British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   NZ1 flight to New Zealand via LA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/nz1-flight-new-zealand-via-la-550772/)

mkumar Jul 23rd 2008 3:22 pm

NZ1 flight to New Zealand via LA

I didn't know this, so I thought I would share:

To meet the security requirements of US Customs and Border Protection, travellers in transit in Los Angeles on NZ1 to Auckland or NZ2 to London must remain in the transit facility. Here is an outline of the transit procedure you can expect.

When you leave the aircraft in Los Angeles, Air New Zealand ground staff will direct you to the transit area where you will be required to present your passport and completed U.S. Immigration form to officials for inspection

There is no requirement to complete the Customs form when in transit

Boarding passes must be retained for the continuation of your journey
Entry formalities require all travellers aged 14 - 79 to have a photo and prints of index fingers taken by officials (US and Canadian citizens exempt)

US Customs and Border Protection processing may result in a delay to enter the transit facility; we understand queuing can be uncomfortable so will be offering refreshments while you wait to be processed by the authorities
If you need to use a toilet before entering the transit area, please ask one of our Air New Zealand ground staff for directions

Once in the transit facility, complimentary refreshments and snacks are available to you.

chippy64 Jul 23rd 2008 3:37 pm

Re: NZ1 flight to New Zealand via LA

We used this flight last August. My sons were 14 and 16 and had brand new British Passports (with the little chip things in). When we got to the Passport Control place, we were all directed to different desks. I was still waiting in my queue, when I saw both my boys being led away! Apparently, their brand new passports had failed to scan correctly. They were taken to a holding area (we were refused access) and then into separate interview rooms, where they were questioned (name address, passport number, occupation etc). Once they were satisfied, they released them!
I was quite upset - I didn't know what they were doing, I wasn't allowed to be with them. We were purely on a refuelling stop - not intending (or wanting!) to enter the USA! So, just be aware!

mkumar Jul 23rd 2008 3:43 pm

I have a biometric passport too. Great. :frown:

chippy64 Jul 23rd 2008 4:17 pm

Sorry :unsure:. I'm sure you will be fine! The whole process did take nearly the whole amount of time we were in LA. There are NO toilet facilities in holding lounge, so go before you get off! In fact, there's no nothing really, just a room with a few bags of crisps! We came back via Hong Kong and you have full access to all the shops and facilities there.
We only went via LA so the kids could say they had been right around the world! You also get the higher baggage allowance going via LA.

mkumar Jul 23rd 2008 6:59 pm

I have used my biometric passport in the US.
No issues at all, but this was in Las Vegas - I'm sure they wanted me straight on the poker tables!

Yarpy Jul 23rd 2008 7:09 pm

I was still waiting in my queue, when I saw both my boys being led away! Apparently, their brand new passports had failed to scan correctly. They were taken to a holding area (we were refused access) and then into separate interview rooms, where they were questioned (name address, passport number, occupation etc). Once they were satisfied, they released them!
I have heard of that happening in other circumstances. It is disgusting behaviour by the Americans - especially as you are just on a refuelling stop. What is their problem? If I decide to go to NZ again I shall go east.

Margaret Parkinson Jul 23rd 2008 7:19 pm

Go via Singapore the stop over there is something not to be missed. I think I have mentioned the transit hotel & transit lounge on here before.

June

AndyRuth Jul 23rd 2008 7:44 pm

Hi everyone,
Beg to differ on this one !! We flew via LA on NZ1 on the way out to Auckland and via Hong Kong on the return leg and from our perspective LA won hands down. We flew with two children ( age 2 and 4 months ) and were last off the plane at LA for obvious reasons ! We were delighted when we were fast-tracked to the front and once in the transit area were more than happy. The lounge had free tea/coffee , fruit , crisps , biscuits and toilet facilities. Best of all it was a secure and safe environment for our 2 year old. The staff there were more than polite and helpful towards all of us.
Whereas in Hong Kong we had to endure a long and frustrating wait in the queue in extremely hot and muggy conditions with a very tired and fractious toddler. Not a good experience for us at all.
Obviously we are very sorry for the experience you had to endure with your 2 sons and no-one would want to experience that but when we go for good it's the LA for us.

chippy64 Jul 23rd 2008 8:09 pm

Hi Andyruth, glad your experience was so much more positive than ours! We had to queue for almost the whole 3 hours in LA - down the corridor, through the passport/fingerprint place and then back down the same corridor but in the opposite direction!
Sometimes, travelling with young children can be an advantage!

AndyRuth Jul 23rd 2008 8:41 pm

Hi Chippy

Agreed !!!

it was one of very few positives during the journey , i must have spent half of each leg of the flight following an excited 2 year old around the plane , at least there was no danger of dvt !

brussels_sprout Jul 23rd 2008 8:52 pm

The first time i made the journey, i was dreading the L.A bit after hearing all the bad stories, but it gets you out of the plane , stretches your legs go to a normal toilet. The people who are stressed are the customs/security officials. It is not that well organised, but for me going from NZ to Europe on Air Tahiti, it was NOT that bad ! Seeing L.A and California from the sky was interesting too

Kiwiprincess Jul 23rd 2008 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by chippy64 (Post 6602274)
We used this flight last August. My sons were 14 and 16 and had brand new British Passports (with the little chip things in). When we got to the Passport Control place, we were all directed to different desks. I was still waiting in my queue, when I saw both my boys being led away! Apparently, their brand new passports had failed to scan correctly. They were taken to a holding area (we were refused access) and then into separate interview rooms, where they were questioned (name address, passport number, occupation etc). Once they were satisfied, they released them!
I was quite upset - I didn't know what they were doing, I wasn't allowed to be with them. We were purely on a refuelling stop - not intending (or wanting!) to enter the USA! So, just be aware!

That's horrible. I had wondered what would happen if the Passport failed to scan. I mean, it is not like you can really check it at home is there?! I was told not to worry because it is incredibly rare for it not to scan and to look after it. Well that’s all well and good but if I can’t check it how do I know it works! . However, a situation like with your kids made me wonder – I mean 14 and 16 year olds could quite reasonably be assumed to be travelling with parent/s (and a quick check of a passenger list would confirm that). But I can’t imagine them being very accommodating if it was an adult getting off the plane with a ‘dodgy’ passport.

squiddley Jul 23rd 2008 9:15 pm

Hi
Im off to New Zealand in a couple of weeks for a quick recci...:eek:
Flying to New zealand via Shanghai with Virgin then the final leg with Air New Zealand...

Coming back via San Francisco,again Air New Zealand then the final leg back to London with Virgin...Anybody done this way before????

Markk Jul 23rd 2008 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by Margaret Parkinson (Post 6602974)
Go via Singapore the stop over there is something not to be missed. I think I have mentioned the transit hotel & transit lounge on here before.

June

Yep, why go via the US when you will get a warm welcome in Singapore.
The 'land of the free', you could have fooled me! After an experience we had a few years ago we will never go via the US again unless we are desperate.

drrobert Jul 23rd 2008 9:36 pm

Remember that from early January 2009, you will have to register online at least 72h before travel to transit the US on NZ1:

http://www.houseoftravel.co.nz/trave...United+States/