Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

NZ's future..does it have one?

NZ's future..does it have one?

Old May 27th 2011, 4:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NZ's future..does it have one?

Originally Posted by Catchafire
Ah, the crux of the matter.

I run two business here, my life feels at times like it is going a million miles a hour, I have created opportunities here just with my smarts and hard graft.

Genesis, do you mind if I ask what you do?
Kitchen bitch mate, and not a very good one! Gave up plod when I left the UK to become a full time 'mum'. Hardest yard I have ever done!! 6 years ago took on full time care of Elise and Isabelle 2 yrs and Felix 4. I am a kept man! Thinking of UCOL next year but don't know how I would fit it in to my domestic duties.
Old May 27th 2011, 5:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bellasmum
I hear you Genesis. Are you OK ? Your posts suggest that you have been going through a tough time recently.

I have a lot of family, friends and work colleagues living in Aus and they paint a story that suggests to me that the Aus that I lived in for quite a few years is no more. My advice to you if you are thinking of going to Aus is to make sure you have a job before you leave.

My brother is a customs officer and he tells me that Kiwi's who are flocking to Aus without jobs are really struggling to find work and as they run out of money they are homeward bond.

Hope life gets brighter for you, all the best.
I think the dog Kate chose to buy (with my blessing) is driving me mad. Endless problems with it. Kate has a new big job and she is doing her masters too. Added to that ALL my kids are off the behaviour scale these days..it just used to be Felix!!

Back on topic I have a cousin who lives in Oz and she does not speak very highly of it, however her kids and grand kids are settled there so she makes do. I guess I am not cut out for this domestic stuff full time!

I do realise the fact that some will love Oz some will hate it. Point is Oz must be taken as a serious choice these days when coming this far. I really do see NZ is going a very bad way, mainly because of poor fiscal policy. I am that pissed off with the current administration AND politicians generally I have chosen never to vote again. They never listen to us and like the religious leaders they are power mad IMO.

I now read that Moodys (a credit rating agency) are thinking of downgrading Nationwide's rating as the shit is really hitting the fan in the UK. It seems where ever I try to keep our money safe it is not!!! Maybe I should bring the lot over here..stuff the exchange rate. FFS Nationwide is the biggest mortgage co in the world..apparently! And they are being considered for a downgrade????

I guess I am a tad stressed at present!
Old May 27th 2011, 5:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
I think the dog Kate chose to buy (with my blessing) is driving me mad. Endless problems with it. Kate has a new big job and she is doing her masters too. Added to that ALL my kids are off the behaviour scale these days..it just used to be Felix!!

Back on topic I have a cousin who lives in Oz and she does not speak very highly of it, however her kids and grand kids are settled there so she makes do. I guess I am not cut out for this domestic stuff full time!

I do realise the fact that some will love Oz some will hate it. Point is Oz must be taken as a serious choice these days when coming this far. I really do see NZ is going a very bad way, mainly because of poor fiscal policy. I am that pissed off with the current administration AND politicians generally I have chosen never to vote again. They never listen to us and like the religious leaders they are power mad IMO.

I now read that Moodys (a credit rating agency) are thinking of downgrading Nationwide's rating as the shit is really hitting the fan in the UK. It seems where ever I try to keep our money safe it is not!!! Maybe I should bring the lot over here..stuff the exchange rate. FFS Nationwide is the biggest mortgage co in the world..apparently! And they are being considered for a downgrade????

I guess I am a tad stressed at present!
Sounds to me that you have plenty to be stressed about just.

I well remember the times of frustration being the "house bitch" in the family. I often felt caged in like a "stir crazy" prisoner, especially when the weather was like it has been recently.

You are doing a great thing Genesis, and a very constructive thing.

Your wife is getting the opportunity to further develop her career, and if you do decide to go to Aus she will be well placed to get a very good nursing management role as she will here.

We are all in very uncertain and testing times. I would not like to have to be making imigration decisions right now

We had our hands burnt badly in the 1987 stock market crash. The NZ market especially was hit hard with a 60% fall and it took some years to recover. At the time we couldn't see how it would ever recover.
Old May 27th 2011, 6:26 am
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

My advice to you if you are thinking of going to Aus is to make sure you have a job before you leave.
That holds true for any country and is what I'd say to anyone who is about to set foot on the emigration ladder.

The good thing about Australia from New Zealanders' point of view is that is it isn't that hard to go back again if it doesn't work out.

Different kettle of fish for anyone travelling across the globe though.
Old May 27th 2011, 6:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Sounds to me that you have plenty to be stressed about just.

I well remember the times of frustration being the "house bitch" in the family. I often felt caged in like a "stir crazy" prisoner, especially when the weather was like it has been recently.

You are doing a great thing Genesis, and a very constructive thing.

Your wife is getting the opportunity to further develop her career, and if you do decide to go to Aus she will be well placed to get a very good nursing management role as she will here.

We are all in very uncertain and testing times. I would not like to have to be making imigration decisions right now

We had our hands burnt badly in the 1987 stock market crash. The NZ market especially was hit hard with a 60% fall and it took some years to recover. At the time we couldn't see how it would ever recover.
Thank you for your kind words. Hey, as for fingers being burnt..I am surprised I have any left!!!
Old May 27th 2011, 7:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

For those who want to move to Aussie, just make sure you do your homework. We have lots of friends in Aussie, I'm told they have all the problems the UK have or any countries with big cities. Their drink & drug problems are huge, their crime rates equally as bad. The divide between Aussies & aboriginies is also huge & comes with it's problems.

Life is what you make it wherever you move & yes money helps! I earn far less here than I did in UK & money is becoming tight, but I'm staying put!
Old May 27th 2011, 7:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Boopy
For those who want to move to Aussie, just make sure you do your homework. We have lots of friends in Aussie, I'm told they have all the problems the UK have or any countries with big cities. Their drink & drug problems are huge, their crime rates equally as bad. The divide between Aussies & aboriginies is also huge & comes with it's problems.

Life is what you make it wherever you move & yes money helps! I earn far less here than I did in UK & money is becoming tight, but I'm staying put!
Indeed. Life to a degree is what you make it. Another saying that bodes well is 'life is like a shit sandwich, the more bread you have the less shit you have to eat'. Well taken on a percentage basis any way.

Point is we have more money to play with in Nz than we ever had in the Uk thus we live in a better neighbourhood, have a better standard of living, work less as a couple and have more money for 'fun'. Moreover I would say taken as a whole our life is more exciting in Nz than it was in the UK.

Nz with all its problems serves us well as we have a history here..if I had yet to make the jump I would give Oz a waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay bigger look see.

Still do not see NZ as a place for my kids to be come 15 years or so. Far more choice, better prospects likely to be had elsewhere.
Old May 27th 2011, 7:21 am
Forum Regular

Tray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of light

I have family in Sydney & it sounds like it's a bit too hot for my liking....not to mention busy (touch claustrophobic wot!!)....just like the UK only you have to stay in because of the bad not the good weather! too extreme for us.
1 tsunami warning & 2 earthquakes later.... we may have had to re-locate from Christchurch, but still think people are much nicer in NZ, we love the climate & as my son says it was sad we had to leave Sumner but he soooooo does not regret leaving the UK (so relieved!!!!!!!!!)
Old May 27th 2011, 7:23 am

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

Kitchen bitch mate, and not a very good one! Gave up plod when I left the UK to become a full time 'mum'. Hardest yard I have ever done!! 6 years ago took on full time care of Elise and Isabelle 2 yrs and Felix 4. I am a kept man! Thinking of UCOL next year but don't know how I would fit it in to my domestic duties.
Kudos to you for supporting your wife and family in this way. I know what it is like to bring up kids, isolated from those who would be around to provide support. It's really hard, especially having to relate to kids all day! It will drive you around the twist.

Genesis, I know we are not on the same page. But, IMO (and you can tell me to f%^& off) you need something more going on, apart from posting "I am sick to death of..." every time the price of tomatoes goes up (joke).

I see in another post you still have funds in the UK. The NZ dollar is only going to get stronger in the short term, especially against the EU zone currencies. Maybe you should transfer it now? I dont see the pound vs $ changing anytime soon.

Obviously you should not put it into a finance company, but invest in yourself brother.

Stephen.
Old May 27th 2011, 8:57 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tray
I have family in Sydney & it sounds like it's a bit too hot for my liking....not to mention busy (touch claustrophobic wot!!)....just like the UK only you have to stay in because of the bad not the good weather! too extreme for us.
1 tsunami warning & 2 earthquakes later.... we may have had to re-locate from Christchurch, but still think people are much nicer in NZ, we love the climate & as my son says it was sad we had to leave Sumner but he soooooo does not regret leaving the UK (so relieved!!!!!!!!!)
first of all I don't understand your english...

I believe if you live in a good area & have a nice house without mortage and have a good job and have lots of money then you probably wouldn't leave the UK. Because the UK isn't as bad as like some 3rd world countries after all. still think living somewhere in Europe is better than living in Pacific Ocean.
Old May 27th 2011, 9:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Catchafire
Kudos to you for supporting your wife and family in this way. I know what it is like to bring up kids, isolated from those who would be around to provide support. It's really hard, especially having to relate to kids all day! It will drive you around the twist.

Genesis, I know we are not on the same page. But, IMO (and you can tell me to f%^& off) you need something more going on, apart from posting "I am sick to death of..." every time the price of tomatoes goes up (joke).

I see in another post you still have funds in the UK. The NZ dollar is only going to get stronger in the short term, especially against the EU zone currencies. Maybe you should transfer it now? I dont see the pound vs $ changing anytime soon.

Obviously you should not put it into a finance company, but invest in yourself brother.

Stephen.
Cheers mate. I am sure that the kiwi will only grow stronger in the short term..who knows the long term eh? What does worry me is that the Nationwide UK is on the cusp of a fiscal downgrade..worrying times what?

We do not need the money here in either the short or long term. There is nothing I need the money for without sounding smug. I am happy with my old Honda, don't do boats, have more than enough for every day living etc.

What is nice is that when we go back to the UK we live like like lottery winners living way beyond our means as the money is pretty much useless anywhere else!!! If time was not an issue I would spend all of Dec and Jan every year in the UK. I do not like xmas a la kiwi, I love the UK in those months as it is less full on..no crowded beaches etc!

I may well go to college next year, woodwork or cookery, don't know yet. What I do know is that there is a change in the air and I need to do something more. Just started doing meals on wheels and intend to do more voluntary work. Which is nice.
Old May 27th 2011, 9:47 am
Forum Regular

Debbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Tray
How did you get along moving to Nelson ? We may shortly be leaving Linwood for another town in NZ, depending on where my husband can find work. Can you recommend a good moving company for moving within NZ ? We arrived from UK in February, the earthquake happened 4 days before we flew out & it was to late to change our plans We had been planning this since 2006 ! Y'know, just the small matter of having sold our house, quit our jobs, said goodbye to family etc in the weeks prior to our departure.

If no go on the job front we will be travelling back to UK without a backward glance when our lease expires on our rented home in late September.
Old May 27th 2011, 11:09 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crap coffee
first of all I don't understand your english...

I believe if you live in a good area & have a nice house without mortage and have a good job and have lots of money then you probably wouldn't leave the UK. Because the UK isn't as bad as like some 3rd world countries after all. still think living somewhere in Europe is better than living in Pacific Ocean.
CC I sometimes struggle to come to terms with your values in life.
Old May 27th 2011, 3:24 pm
sel
~~~

sel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond repute

Nz with all its problems serves us well as we have a history here..if I had yet to make the jump I would give Oz a waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay bigger look see.

Still do not see NZ as a place for my kids to be come 15 years or so. Far more choice, better prospects likely to be had elsewhere.
Where abouts are you in NZ ? Would you like to live in Perth ?? We should house swap But then again ....

We did the UK to Perth jump 5 years ago, its been fun but I am now totally over oz due to the heat & mozzies. Every year it seems to get hotter and I pine for lush GREEN grass and the rain. I dont want to live in a dried up sand pit anymore.

We have the for sale sign going up within the next week or so and I cant wait .... NZ here we come !!!
Old May 27th 2011, 6:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sel
Where abouts are you in NZ ? Would you like to live in Perth ?? We should house swap But then again ....

We did the UK to Perth jump 5 years ago, its been fun but I am now totally over oz due to the heat & mozzies. Every year it seems to get hotter and I pine for lush GREEN grass and the rain. I dont want to live in a dried up sand pit anymore.

We have the for sale sign going up within the next week or so and I cant wait .... NZ here we come !!!
Perth is one place I could not live. It is soooooo far from everywhere else. I think the only place I could live i Oz would be Tazzy, but I understand its full of boguns. Mozzies are an issue here you know..and sand flies...mind you only in summer eh? In Oz its summer 27/7 innit???? Eat lots of Matmite..thats wards off mozzies apparently.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.