British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   NZQA - stupid question? Help? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/nzqa-stupid-question-help-436918/)

Suicide Sheep Mar 23rd 2007 9:52 pm

NZQA - stupid question? Help?

Can anyone out there help me, with what is going to seem like a really dumb question...:blink:

Looking into qualification recognition with NZQA, it appears that I need a certificate from the school that I attended some, ahem! ahem! years ago:o . Does anyone have any ideas on how to get one of the said certificates as I don't recall ever getting anything other than a scrap of paper saying what I had passed etc??? My OH, who attended the same school, doesn't seem to recall anything either! :huh:

Spacecake799 Mar 23rd 2007 9:57 pm

Re: NZQA - stupid question? Help?

Originally Posted by Suicide Sheep (Post 4553383)
Can anyone out there help me, with what is going to seem like a really dumb question...:blink:

Looking into qualification recognition with NZQA, it appears that I need a certificate from the school that I attended some, ahem! ahem! years ago:o . Does anyone have any ideas on how to get one of the said certificates as I don't recall ever getting anything other than a scrap of paper saying what I had passed etc??? My OH, who attended the same school, doesn't seem to recall anything either! :huh:

Hi,
Phone the school and ask who the exam body was. Phone them they should be able to help. It goes by what year you were at school, if i remember there are two exam places. It costs about 10-20 quid aswell. Hope this helps
Carole

Suicide Sheep Mar 23rd 2007 10:02 pm

Cheers for that! :thumbup:

Just a little concerned, as "O" level system doen't exist anymore and wasn't sure if the school would be able to help:confused: (am I giving away my age now? :o )

hazeandsteve Mar 23rd 2007 10:04 pm

Most results from years ago are now held by Edexcel.
Go Google and get their phone number. We found them fantastically helpful, and once they knew it was a time restricted query, pushed it through in quick time.
Bon chance mon ami...:thumbsup:

TeamEmbo Mar 24th 2007 7:10 am

Originally Posted by Suicide Sheep (Post 4553383)

Is this to prove your English speaking/writing ability? Only ask cos OH doesn't have anything either but Emigration Consultant said we didn't need to produce certificates of actual English O level etc as his recent qualifications would be sufficient to prove English ability. Apparently it's not enough to say English is my native language or similar, but any recent certificates, quals done in England should cover this from what we've been advised.

sky Mar 24th 2007 7:14 am

I phoned my old high school and they gave me the examining body phone number

Suicide Sheep Mar 24th 2007 9:54 am

Originally Posted by TeamEmbo (Post 4554813)
Is this to prove your English speaking/writing ability? Only ask cos OH doesn't have anything either but Emigration Consultant said we didn't need to produce certificates of actual English O level etc as his recent qualifications would be sufficient to prove English ability. Apparently it's not enough to say English is my native language or similar, but any recent certificates, quals done in England should cover this from what we've been advised.

No this is for NZQA, as i do not have a job offer, I need to get an assessment done. I don't know why they need it as it it my post-school qualifications I want assessed:frown:

Many thanks for your help guys:thumbup:

Mandie Mar 24th 2007 10:46 am

Originally Posted by Suicide Sheep (Post 4553408)
Just a little concerned, as "O" level system doen't exist anymore and wasn't sure if the school would be able to help:confused: (am I giving away my age now?

erm maybe...at least you did 'O' levels...i was in the thick set that only took CSE's :eek: :rofl: :eek: :rofl:

P2L Mar 24th 2007 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by TeamEmbo (Post 4554813)

Your Consultant is talking poppycock Mandy!!! :thumbdown: :blink:

Kev & I made a statement on our EOI ;

"I have spoken English since birth. Both my parents are English speaking and I have been educated both in primary & secondary education, in an English speaking environment within the UK. All courses & qualifications I have completed have been taken in English. I speak no other language"

This was accepted by NZIS and no furthere evidence was required :thumbup:

HTH

TeamEmbo Mar 25th 2007 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by kev&sarah (Post 4557043)
Your Consultant is talking poppycock Mandy!!! :thumbdown: :blink:

Kev & I made a statement on our EOI ;

"I have spoken English since birth. Both my parents are English speaking and I have been educated both in primary & secondary education, in an English speaking environment within the UK. All courses & qualifications I have completed have been taken in English. I speak no other language"

This was accepted by NZIS and no furthere evidence was required :thumbup:

HTH

Yep, that's more or less what I said to him so I'm not too sure if NZIS have changed what they'll accept on this one but according to consultant it is no longer good enough to say similar to what you put on your EOI and proof was needed although he said that OH's recent NVQ was good enough to proof English ability. I thought it was stupid too.

Spacecake799 Mar 25th 2007 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by TeamEmbo (Post 4560338)
Yep, that's more or less what I said to him so I'm not too sure if NZIS have changed what they'll accept on this one but according to consultant it is no longer good enough to say similar to what you put on your EOI and proof was needed although he said that OH's recent NVQ was good enough to proof English ability. I thought it was stupid too.

Just recieved my ITA and it says in big writing, Ignore request for proof of English if you were born in the UK.
Carole:D

Maz Mar 25th 2007 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by Spacecake799 (Post 4560641)
Just recieved my ITA and it says in big writing, Ignore request for proof of English if you were born in the UK.

Dammit I'm very jealous!!! I want my ITA! I want my ITA! We were both selected on the 14th of March... :curse: (but many congrats! :thumbup:)

TeamEmbo Mar 26th 2007 6:42 am

Originally Posted by Spacecake799 (Post 4560641)

Ahhh yes, but this is my Consultant :sneaky: If I tell him that's what yours says, he'll say your forms are 'old stock' and/or that 'doesn't apply in our case' and we definitely need to supply proof preferably by locating the English teacher(s) in question and flying them out there to give personal verbal accounts of our English ability. :rofl: :rofl:

I've lost count of the things that 'don't apply in our case' :curse: - specially when they seem to apply to every other Brit applying!!!!

Still, we live and learn, eh?!!! :cool:

P2L Mar 26th 2007 7:20 am

Originally Posted by TeamEmbo (Post 4561566)
Ahhh yes, but this is my Consultant If I tell him that's what yours says, he'll say your forms are 'old stock' and/or that 'doesn't apply in our case' and we definitely need to supply proof preferably by locating the English teacher(s) in question and flying them out there to give personal verbal accounts of our English ability.

I've lost count of the things that 'don't apply in our case' :curse: - specially when they seem to apply to every other Brit applying!!!!

Still, we live and learn, eh?!!!

Morning :thumbsup:

Hope your weekend was good hun, ours was chaos with a capital C!!!!:eek:

J ust being nosey:ohmy: :rofl: has Mark settled on a job yet?? That'll speed EVERYTHING!!! up for you with Immigration :thumbup:

TeamEmbo Mar 26th 2007 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by kev&sarah (Post 4561629)
Just being nosey: has Mark settled on a job yet?? That'll speed EVERYTHING!!! up for you with Immigration :thumbup:

Nope! 1 he really wants to go with (I think!) asked for additional refs in their own standard format from current and 2 previous employers. These I believe have been done - last 1 due back to them today and we're supposed to be hearing tonight. Ones in Cch are waiting to hear from OH whether he's chosen NI or SI and he can't do that till his heard from the above - is this making any sense????

Me? I'm just methodically going through the house chucking things out or bagging for charity or listing on ebay, remembering to 'ahum', 'oh really', 'if you think that's best', etc in (hopefully) the right places :eek: . If I have to take in any more information my head's gonna explode!! :rofl: :blink: :rofl:

How's your manic weekend?