Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Odd stuff about NZ.

Odd stuff about NZ.

Old Nov 16th 2011, 11:25 pm
grumpy bugger

theghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Odd stuff about NZ.

Originally Posted by RobClubley
I was a good boy.
so what went wrong?
Old Nov 16th 2011, 11:58 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by theghostofdustybin
am i the only person who spend many a happy evening as a young man exploding dog poo with bangers and firing rockets at my mates?

relax, clever kids will be ok, and the others ones we will call natural selection.

Oh I have a dog, he doesnt like fireworks. However he doesn't like electric tooth brushes, washing being folded, the vacuum, lawn mower or me shouting at the footie on the telly. He may have issues.

Have you even noticed how we suddenly forget all of the things we did as kids that p*ssed people off? Like we cared.

Sorry off topic... on you go..

some budding scientists made or bought the black powder ingredients only to take off eyebrows during inappropriate handling - oopps I forgot about static electricity..........

I used to make tetrasulphur tetranitride, when pure far more sensitive than C-4 - to shock, thermal shock, static, friction, over-purification, etc I have seen where all these worked to make it "go off" - and with the detonating power of many commercial explosives.

Once made 10g of it by accident (really from an azide that got mixed up in the labelling process, ooops), we almost called in the bomb squad, was I sweating in that H&S meeting - you bet.....

But still I see it as a tragedly when fireworks are abused (lighting them in the hand is that even though it might be fun) and people or animals suffer.
Old Nov 17th 2011, 12:12 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

so what went wrong?
not this:
Old Nov 17th 2011, 2:33 am
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute

Have you even noticed how we suddenly forget all of the things we did as kids that p*ssed people off? Like we cared.

Sorry off topic... on you go..
I never put a foot wrong, back-chatted my parents, nicked off school, grabbed an extra biscuit when parents weren't looking. I was a good girl

Old Nov 17th 2011, 2:42 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shirl
Yea sucks eh! When we were flying to USA recently a family turned up with all their kids in their nightclothes for the flight at Christchurch Airport, mind you it was 4am in the morning so they probably took them out of bed to go to the Airport! Kids walking round the airport in night clothes and sucking dummies, only in NZ! Or perhaps someone will know of other countries who adopt this attitude!
That sounds a totally reasonable practice to me
Old Nov 17th 2011, 9:03 am
you dewty owld maan!

Originally Posted by southerner
That sounds a totally reasonable practice to me
didn't mention that the kids were in their 30s

as Pams says "Only in New Zealand"
Old Nov 17th 2011, 9:56 am

sheene is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you even noticed how we suddenly forget all of the things we did as kids t
I can remember we used to take chloroform from the Biology lab and use it on the bus on the way home - the journey took half an hour, but so much quicker when comatosed!

Also remember being stopped by the police for riding my motorcycle round the estate - just because I was 14 and wearing a German army helmet instead of a crash helmet- picky or what. (They just laughed and told me to ride it straight home - happy days)
Old Nov 17th 2011, 5:11 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lardyl
didn't mention that the kids were in their 30s

as Pams says "Only in New Zealand"
That made me laugh!
Old Nov 18th 2011, 9:46 am
you dewty owld maan!

Originally Posted by sheene
I can remember we used to take chloroform from the Biology lab and use it on the bus on the way home - the journey took half an hour, but so much quicker when comatosed!

Also remember being stopped by the police for riding my motorcycle round the estate - just because I was 14 and wearing a German army helmet instead of a crash helmet- picky or what. (They just laughed and told me to ride it straight home - happy days)
lol - the cops would be issuing some fixed penalty notice thingy/ASBO nowadays....

like the chloroform one - did you try it on the driver? that would have been interesting.....
someone in the class took some phenoltheialin (sp?) indicator liquid and added a couple of drops to chemistry teacher's tea, I must say it is a potent laxative......
Old Nov 18th 2011, 11:31 pm

sheene is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lardyl
lol - the cops would be issuing some fixed penalty notice thingy/ASBO nowadays....

like the chloroform one - did you try it on the driver? that would have been interesting.....
someone in the class took some phenoltheialin (sp?) indicator liquid and added a couple of drops to chemistry teacher's tea, I must say it is a potent laxative......
Jeez - glad I didn't work at your school!!!

One boy nicked some chemicals, put them in a paper bag and carefully placed it under the wheel of a teachers car - exploded when they drove off - not bad, just enough to make him think the tire had blown. He is probably working for the MoD weapons department now.

Thinking about it, we were deviant little pluckers, but at least we had some knowledge of science, so it was the teachers own fault for educating us too well. Tell you what though, in all my years at school I never, ever once saw the level of disrespect that I see now.

Sue is working in a child care center at the moment and in the past 2 weeks she has been sworn at, kicked, punched and bitten - by 3 year olds. Right there.
Old Nov 19th 2011, 12:08 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

What about that strange bald guy in the "Pure" energy drink adverts? How much would you pay for you husband not to become like him?

I think the sports and energy drink market is saturated at this point. My supermarket has an entire isle devoted to flogging these.
Old Nov 19th 2011, 1:15 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Charismatic
What about that strange bald guy in the "Pure" energy drink adverts? How much would you pay for you husband not to become like him?

I think the sports and energy drink market is saturated at this point. My supermarket has an entire isle devoted to flogging these.
You looked like a strange bald guy holding a cat, if that was your photo
Old Nov 19th 2011, 9:47 am
you dewty owld maan!

Originally Posted by love30stm

yeah and I'm Roger Moore
or is that Austin Powers??
Old Nov 19th 2011, 9:48 am
you dewty owld maan!

Originally Posted by Charismatic
......I think the sports and energy drink market is saturated at this point. My supermarket has an entire isle devoted to flogging these.
like the stuff in the bottles......flowing all along the rows of groceries
Old Nov 19th 2011, 9:49 am
Forum Regular

martyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by love30stm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.