Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Off to Brazil on day release

Off to Brazil on day release

Old Nov 11th 2014, 6:13 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Angry Off to Brazil on day release

So from what I gather:
- Passport office issues a criminal using a false name who wasn't eligible to leave New Zealand.
- Department of Corrections let a murderer out on day release without a way of tracking him.
- He declared he had more than $10k in cash to Customs who cleared him to fly.
- It took more than a day to notify INTERPOL we might have slightly, accidentally, lost a pedophile and killer via an international flight. At which point he had been through two countries.

Now, if I recall correctly, I had a coworker once who was pulled aside from a flight to Australia because his wife had a parking ticket.

As much as it's important to catch this guy I also have a few questions for government departments. Well...just one question really: HOW?
Old Nov 11th 2014, 7:39 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Off to Brazil on day release

the passport he got was by using his birth names couple of years ago . from what I understood from watching a bit of news earlier a lady, unsure who she was as came in half way through, said that they were fully aware that he often used his birth name as well as the Smith tag so both names should of been highlighted to the appropriate agencies, he also should of had a charge against his birth name so no passport application would be accepted.

Looks like a few mistakes by a number of agencies few years back enabled this to happen. we can only hope that anyone who enabled him to lodge an application will be prosecuted
Old Nov 11th 2014, 7:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

And I see Mr Key was a total embarrassment again; add insult to injury and make a big joke about the whole thing.

What an arse! Every time he opens his mouth bullshit comes out.
Old Nov 11th 2014, 7:10 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

And the lawyer interviewed yesterday who pretty much said that he's no harm to anyone all the way over there! I nearly choked! He's a very dangerous, manipulative, intelligent paedophile and murderer who is showing plenty of signs of psychopathy too - how lucky there aren't actually any people living in South America who could be at risk from this man
Old Nov 11th 2014, 7:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

SSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond repute

He's also spoken about the injustices in the prison system over here as well. He's very arrogant isn't he!
Old Nov 12th 2014, 3:22 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Off to Brazil on day release

Agreed, we probably owe a massive apology to Brazil. What does one do in these situations, buy flowers or bake a cake?
Old Nov 12th 2014, 11:23 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Smile Re: Off to Brazil on day release

Originally Posted by SSky
He's also spoken about the injustices in the prison system over here as well. He's very arrogant isn't he!
Yet went to Brazil and will now enjoy a stay in Ary Franco...a prison the UN described as medeivaleaque and no doubt the scene of much VBRJ.

Just can't please some people.
Old Nov 13th 2014, 12:41 am
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

From THIS LINK;

Originally Posted by Phillip Smith (Traynor)
Why did you choose Brazil?

I cannot at this point confirm that I have chosen Brazil or another country. What I will say however is that I conducted some research and found that New Zealand would have considerable difficulty in extraditing me back, even if my location did become compromised. My legal advice confirms the same. [This advice was not from my current lawyer]

It is thus highly unlikely that I will be returned to New Zealand under the national law of my host country, and attempts to do so will involve lengthy legal process. It is not just a matter of finding me and then the New Zealand Police coming to pick me up. The correct legal process must be followed.
We'll see just how long it take for them to get him back to New Zealand.

Did Smith think he was going to going to protected by the lack of extradition treaty that someone like Ronnie Biggs benefitted from?

Without knowing pretty much anything about the law on this, certainly from a Brazilian point of view, I can't see many countries that would be unwilling to extradite a convicted murderer and pedophile.

Even Brazil's questionable political and legal systems wouldn't want this sort of press.

Whilst his intelligence got him out of the country, apparently he's had poor advice about countries that wouldn't be willing to extradite him.
Old Nov 13th 2014, 12:56 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Deportation rather than extradition.
Old Nov 13th 2014, 2:33 am
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

One wonders if he's just getting a kick out exposing a massive failing in law, processes and protocol here all whilst increasing his infamy.

If he's been clever enough to get out of the country, if he wanted to disappear or go missing, certainly for longer than he has done he had a good chance of doing that, on recent form.

Instead he never disappeared at all, never even tried. He speaks out via his lawyer, answers questions posed to him by Radio New Zealand - this fella is looking for some airtime, isn't he?
Old Nov 13th 2014, 3:05 am
BE Enthusiast

LoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of light

Shades of George Wilder....
Old Nov 13th 2014, 9:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

It all seems like a bit of a cunning stunt, doesn't it?

I am pleased to see he's going to be getting a taste of the Brazilian hospitality at Ary Franco Hilton whilst on his jolly holidays. Reports on PrisonAdvisor say the cells are suitably 'dark, filthy, stuffy and infested with cockroaches and other insects.'
Old Nov 13th 2014, 7:22 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
It all seems like a bit of a cunning stunt, doesn't it?

I am pleased to see he's going to be getting a taste of the Brazilian hospitality at Ary Franco Hilton whilst on his jolly holidays. Reports on PrisonAdvisor say the cells are suitably 'dark, filthy, stuffy and infested with cockroaches and other insects.'
Can't they keep him there then. He seems to have been unhappy with the prison environment here, maybe dark and filthy are more 'his thing'.