Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

NZ's future..does it have one?

NZ's future..does it have one?

Old May 25th 2011, 8:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default NZ's future..does it have one?

A quarter of the population is AWOL. We are losing silly amounts of people to Oz every week. We have huge problems retaining really pivotal people like..well humans with a pulse for a start. Seriously though doctors and nurses can earn so much more elsewhere. Wages are crap, houses are about25% over valued as is our currency.

There is gold in them there hills but no one will go near it. We have an ever widening gap betwixt Moari and Pakeha. Some of the negative stats re Moari are awful, namely over representation in prisons, under representation in work, alcohol/sustance abuse, domestic violence, child violence..the list goes on.

We have P epedemic. Suicide..about 470 a year, thats way more than the deaths on our awfully dangerous roads. Where is NZ headed?? I hope my kids see a future elsewhere. Don't get me wrong NZ works for us just now but in the distant future I think a better future for my kids mat lie elsewhere.

Just some food for thought. One has to tell it like it is eh?
Old May 25th 2011, 8:38 am
Forum Regular

Debbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud of
Default Re: NZ's future..does it have one?

Hopefully. Myself and OH might be moving to Wanganui. Do they have a future ? Palmeston North - does it have a future ?
Old May 25th 2011, 8:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Debbi****
Hopefully. Myself and OH might be moving to Wanganui. Do they have a future ? Palmeston North - does it have a future ?
I doubt if Wanganui has a future, and if it does it certainly doesnt involve me!
Old May 25th 2011, 8:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
A quarter of the population is AWOL. We are losing silly amounts of people to Oz every week. We have huge problems retaining really pivotal people like..well humans with a pulse for a start. Seriously though doctors and nurses can earn so much more elsewhere. Wages are crap, houses are about25% over valued as is our currency.

There is gold in them there hills but no one will go near it. We have an ever widening gap betwixt Moari and Pakeha. Some of the negative stats re Moari are awful, namely over representation in prisons, under representation in work, alcohol/sustance abuse, domestic violence, child violence..the list goes on.

We have P epedemic. Suicide..about 470 a year, thats way more than the deaths on our awfully dangerous roads. Where is NZ headed?? I hope my kids see a future elsewhere. Don't get me wrong NZ works for us just now but in the distant future I think a better future for my kids mat lie elsewhere.

Have you been listening to Leonard Cohen again?

I have to say the economic future does not look bright.
One of the concerns is the lack of kiwi awareness of the plight, there are still many apparently demanding a Labour Helen Clark government who spends half the money and hands the rest to the lazy. That would be a disaster.

If there is a future it lies in getting the lazy sods of their asses by making it more rewarding to be in work than dozing on the benefit, and actually rewarding people who do better themselves by education and vocational training.
Old May 25th 2011, 9:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Debbi****
I really like Wanganui, cool place. Palmerston North is okay. If you have previously left a hell hole that was life in central Northampton it is pretty cruisy. It is a univesrsity town so it has some life about it. As for a future its probably one of the better places to be. Big university, Fonterra, Agresearch and lots of other big employers. However it is not beachside (40 mins away) so it does not have a big pull from that point. It has good shopping reasonably priced housing stock and is geographically very well located.
Old May 25th 2011, 9:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Browner_

I have to say the economic future does not look bright.
One of the concerns is the lack of kiwi awareness of the plight, there are still many apparently demanding a Labour Helen Clark government who spends half the money and hands the rest to the lazy. That would be a disaster.

If there is a future it lies in getting the lazy sods of their asses by making it more rewarding to be in work than dozing on the benefit, and actually rewarding people who do better themselves by education and vocational training.
Yes the economic future looks utterly dire. Especially if you listen to some of the really clued up fiscal commentators. There is a massive dole culture, ACC is not really working very well and has huge holes in its finances and the EQC is just about broke..what was it 350k claims from both Chch EQs??? OMG!!!!
Old May 25th 2011, 9:43 am
BE Enthusiast

bananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud of

Wanganui is yuck. All grey and dingy

Loads of people leave NZ for Oz, but many of those people actually go back to NZ when they realise the grass in Oz isnt as green as is advertised.

NZ is a beautiful country (it's my country so I am completely biased) but I followed the money and also went to Oz. If you do well in Oz, then you can do well...if not, then you are better off in NZ where, IMO, its a nicer country.

We have discussed coming back when my OHs (Brit) Visa runs out instead of renewing it. Not because we don't like Oz (we do) and not because we are struggling (we arent) but because NZ is such a lovely lovely little place.

Wages are the only thing that really lets it down unfortunately.
Old May 25th 2011, 10:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bananalana
Wages are the only thing that really lets it down unfortunately.
But, it's not about the money is it?
Old May 25th 2011, 10:39 am
BE Enthusiast

bananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
LOL, it shouldnt be. But I am greedy and quite happy to admit it
Old May 25th 2011, 10:48 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Things are really rosy in the UK everyone employed, bouyant market, no overcrowding, traffic free roads, no crime, zero taxes, cheap fuel bills, fantastic NHS system with no waiting lists, weather to die for, try a nice quite little market town like Northampton.......peace and serenity.....
Old May 25th 2011, 12:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Black Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Browner_

We have huge problems retaining really pivotal people like..well humans with a pulse for a start.
Ah Genesis, you're finally catching on

One has to tell it like it is, indeed - so what took you so long!
Old May 25th 2011, 12:39 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: NZ's future..does it have one?

New Zealand has a future, our fate has yet to be written. We have natural advantages in rich fertile land, natural rainfall patterns that favour rapid crop growth and high yield, a system of government that is years ahead of others and a culture of education.

China and India will emerge as superpowers and our geographic position with regards to those economies could benefit us for generations to come.

Ask Saudis in 60 years if they would have prefered their oil or our land, I bet our land. Even if the Australian mining boom lasts another 40 years it will be the blink of an eye historically. What will they have leftwith? A few big holes in the ground and a country still with little agricultural potential.

The cheap energy age is a short term anomoly in human history, for most of it carbohydrates not hydrcarbons have been the source of power and wealth.
Old May 25th 2011, 3:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Charismatic
?....What will they have leftwith? A few big holes in the ground and a country still with little agricultural potential.
? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agriculture_in_Australia
Old May 25th 2011, 4:06 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Taking the bait?......................
Old May 25th 2011, 6:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles

Iv,e been skint it,s orrible show me the money

Neil

Last edited by Jan n Neil; May 25th 2011 at 7:40 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.