Is NZ for you?

Old Mar 18th 2007, 10:29 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is NZ for you?

Originally Posted by pixi-dust
Karon, we used to have this 2 bar heater and I liked lying in front of it and holding a chocolate digestive up really close so that all the chocolate melted and I could lick it off - those were the days!

One winter I got back from Aberdeen to my flat in Glasgow and the bay window was thick with ice on the inside and by the time I got round it and melted it off with my hairdryer the first window had frozen again.

And I had to walk 20 miles to school in my bare feet in a blizzard.

Ok the last one's a lie!!! Maybe this is why I don't find it really cold here in the winter but I did wear a fleece hat for 4 days last year!
I bought a coat 2 summers ago from New Look in Inverness. It was the middle of August and for Inverness, it was a fantastic day. The coat is very much in the stylie of the original eskimo parka - to the degree that 3 of my ex-colleagues asked me how many hides there were in it. It is really heavy and thick. And they had turned the air-con (must be a novelty in Inverness!) so cold that I was obliged to wear my new winter coat in August as we wandered round the shopping centre. We were only up on holiday, but I still saw 5 people I knew and they all laughed at me.
Hey ho
Steve calls me the thermal vampire as I leech the heat out of him!
Old Mar 18th 2007, 7:57 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Our first house didn't have double glazing or central heating and I remember 1987 was horrifically cold, I was doing the same as you Laura and hairdrying the ice off the living room windows to see out lol. The bathroom was a nightmare to have to go into and there was a thick layer of ice on the walls which stayed there for quite a few weeks until the weather warmed up. We bought some plastic sheet stuff from Argos which you cut to the size of your windows and stuck over them and it acted like double glazing a bit.
Eeeee those were the days
Old Mar 18th 2007, 8:09 pm
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

My mum has only had central heating for about 3 years - my sister married a plumber and he put it in for free It's a huge old rambling house and the sitting room has two doors, stairs and two windows in it, all of which were a conduit for draughts - we used to sit huddled around the open fire (and my Dad was paranoid about chimney fires so it was always a poor excuse for a fire) and fight to be the one closest to it. Memories eh?