British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Offer on our house (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/offer-our-house-375722/)

nickcharliepark May 25th 2006 9:23 pm

Offer on our house

hi

Oh my god, we have finally got an offer on our house. I didn't think we would ever sell - fingers crossed nothing goes wrong now!

Time to start doing all the things we have been putting off until the house sold. We need to get quotes for shipping, I recall previous threads saying PSS are okay - anyone any other recommendations as I would like a few quotes. Any questions or pitfalls to look out for?

We also need to find a reliable agent for shipping our beloved Old English sheepdog - any suggestions gratefully received.

regarding finance, I recall people recommending HIFX any others? How did people go on with requesting IRD numbers - it needs an address on the form, do people put current British address or expected work address?

I believe we can set up a bank in NZ from here online? Anyone in Tauranga that can tell us which banks have local branches there as that is where we are heading.

Sorry for all the questions, but I know that people can help out with these things!!

Cheers

Nick and Charlie

Herm May 25th 2006 9:30 pm

Re: Offer on our house

[QUOTE=nickcharliepark]hi

I believe we can set up a bank in NZ from here online? Anyone in Tauranga that can tell us which banks have local branches there as that is where we are heading.

Hi - All banks have branches in Tauranga. National, Westpac, BNZ, ANZ etc etc - they are all here.

Cheers

Gill and Rob May 26th 2006 6:15 am

Originally Posted by nickcharliepark
hi

Oh my god, we have finally got an offer on our house. I didn't think we would ever sell - fingers crossed nothing goes wrong now!

How did people go on with requesting IRD numbers - it needs an address on the form, do people put current British address or expected work address?

Sorry for all the questions, but I know that people can help out with these things!!

Cheers

Nick and Charlie

COngratulations
Why not ask at the HR dept of where you will be working to use them for your IRD number.
Cheers
Gill

planty May 26th 2006 8:17 am

hi

Nick and Charlie

Congratulations, hope your sale runs as smoothly as is should. :)

nickcharliepark May 26th 2006 8:20 am

Originally Posted by planty
Congratulations, hope your sale runs as smoothly as is should. :)

Thanks

All sensible advice, of which I am grateful. I was too excited to think straight yesterday!

I will email HR at Tauranga and ask if I can use them for IRD number.

Sorry more questions, do I have to wait for an IRD number before I can open a bank account?

Thanks in advance for your help

Nick

brackley May 26th 2006 8:58 am

we have had several peoople around for quotes re shipping and found pss to be the most professional and helpful. if you say you got the info from the immigration exibition they will reduce the price by 5%. we have provisionally booked them for the 21 june. once you confirm a date you send them £250 deposit and the account has to be paid once the stuf has been taken. hope this helps you. good luck with the continued sale of your house

ledge May 26th 2006 5:15 pm

Try Golden Arrow 01588 680240 (no website) - they've just (yesterday) quoted me £3596 for two Beardies from Manchester to Wellington or Auckland, which is £3k for the flights and £596 for handling all the medical stuff.

Animal Airlines are £3200 to Auckland, just flights. I like the approach of both of them, but Golden Arrow impressed me when I gave them the heights of my dogs and he said "I think Beardies are a bit taller than that...measure them again when they're sat down as Beardies tend to carry their heads low when stood up" - clearly a man who knows his dogs!

Only downside is that they use Air NZ and I'd planned to fly Emirates, but I don't fancy us arriving in Auckland at the same time as the dogs arrive direct to Wellington and nobody being there to meet them. :(

On the banking side, I've set up an account from here with Westpac (well I am going to be working for them ;) ) which was unbelievably easy.

Good luck,
Laurence

Gill and Rob May 26th 2006 9:02 pm

Thanks

All sensible advice, of which I am grateful. I was too excited to think straight yesterday!

I will email HR at Tauranga and ask if I can use them for IRD number.

Sorry more questions, do I have to wait for an IRD number before I can open a bank account?

Thanks in advance for your help

Nick

We opened out NATIONAL bank account while we were still in the UK. Did it over the phone. We arranged to pick up cheque book etc from the Auckland Queens St branch. At that stage I don't think we had collected our IRD numbers from the nursing agency we used to find me a job. We used the agency address to get IRD numbers and the letters were there when we called at the agency office.

Cheers
Gill

nickcharliepark May 27th 2006 4:18 pm

Thanks everyone, this is all very helpful. I will try the dog man - it does inspire confidence in you if they know what they are talking about. It's horrible enough the thought of shipping our dog, so anything that makes it easier! Although it is more expensive for the dog than both of us put together!

Nick

Spacecake799 May 27th 2006 4:57 pm

hi

Time to start doing all the things we have been putting off until the house sold. We need to get quotes for shipping, I recall previous threads saying PSS are okay - anyone any other recommendations as I would like a few quotes. Any questions or pitfalls to look out for?

We also need to find a reliable agent for shipping our beloved Old English sheepdog - any suggestions gratefully received.

regarding finance, I recall people recommending HIFX any others? How did people go on with requesting IRD numbers - it needs an address on the form, do people put current British address or expected work address?

Cheers

Nick and Charlie

Hi Nick & Charlie
After reading a book called A new life in New Zealand, about a young family who recently moved there, they used Golden Arrow Shippers to ship there two dogs over. It cost them £2000 and they highly recommended them. The number is 01588 680240. Hope this helps