Reload this Page >

NZQA chief hands in resignation

Old May 16th 2005, 11:39 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point
Default NZQA chief hands in resignation

Maybe they will get better at assessing foreign quals? You'd hope so.

16 May 2005
The chief executive of the beleaguered New Zealand Qualifications Authority (NZQA), Karen Van Rooyen, has resigned today.

Ms Van Rooyen's resignation follows that of NZQA chairman Graeme Fraser who resigned 10 days ago after two damning reports into the organisation's handling of the 2004 school scholarship exams.

In announcing her resignation, Ms Van Rooyen said the time was right to move on.

"I am conscious that I have been closely identified with the debate that has arisen out of the way Scholarship was conducted.

"I do not intend to engage in that debate," she said in a statement.

"In my view, the education of school pupils in New Zealand will not be advanced by it continuing."

Ms Van Rooyen said she had waited until now to resign as there were several tasks she felt she should complete.

At the time of Mr Fraser's resignation, Associate Education Minister David Benson-Pope refused to express confidence in Ms Van Rooyen.