Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The Off Topic Posts From the ChCh Thread!

The Off Topic Posts From the ChCh Thread!

Old Jun 18th 2009, 4:01 am
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Off Topic Posts From the ChCh Thread!

Actually, your right. For 2008, Canterbury had 12 homicides I don't know how many of those were specifically in Christchurch itself. Auckland (central, east and west) had 9. Surprisingly BOP had 11.

However, for serious assualts BOP 2,161, Auckland 1,619 and Canterbury 1,563. Robberies: Auckland 485, Canterbury 226 and BOP 128. Grevious assualts: Auckland 398, Canterbury 383 and BOP 519.

Crimes per 10,000 population: Central Christchurch 3,295, Auckland City Central 4,080.

Hence, I don't think Christchurch is a more crime ridden place than any other popular areas to live.
Old Jun 18th 2009, 6:52 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Christchurch, is is really like Cambridge UK?

Originally Posted by janek
Thanks Mgee

You should have been nominated for post of the month!
What she said! In my opinion that's the best post I've read for ages!
Old Jun 18th 2009, 7:20 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

You know when you suddenly notice a ticking clock, although you may have been in the same room with it for ever but never noticed it before? And then you can't hear anything else? That's what I always think it's like for Browner. I reckon he can probably hear a noisy exhaust when it's not even anywhere near his street and I can tell ye that I'd probably be very like him if I wasn't already wearing earplugs that block out up to 34 decibels because of my husband's snoring and if we had constant noise on our street. If you're the type of person who can sleep through anything then fair play to ye but for me I'm just awake at the slightest noise (not a great thing for someone with a husband who snores like mine does! ) and I don't think you have to love or hate New Zealand to feel sympathy for someone who suffers from noise pollution like Browner does.

I've lived in four countries and been happy in every single one of them. I suppose if there was one that stands out it would have to be The Netherlands but that might be because it was where I met my husband. There were things there that drove me mad too. And as for shopping for groceries over there! haha - never mind not getting what you're used to - you've got to decipher what the labels are saying first! I remember thinking I was buying pork but got minced beef instead

If you're always happy with your life you're on good meds (or something ). You just have to be happy more often than you're not because if it's the other way around then it's up to you to do something to change it. It's not up to the country you're living in or even another person - just YOU.
Old Jun 18th 2009, 9:43 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Batty, I think you have hit the nail on the head. Having been the victim of noise pollution for a couple of years in the UK. The old guy next door used to come home from the pub & put his music on really loud a couple of times a week. At other times he would start doing DIY at 11pm. If our neighbours had their tv on & we were watching the same channel then we didn't need our sound on . It drove us demented, I was so happy when we moved.

It's a good job UK law is not like the USA in regard to gun ownership because I swear I would've taken him out & I'm not a violent person normally. Just shows how extreme stress & lack of control of a situation can affect a person.
Old Jun 19th 2009, 2:30 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Thumbs up Re: Christchurch, is is really like Cambridge UK?

Originally Posted by Batty
What she said! In my opinion that's the best post I've read for ages!
Originally Posted by janek
Thanks Mgee
You should have been nominated for poster of the month!
There is always next months nominations & votes
Old Jun 19th 2009, 2:43 pm
Northern Monkey

adamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to all

[QUOTE=TeamEmbo;7675299]Actually, your right. For 2008, Canterbury had 12 homicides I don't know how many of those were specifically in Christchurch itself. Auckland (central, east and west) had 9. Surprisingly BOP had 11.

Well as a Manc moving to Canterbury (via Oz), I'm pretty impressed by those figures, you get that those figures in a fortnight in Manchester.
Old Jun 19th 2009, 11:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute

Not many people live there tho!
I blame the skin heads personally!
Old Jun 21st 2009, 11:10 pm
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=adamlt1972;7680533]
Originally Posted by TeamEmbo
Actually, your right. For 2008, Canterbury had 12 homicides I don't know how many of those were specifically in Christchurch itself. Auckland (central, east and west) had 9. Surprisingly BOP had 11.

Well as a Manc moving to Canterbury (via Oz), I'm pretty impressed by those figures, you get that those figures in a fortnight in Manchester.
Old Jun 21st 2009, 11:10 pm
TeamEmbo

Originally Posted by pricklykina
Not many people live there tho!
I blame the skin heads personally!
The Canterbury figures include Christchurch
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 8:56 am
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute

they do...that's right )....wouldn't get me there though.
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 9:40 pm
TeamEmbo

Originally Posted by pricklykina
they do...that's right )....wouldn't get me there though.
nor me TBH. I wouldn't want to live in the city (any city). Much prefer a more rural life.