Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

NZ's future..does it have one?

NZ's future..does it have one?

Old May 28th 2011, 2:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NZ's future..does it have one?

Originally Posted by sel
Where abouts are you in NZ ? Would you like to live in Perth ?? We should house swap But then again ....

We did the UK to Perth jump 5 years ago, its been fun but I am now totally over oz due to the heat & mozzies. Every year it seems to get hotter and I pine for lush GREEN grass and the rain. I dont want to live in a dried up sand pit anymore.

We have the for sale sign going up within the next week or so and I cant wait .... NZ here we come !!!
Lush green grass on the east coast of Australia
Old May 28th 2011, 5:37 am
Forum Regular

Tray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Debbi****
How did you get along moving to Nelson ? We may shortly be leaving Linwood for another town in NZ, depending on where my husband can find work. Can you recommend a good moving company for moving within NZ ? We arrived from UK in February, the earthquake happened 4 days before we flew out & it was to late to change our plans We had been planning this since 2006 ! Y'know, just the small matter of having sold our house, quit our jobs, said goodbye to family etc in the weeks prior to our departure.

If no go on the job front we will be travelling back to UK without a backward glance when our lease expires on our rented home in late September.
Hi Debbie,
Re-locating to Nelson has been excellent for us thanks Good luck with your 2nd move- Bad timing hey- the after shocks I know are pretty full on too
I can't recommend a local removal firm sorry- we weren't impressed.
I would however, recommend Nelson as a possible re-location destination though! I have to say it's a top place, quite beautiful really & great people too. Move here if you can find work this way Don't say goodbye to the lovey kiwis, the big open skies & the warmer climate...don't do it
Old May 28th 2011, 7:21 am
Forum Regular

Debbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud of

Thanks for the reply. I wonder what made you choose Nelson ? What do you do for work ? Would you have considered moving to Nelson if it wasn't for the ChCh earthquakes ?
Old May 28th 2011, 12:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Michael Laws wrote a thought-provoking (controversial) piece for a change: at least he has the guts to tell it like it is: He says of NZ 'Not part of real civilisation but not quite Third World. Somewhere in-between.'

Smugly standing idle, with our hands out

in the space of just one generation, we have descended from developed to deadbeat. And we are borrowing $380 million a week to sustain such relative disgrace. If we stopped borrowing, the banana boat would already be here. This is because we are a smug people. We think that we live in the greatest country on the planet and that should be enough. It is the most infinite of mysteries to Kiwis as to why the world does not owe us a living.
For this that don't know Michael Laws, he was is a former National Party MP and Mayor of Wanganui.

Last edited by Bo-Jangles; May 28th 2011 at 12:40 pm.
Old May 28th 2011, 8:16 pm

Woodpigeon is an unknown quantity at this point

I find I quite like Michael Laws - tells it like it is with no frilling wrapping
Old May 28th 2011, 8:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond repute

I used to live in Wanganui, and like the place. I found myself sitting next to Michael Laws on a local flight, and having a chat with him, found him a very gracious and nice bloke. He has no 'side' to him, just tells it like it is IMHO.
Old May 28th 2011, 10:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Woodpigeon
I find I quite like Michael Laws - tells it like it is with no frilling wrapping
He is my hero. He has balls as big as the Albert Hall. He can be a knob sometimes but can't we all?
Old May 29th 2011, 5:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond repute

Think I saw something today saying interest rates are due to now being forecast to hit 10% by some group or other.

If that were true then there are going to be a lot of very troubled people out there.
Old May 29th 2011, 5:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Robbo25
Think I saw something today saying interest rates are due to now being forecast to hit 10% by some group or other.

If that were true then there are going to be a lot of very troubled people out there.
Good God, can you imagine what that will do to the economy AND the value of the already overpriced kiwi? As I have said a few times afore this country is heading into a shit storm..for many reasons. Poor fiscal policy, poor administration and an economy that relies on simply 2 things, pretty much dairy and tourism. The latter will die a death as the kiwi appears in the short term to be getting stronger and stronger and who knows what the world price for milk solids will be in 9 months time. If I was in business in NZ I would be shitting myself! Thank God Kate is in a secure public health job.
Old May 29th 2011, 6:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/5062...t-20-year-high
Old May 29th 2011, 6:17 am
BE Enthusiast

My mistake it was inflation not rates, but the effect would be fairly shattering too
Old May 29th 2011, 6:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Robbo25
My mistake it was inflation not rates, but the effect would be fairly shattering too
Not really a mistake..a major shit strom brewing either way eh?? 10% inflation WTF??????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????
Old May 29th 2011, 8:58 pm
Forum Regular

Tray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Debbi****
Thanks for the reply. I wonder what made you choose Nelson ? What do you do for work ? Would you have considered moving to Nelson if it wasn't for the ChCh earthquakes ?
Hi Debbie, will pm you
Old May 29th 2011, 9:13 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
AND being robbed of $80k takes a bit of the sweetness out of kiwi life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Genesis, you need to let this one go. I know it's hard (I know this because we lost more- in fact we lost everything including our home, though in different circumstances) but it's only you that's hurting and plenty of folk have lost more than us, plenty of folk have less to be thankful for.

Have you considered a change of scene? I know your partner's a nurse that gives you good options. Your kids are young enough to move and I don't see PN as that inspiring. Perhaps somewhere warmer and near the sea!
Old May 29th 2011, 10:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
Genesis, you need to let this one go. I know it's hard (I know this because we lost more- in fact we lost everything including our home, though in different circumstances) but it's only you that's hurting and plenty of folk have lost more than us, plenty of folk have less to be thankful for.

Have you considered a change of scene? I know your partner's a nurse that gives you good options. Your kids are young enough to move and I don't see PN as that inspiring. Perhaps somewhere warmer and near the sea!
No real wish to move, the kids are as happy as, Kate's career is rocking and whilst you may not think Palmy is inspiring (and many others too) it is a cool, easy place to live. There are endless things to do, we live in a great neighbourhood and have a great home here. Being closer to the beach would not change much. I tend to moan about NZ as a whole not my little bit of it. The driving is shite here and everywhere else I go. The problems are all over. Moving ain't going to get rid of them. Whilst the idea of a new place does pique me a bit I am too old and everyone else is way too settled to be making any moves now. Anyway we have spent so much money on upgrading our home we would lose shit loads in any move just now..or in years to come. We will stay here for the long term..at least until the kids are done with their education.

As for a crib by the beach, a 2nd home? Kate and I discussed buying a friend's bach recently that is by the sea. We concluded that less is more. When we want the beach we can simply rent a bach for the weekend...or just drive there for the monring or afternoon. I don'think I could face havng 2 houses to look after!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.