Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

NZ's future..does it have one?

NZ's future..does it have one?

Old Jun 8th 2011, 10:33 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NZ's future..does it have one?

Originally Posted by waikatoguy
Hi guys,
I'm not an expat or anything. 50 yo born and bred in Hamilton. But hope you don't mind if I make a comment on this thread, which I found interesting.
If I may reassure Genesis, that ever since I was born, New Zealand has been going down the gurgler, according to media reports and discussions. I remember back in about 1980, some Australian TV station came over here for a story. They interviewed people that were saying NZ is history and they showed pictures of those ball of hay things rolling through the centre of a town, like in those ghost towns in old westerns.

So ... what's happened since that dire documentary of 1980? Population has increased by about 50%, with help from some of you guys immigrating here, our dollar has increased in value, our quality of life has improved ... and so on.

Don't worry about dire predictions of doom. It's not going to happen. They've always been there. We're a small country and sometimes tend to have an inferiority complex. Some of us, like myself, realise its paradise here. Believe me. In Hamilton, for example, things are booming economically. Many of those going to Oz are the unemployed and disaffected who are being replaced by better qualified and more positive people from the UK (mainly) plus Asia and South Africa. And also, many return, when they get the Australian adventure reality check. We're set up well for the future here. Water, remoteness from world problems, greenness ... we can't fail.
Bloody wise words
Old Jun 8th 2011, 11:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah me too, best first post by a newbie.

We don't know how lucky we are boys, we don't know how lucky we are...
Old Jun 8th 2011, 11:16 am

waikatoguy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
Bloody wise words
Thanks ... may I call you biscuit? And to you too Woodlea.

Anyway, just wanted to add about the economy.
There are various factors that indicate things are in good shape for the future.

The dollar is increasing in value. This means that independent financiers around the world have confidence in our economic future, because they are investing in it. I remember when the dollar was in the high 20's to low 30's against the pound and about 40 against the US dollar. Our unemployment rate is at around the 6% mark I think. And it's currently similar to the Aussie rate. But I think they're expecting that to drop in the next 12 months. Everyone talks about the wages being low here in comparison to Oz. But on the other hand, our cost of living is lower, so there's a fair bit of a balancing out.

Last edited by waikatoguy; Jun 8th 2011 at 12:19 pm.
Old Jun 8th 2011, 7:44 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks ... may I call you biscuit?

Indeed you may

The dollar is increasing in value. This means that independent financiers around the world have confidence in our economic future,
Mmm, that may be but the moaning about the strengthening dollar on here is because if you've got cash you want to bring over it's worrying times. It's also damned expensive for the visiting rellies!

Generally I agree though that NZ isn't in bad shape and is increasingly looking like a stable sort of place in a rather uncertain global future.
Old Jun 8th 2011, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit

Mmm, that may be but the moaning about the strengthening dollar on here is because if you've got cash you want to bring over it's worrying times. It's also damned expensive for the visiting rellies!
Good point. That's why it's good to have these forums for you guys, because you see things from your perspective. While the increased value of the dollar shows confidence in our economy, and makes it cheaper for me to travel, it makes it more expensive for you guys to move here and for your visitors.
Old Jun 8th 2011, 9:25 pm
Forum Regular

Howick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant future

WaikatoGuy,

Just be careful with comments such as the COL is lower in NZ. If you compare the north shore of Sydney with Dunedin, absolutely, however, there are many variables at play & you cannot discount the disparity in average wages- between NZ & AUS.

On the flip side, there has been some interesting discussions through the Syd Morning Herald on whether household income of circa AUD$150k is enough to get by on, and many people have ventured that, it isn't.

I actually think NZ is positioned fairly well for the future, but the fact that has always been missing in NZ is strong leadership, to make the tough calls. John Key makes all the right noises, but the reality is that he is first & foremost, a politician, interested in getting re-elected. MMP complicates this & without a majority government, he cannot push through the changes that he really wants to do.

One other thing, I moved down from Canada 18 months ago after 14 years in the Canada & I believe the media plays a far more balanced role in terms of reporting on the economy., in Canada. I am continuously amazed by the negativity of the NZ media, but perhaps it also tells me something about kiwis, they buy newspapers which focus in on the negative- it's staggering in this country how the negative gets pronounced coverage.
Old Jun 8th 2011, 9:46 pm

Hi Howick,
I based my Cost of Living assessment on the respected Mercer survey (of the UK) of cities in the world.

They say:
Sydney (24) is Australia’s most expensive city followed by Melbourne (33) and Brisbane (55) while Adelaide (90) is the country’s least expensive city. Auckland (149) is the most expensive city in New Zealand while Wellington (163) is the cheapest.

So this study concluded that Sydney is the 24th most expensive city in the world to live in and Auckland the 149th.
http://www.mercer.com/costoflivingpr#Asia_Pacific

As far as the negativity of media is concerned, I agree with you entirely. Perhaps it's because we're a small country with not much exciting news and they have to try and invent things to fill up the space. Lol.
Old Jun 9th 2011, 1:19 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Auckland (149) is the most expensive city in New Zealand while Wellington (163) is the cheapest.

No, Wellington IS more expensive than auckland. full stop.
I visit Welly every 3 months so I can tell.

See the food & transport prices for a start in Welly (New World) HOw expensive is it? eh. Compared to albany. I don't want to go to detailes blah blah.

and lets not talk about house price, because its stupidly expensive everywhere. I do think house prices in Welly - overpriced for what's worth. don't you think? Most of houses in Welly are dirty old, rotten and inadequate but the prices...are just crazy. There are no new area or new houses, because physically there are no land to build. Thats one of number 1 reasons why should avoid living in Welly. NOt to mention earthquakes and CR@p weather.

Last edited by crap coffee; Jun 9th 2011 at 1:27 am.
Old Jun 9th 2011, 1:23 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Howick,
I based my Cost of Living assessment on the respected Mercer survey (of the UK) of cities in the world.

They say:
Sydney (24) is Australia’s most expensive city followed by Melbourne (33) and Brisbane (55) while Adelaide (90) is the country’s least expensive city. Auckland (149) is the most expensive city in New Zealand while Wellington (163) is the cheapest.

So this study concluded that Sydney is the 24th most expensive city in the world to live in and Auckland the 149th.
http://www.mercer.com/costoflivingpr#Asia_Pacific

As far as the negativity of media is concerned, I agree with you entirely. Perhaps it's because we're a small country with not much exciting news and they have to try and invent things to fill up the space. Lol.
Interesting - I hadn't realised how costly cities in Australia are. This study doesn't mention wages so I would be interested to see similar data compared to incomes. I had a quick google and didn't find anything. Anyone have a link? Not that I'm going anywhere! LOL. Auckland's pricey mainly in terms of property. Come out to Papakura and it's cheap, cheap, cheap!!!!!
Old Jun 9th 2011, 1:41 am

Originally Posted by jmh
Interesting - I hadn't realised how costly cities in Australia are. This study doesn't mention wages so I would be interested to see similar data compared to incomes.
Wages in Australia, on average, are better (not that I'm any kind of expert in this field), which I think is part of the reason for the higher cost of living I guess. Say, for example, a plumber is getting higher wages. It stands to reason he has to get that extra money from somewhere. The consumer pays ... through the roof.
Old Jun 9th 2011, 2:09 am
---

Wages in Australia, on average, are better (not that I'm any kind of expert in this field), which I think is part of the reason for the higher cost of living I guess. Say, for example, a plumber is getting higher wages. It stands to reason he has to get that extra money from somewhere. The consumer pays ... through the roof.
The trouble is it's way more complicated than those surveys make out- it depends *who* you are as well as where you live and what field of work you're in. Any easy way to compare is for a family of four to live in NZ on a nurse's salary (which is based on annual increments) and then in Australia on a nurse's salary (also based on annual increments). Even better if you can get that family to live outside of the main cities.

Oh, I did that

We found Australia to have a lower cost of living than NZ for a nurse supporting a family of four. There are just so many tax breaks and salary packaging deals over there, as well as cheaper groceries and utilities. We lose our Kiwi nurses in droves because they get a better deal over there and the reality is a lot of them don't come back. Shame. I think the education system is far better here, as is the access to the great outdoors. And the coffee's better
Old Jun 9th 2011, 2:23 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: NZ's future..does it have one?

But it is mostly educated professionals and skilled people who go. I've noticed that overall we have similar UN Human Development Index rankings but Australians do appear to have more disposable incomes and I think that diffrence in disposable income between countries is probably greatest for skilled workers.
Old Jun 9th 2011, 2:39 am

Originally Posted by Charismatic
But it is mostly educated professionals and skilled people who go.
Certainly a good proportion of the people going to OZ are educated professionals and skilled people. I'm not sure about mostly though. The ones you hear about are. A lot go to work in the huge wage paying mines. A lot are unskilled labourers trying to find work. A lot are truckers to work on the long hauls inter-city. I know it may sound hard to believe, but people have been leaving NZ for Oz since I was a youngster.

There was a famous quote by the Prime Minister, Rob Muldoon, in the late 70's

"I'm not worried about New Zealanders going to Australia," he said. "It raises the IQ of both countries."

We're still a vibrant country with a high standard of living. Auckland was recently rated the 4th best city in the world in terms of standard of living, I think I remember. This, despite people dropping over the ditch for 50 years.

Also, a high proportion of the people coming in are skilled professionals as well. From what I understand, the criteria to get in is pretty strict.

Well, that's what I reckon. I probably sound like I work as a PR agent for NZ or something. Lol.

Last edited by waikatoguy; Jun 9th 2011 at 2:44 am.
Old Jun 9th 2011, 6:48 am
Just Joined

sleepyone3 is an unknown quantity at this point

It's always interesting to get different perspectives on things like this. My husband and I moved to NZ nearly 5 years ago and really like it here. The future of any nation - or any region, town or suburb for that matter - is multi-dimensional. As someone not born in NZ I would say it has a lot going for it - space, less crowding, cleaner air.
Old Jun 9th 2011, 8:43 am
Forum Regular

Charlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant future

There was a famous quote by the Prime Minister, Rob Muldoon, in the late 70's

"I'm not worried about New Zealanders going to Australia," he said. "It raises the IQ of both countries."
Blimey, I remember that quote (as a kid in the seventies)! I also remember the Fred Dagg song "There's Rob Muldoon and Rowling, they havn't made a hit, they're ruining the country more than just a bit..."!

Wherever you live, there are always pros and cons, but some look at the bottle as half empty whilst others look at the bottle as half full. The only reason why we left NZ for the UK 10 years ago (and I originate from the UK), was purely financial, and in that time we have proved to ourselves that this was the right decision.

However, NZ has got bundles of positives - just like Waikatoguy (and others on the Forum) has pointed out - and it is these positives that people should take encouragement from. But for me, when deciding against remaining in NZ, I did not dwell on the negatives, just being positive on the move back to Blighty, which is why I continue to have NZ in my sights at some future date (although not whilst the pound remains weak!!!).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.