

A Rush And A Push Jan 17th 2018 6:36 am

Don’t go searching for Oralia on maps - I spelt it wrong. It’s Oratia.

doyley Jan 22nd 2018 9:15 am

Thanks everyone found loads on google maps, and a few golf courses.....

Have agreed i'll go over for 2 months, to get everything set up for the family etc, got good relocation package too.

Only a Visa to get now.....

We are all so excited, just have to keep reading the bad stuff for the reality check.