Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Childcare Auckland northshore?

Childcare Auckland northshore?

Old Oct 30th 2018, 8:26 pm
Just Joined

Alicia151 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Childcare Auckland northshore?

Hi guys, can anybody please help me find out what kind of childcare is available in Auckland... moving in January and have a 2 year old... my parents live out in new Zealand and a few ‘kindergarten’ are not willing taking on children under 2years and 8 months?
Is this the norm?
Thanks 🙂
Old Oct 31st 2018, 8:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Childcare Auckland northshore?

Havent heard that before.
My little grandy was in a kindy on the north shore at 18 months. The family recently moved to Mount Eden and there was no trouble
finding another. she is now 27 months.
Old Oct 31st 2018, 11:42 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

See here:

https://www.newzealandnow.govt.nz/li...care-preschool

Funding kicks in at 3yrs old which maybe why there was some pushback, but then it could have been based on availability of spaces. Might be better to get up in the night and call them yourself???
Old Nov 1st 2018, 1:10 am
Forum Regular

A Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.aka.org.nz
Kindergartens and daycares are separate things. Kindergartens run from age 3/nearly 3 til 5 and are run by a charitabke organisation, the Auckland Kindergarten Association. They have a shorter day (usually about 8.30-3) and were started when most families just had one parent working. - they weren’t designed to cover working hours but to get kids ready for school and start learning through play.
Daycares (what are called nurseries in the UK) are privately run and will be open from about 7/7.30 til 5.30/6. The one I used to work at took babies from the age of 6 weeks all the way through to 5 years (when school starts). If you google daycares and the area you’re going to you’ll find plenty.
There are also childminders, many work through organisations like Porse which provide training/resources for the childminders. https://porse.co.nz/
Old Nov 4th 2018, 8:28 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by A Rush And A Push
https://www.aka.org.nz
Kindergartens and daycares are separate things. Kindergartens run from age 3/nearly 3 til 5 and are run by a charitabke organisation, the Auckland Kindergarten Association. They have a shorter day (usually about 8.30-3) and were started when most families just had one parent working. - they weren’t designed to cover working hours but to get kids ready for school and start learning through play.
Daycares (what are called nurseries in the UK) are privately run and will be open from about 7/7.30 til 5.30/6. The one I used to work at took babies from the age of 6 weeks all the way through to 5 years (when school starts). If you google daycares and the area you’re going to you’ll find plenty.
There are also childminders, many work through organisations like Porse which provide training/resources for the childminders. https://porse.co.nz/
Ahh amazing Thankyou so much for responding! That’s everything I need to know 🙂 thanks again x
Old Nov 4th 2018, 8:30 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Justcol
Havent heard that before.
My little grandy was in a kindy on the north shore at 18 months. The family recently moved to Mount Eden and there was no trouble
finding another. she is now 27 months.
Thanks for responding! Have just found out it’s daycare I need to look into instead.