Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

NZeTA and the Android App - observations

NZeTA and the Android App - observations

Old Oct 14th 2022, 4:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

LittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond repute
Default NZeTA and the Android App - observations

Firstly it is good to have an App on my Android phone which can process NZeTA applications.
Once I had fought my way through it both of us have been issued with a NZeTA in a very short time and have the emails to prove it.

I had a struggle at first because it refused to recognise my face as valid for a photo using the selfie camera on my phone.
After much muttering and grumbling I wondered if this was because I hadn't trimmed my beard recently.
Quick trip to the bathroom and the Wahl hair clippers (battery, well traveled all around the world, highly recommended) and some advanced sheep shearing and on my second attempt it recognised me as a person and then started grumbling about my eyes not being level and the camera being held wrong etc.
Eventually agreed to take my photo and all went swimmingly.
Father Xmas has got no chance, though.

No such problems when I added herself to it, and she got approved immediately whilst mine took a couple of minutes.

Anyway, seems to work well as long as you don't have more than a well trimmed beard.
Old Oct 15th 2022, 2:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NZeTA and the Android App - observations

Are you aware of the other extra hurdle you need to jump before you can pass go and proceed to the Boarding Gate, not sure why this is still needed but lots of people complaining about it. Just another pain in the ass thing you need to provide at check in:

https://www.travellerdeclaration.govt.nz/
Old Oct 15th 2022, 12:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

LittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Are you aware of the other extra hurdle you need to jump before you can pass go and proceed to the Boarding Gate, not sure why this is still needed but lots of people complaining about it. Just another pain in the ass thing you need to provide at check in:

Thanks.
No mention of it in the NZeTA process.
The next step seemed to be filling in the card on the plane.
I've sent a query to Trailfinders who are organising the trip.
Old Oct 15th 2022, 2:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LittleGreyCat
Thanks.
No mention of it in the NZeTA process.
The next step seemed to be filling in the card on the plane.
I've sent a query to Trailfinders who are organising the trip.
Trailfinders seem unaware, and have now gone quiet.
Hopefully I will get better information on Monday.
The site seems unambiguous.

About the declaration

Everyone travelling to New Zealand by air must complete the New Zealand Traveller Declaration, and receive a Traveller Pass, before they travel. This includes New Zealand citizens and residents, children and infants.

The New Zealand Traveller Declaration collects your information for contact tracing. This will be used by health agencies if a COVID-19 variant of concern is detected. The New Zealand Traveller Declaration system allows contact tracing to happen quickly and securely, with the ability to contact large numbers of travellers at very short notice.

Once you have completed your New Zealand Traveller Declaration, you will receive a Traveller Pass.

It is free to complete the New Zealand Traveller Declaration and get a Traveller Pass, and you can do this up to 28 days before your journey begins, once you have booked your flight.
So completely different from the NZeTA which is for two years, and not tied to an individual flight.
Old Oct 17th 2022, 8:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles

I just got back from an overseas trip and this was not checked before boarding. It did get checked when I arrived into New Zealand at the border control (I was a returning Kiwi mind, which may be different to international visitors)
Old Oct 18th 2022, 2:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tom H
I just got back from an overseas trip and this was not checked before boarding. It did get checked when I arrived into New Zealand at the border control (I was a returning Kiwi mind, which may be different to international visitors)
Apparently it applies to everyone.
Embarrassing if you land and then are told you need it!

Anyway Trailfinders have noted that it is a requirement.
Hopefully it would have been included in the detailed list 21 days before departure.
Old Oct 18th 2022, 11:45 pm
jjg
Numpty

jjg is a glorious beacon of lightjjg is a glorious beacon of lightjjg is a glorious beacon of lightjjg is a glorious beacon of lightjjg is a glorious beacon of lightjjg is a glorious beacon of lightjjg is a glorious beacon of lightjjg is a glorious beacon of lightjjg is a glorious beacon of lightjjg is a glorious beacon of lightjjg is a glorious beacon of light

Looks like the rules are changing and the traveller declaration will no longer be required from Thursday.
Old Oct 19th 2022, 10:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jjg
Looks like the rules are changing and the traveller declaration will no longer be required from Thursday.
Thanks.
Still outside the 20(ish) days when you can fill it in so plenty of time for them to change their minds.