Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

NZ in the Winter. Not nice!

NZ in the Winter. Not nice!

Old Jun 18th 2007, 8:39 am
Forum Regular

slippery is a jewel in the roughslippery is a jewel in the roughslippery is a jewel in the roughslippery is a jewel in the roughslippery is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: NZ in the Winter. Not nice!

Originally Posted by mazi
Was your post deleted then, Gen?

(to everyone) Don't give the guy (gal?) a hard time about posting negatively - even in his (her) first post! That's probably the very reason he (she) came on here - to let off some steam about the things that are bugging him (her). There is surely no rule saying you must post positively until you are welcomed into the fold...is there? he (she ) may well have known the South would be cold - but that to me doesn't seem to be the problem - his gripe is more about how NZ reacts to the cold - ie. with not much action.

Feeling annoyed about something and saying something about it (as is human nature, not British nature) does not necessarily mean you are a winging POM. Plenty of Kiwis moan too, as do the Spanish, the Russians, the Chileans, probably even the Ni Vanuatu at times. If anyone here has worked in sales you'll know that if you have something bad to say you'll tell ten or more people, if you have something good to say, you'll tell maybe one or two.

Post and let post.
Thank you mazi
I actually really love living in NZ but not the way kiwis face cold weather
Old Jun 18th 2007, 8:47 am
Forum Regular

annier has a brilliant futureannier has a brilliant futureannier has a brilliant futureannier has a brilliant futureannier has a brilliant futureannier has a brilliant futureannier has a brilliant future

We lived in the north island for 6 years, and during the winter our kiwi friends used to say we will come out and see you as you house is always warm, well if you light the fire and put on the heaters it will be warm, a lot of the houses are not built for the cold weather
Old Jun 18th 2007, 8:51 am
Forum Regular

dicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nice

Originally Posted by mcuddy1
Ok. It was a first post, everyone has to start somewhere ....
Don't you think an introduction to us all in the correct thread would perhaps have been more appropriate, rather than straight into the criticism of NZ?

I'm sorry, but without wishing to stir up the hornets nest about censorship, the right to speak your mind etc.. I support the question which asks why do people come to a new country to make a new life and then whinge and moan and compare everything with "back home in the UK". It's reminiscent of those who go to Spain for a holiday and then spend their days and evenings drinking English beer in an English pub! Can someone enlighten me?

But...having said all that...each to their own I guess.
Old Jun 18th 2007, 8:52 am
NZ ways is best ways :0)

Wiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Slippery, and welcome to the forum.

Couldn't agree more regarding the whole winter preparedness thing - it really does take some getting used to after the world of UK central heating.

We went to see a brand new house on Saturday, up for sale in Rolleston near ChCh. 4 beds and a study. Massive living / dining area - which was lovely and warm with the log burner going. Rest of the house....? Absolutley Baltic! No other thought to heating the place other than the log burner.

And this house is BRAND NEW! Hellllooooooooooooo.....?!!!!!!!???!!!! Even the estate agent there said that 'NZ is only just catching on'!

So, for us (hoping to build at some point) it's definatley underfloor heating in all tiles areas, extra thick insulation, a central heating system and damn the installation expense.

I can see the problems with LPG and the like in rural areas, along with the related expense of it. I do see how log burners really are the way to go - but in the supposed 'town of the future'? As the only souce of heat there is really no excuse.
Old Jun 18th 2007, 8:56 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Wiz'n'Ton
Hey Slippery, and welcome to the forum.

Couldn't agree more regarding the whole winter preparedness thing - it really does take some getting used to after the world of UK central heating.

We went to see a brand new house on Saturday, up for sale in Rolleston near ChCh. 4 beds and a study. Massive living / dining area - which was lovely and warm with the log burner going. Rest of the house....? Absolutley Baltic! No other thought to heating the place other than the log burner.

And this house is BRAND NEW! Hellllooooooooooooo.....?!!!!!!!???!!!! Even the estate agent there said that 'NZ is only just catching on'!

So, for us (hoping to build at some point) it's definatley underfloor heating in all tiles areas, extra thick insulation, a central heating system and damn the installation expense.

I can see the problems with LPG and the like in rural areas, along with the related expense of it. I do see how log burners really are the way to go - but in the supposed 'town of the future'? As the only souce of heat there is really no excuse.
We have underfloor heating in the bathrooms, and don't forget heated towel rails they do help alot.

Other than that we have a gas fire and the living room ... and the dogs get their own gas fire in the "outside" room ... now that is strange?!
Old Jun 18th 2007, 8:58 am
Account Closed

mazi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dicknlyn
Don't you think an introduction to us all in the correct thread would perhaps have been more appropriate, rather than straight into the criticism of NZ?

I'm sorry, but without wishing to stir up the hornets nest about censorship, the right to speak your mind etc.. I support the question which asks why do people come to a new country to make a new life and then whinge and moan and compare everything with "back home in the UK". It's reminiscent of those who go to Spain for a holiday and then spend their days and evenings drinking English beer in an English pub! Can someone enlighten me?

People don't know what will and won't get up their noses before they live there! Some people move to different towns in the Uk and then find the new town doesn't do it for them. It's nothing like going to Spain on holiday and drinking English beer in an English pub (that is truly a sin). Perhaps he didn't even see the introductions thread - and how was he to know everyone here is all buddy-buddy and that he had to say hi first? The very first time I posted on here (which was the first time I had posted anywhere in fact) I had no idea such forums existed or the etiquette involved in becoming part of the 'group'. Perhaps he didn't either.
Old Jun 18th 2007, 8:59 am

Wiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond repute

Why not compare? Without comparison, incoming folk will not have a clue what to expect. The points made are valid ones. If someone came on spouting a whole load of rubbish just to get a response then I'd tell them to stop being a wind up. In this case, it's a real problem and not one I was aware of when we came out here.
Old Jun 18th 2007, 9:07 am
Account Closed

And why the hell does it bother you that he's criticising NZ anyway? I really feel that the people who get upset about it are doing so purely because they want to know their own decision was the right one (and that may well be the case) - it's absurd to get upset about someone not liking something about a country. You don't own the country, do you? Did you personally hand-craft it? Are you the prime minister? The Queen? Captain Cook? Leader of the Moriori or Maori? The Creator? People who criticise NZ are not criticising you or your work, so what's the problem? He wasn't rude or insulting to anyone (I can understand people being upset about that) - he's just having a hard time with his lack of heating!

Apologies, Slippery, if you are female.
Old Jun 18th 2007, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

dicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nice

Perhaps he didn't even see the introductions thread -
...but it's at the top of the very first page! You can't miss it. And if you are new to a forum, surely you'd look at all the thread titles first.

...and how was he to know everyone here is all buddy-buddy and that he had to say hi first? The very first time I posted on here (which was the first time I had posted anywhere in fact) I had no idea such forums existed or the etiquette involved in becoming part of the 'group'. Perhaps he didn't either.
Fair enough, but would you walk into a pub or a room at a party, say, and go straight up to a group of people unannounced without introducing yourself and join in the conversation?
Old Jun 18th 2007, 9:17 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Hunkering down and thinking of summer (if it arrives -- sometimes it's a bit tardy) gets me through the cold and dark. Hot tea followed by generous snorts of Jim Beam helps. Other than that, sorry, can't help.
Funny thing, I had to get an EKG today and the nurse had to shave a few spots on my chest to stick on the dilly-dob thingies. I guess having a bit of a Neanderthal pelt helps me get through winter as well.
Old Jun 18th 2007, 9:22 am

Fair enough, but would you walk into a pub or a room at a party, say, and go straight up to a group of people unannounced without introducing yourself and join in the conversation?
Yebbut slippery STARTED the conversation - we have all decided to join in, not the other way around.
Old Jun 18th 2007, 9:24 am
Account Closed

...but it's at the top of the very first page! You can't miss it. And if you are new to a forum, surely you'd look at all the thread titles first.
No, not necessarily. True the intro thread is at the top of the page - but he still may have missed it - or not realised he HAD to use it to be accepted.

Probably not - though many people do. Particularly in pubs - people quite often hear someone say something funny for example and make a quip back with no introduction. That is quite a normal thing to do. Anyway, he did introduce himself - his name is right there next to his post.

I'm just trying to say, the guy is having a hard (ish) time. There's no reason to jump on him for saying something about a subject that doesn't bother you. Disagree certainly, but don't have a go at him about it.
Old Jun 18th 2007, 9:25 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Wiz'n'Ton
Yebbut slippery STARTED the conversation - we have all decided to join in, not the other way around.
Thanks, I was just about to post that myself.
Old Jun 18th 2007, 9:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

There's no reason to jump on him for saying something about a subject that doesn't bother you
So let's all jump on dicknlyn instead????????
Old Jun 18th 2007, 9:27 am
BE Enthusiast

mcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to behold

And why the hell does it bother you that he's criticising NZ anyway? I really feel that the people who get upset about it are doing so purely because they want to know their own decision was the right one (and that may well be the case) - it's absurd to get upset about someone not liking something about a country. You don't own the country, do you? Did you personally hand-craft it? Are you the prime minister? The Queen? Captain Cook? Leader of the Moriori or Maori? The Creator? People who criticise NZ are not criticising you or your work, so what's the problem? He wasn't rude or insulting to anyone (I can understand people being upset about that) - he's just having a hard time with his lack of heating!

Apologies, Slippery, if you are female.
Well said
I don't get it when they take it so personally.It's like how dare you have a criticism of my dream.

you think an introduction to us all in the correct thread would perhaps have been more appropriate, rather than straight into the criticism of NZ?

Why not have your post telling everybody how happy you are and stop jumping on peoples back because they have something to say you object to.
Your attitude seems more offensive to people than his.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.