British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   NZIS response to ChCh Earthquake (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/nzis-response-chch-earthquake-709184/)

Chippy Giles Mar 13th 2011 4:02 pm

NZIS response to ChCh Earthquake

I feel a bit bad about this but I've been looking at the NZIS site and found this snippet

Immigration New Zealand's Response to the Canterbury Earthquake

As part of its response to the Canterbury earthquake, Immigration New Zealand is working closely with other Government agencies to identify occupations where skill shortages may occur, for example, in the infrastructure or construction sectors to ensure that where an immigration response is required we are able to respond in a timely manner. For instance, this may result in changes being made to the Essential Skills in Demand Lists before our next review which is due for completion in mid 2011

I'm going to the London EXPO on 26 or 27 to hopefully speak to someone from immigration and wondered if anybody else had already asked them about this at one of the other shows?

Am hoping Carpentry will go back onto the absolute skills shortages list as it looks like there's a going to be ongoing work for a long time to come.

chippy64 Mar 13th 2011 8:00 pm

Re: NZIS response to ChCh Earthquake

We got our PR under skilled migrant as a carpenter, just before it was taken off. My OH is has been working in ChCh since October and has been working flat out.
Since the Feb event, he has had about 3 days off, so def lots of work. I wouldn't be surprised to see the skills list amended, maybe with a proviso that it only applies to work in Canterbury region?

BEVS Mar 13th 2011 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by Sign Maker Giles (Post 9236909)
I feel a bit bad about this but I've been looking at the NZIS site and found this snippet.
I'm going to the London EXPO on 26 or 27 to hopefully speak to someone from immigration and wondered if anybody else had already asked them about this at one of the other shows?
Am hoping Carpentry will go back onto the absolute skills shortages list as it looks like there's a going to be ongoing work for a long time to come.

Don't feel bad. If it is found that there are not enough tradesmen to help Canterbury recover then the lists will be amended to accommodate that . My hope would be that NZ would then allow those tradesmen prepared to come out to go on to apply for PR.

I'd suspect that it wold be the immediate shortage list that would be amended so check your points . No bonus points for shortage if on the 'immediate list'.

Chippy Giles Mar 13th 2011 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by chippy64 (Post 9237318)
I wouldn't be surprised to see the skills list amended, maybe with a proviso that it only applies to work in Canterbury region?

Thats pretty much what we are hoping for, have kept checking Trademe for jobs and there seems to be plenty going on. Will post an update if we find out anymore.