Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

NZ in the Winter. Not nice!

NZ in the Winter. Not nice!

Old Jun 18th 2007, 5:29 am
Forum Regular

slippery is a jewel in the roughslippery is a jewel in the roughslippery is a jewel in the roughslippery is a jewel in the roughslippery is a jewel in the rough
Default NZ in the Winter. Not nice!

Why does NZ have such a problem with the winter.
Down here in the deep south it is bloody freezing most of the time but still the shops, pubs, restaurants and other public places are very, very underheated. In the UK I used to remember walking off the street in the winter to any indoor public place and it feeling nice and warm.

But the worst of all are the houses. Why in a place that has such a long cold winter such as Otago is the heating so shite. Heatpumps are just an annoying, noisy, throat drying, expensive joke. Most homes down here have got those silly gas heaters we in the UK used to use in the 80s. They last about 3 weeks before it needs a new gas bottle and they stink of LPG. Wood burners............messy, smelly and out of date. In all cases, these great Kiwi heating solutions only normally heat one room and you have to run down the hallway at night on your way to bed or risk frost bite.
A friend of mine who is also peed off with this 1950s approach to home comforts is taking the plunge and paying for diesel fueled central heating with real radiators for a cool $30,000.........to some locals a years wage.

The roads are just as bad. Our local motorway more commonly known as state highway one, is a skating rink most mornings. Minus 6, minus 7 - and do the local authorities grit the road?? Only when they feel like it and normally when most of the people have already got to work by some miracle. On the way to work I usually stop 2-3 times along the way to help some unsuspecting driver who has spun down a ditch or turned over the car. People die regularly and what is done about it. Nothing absolutely nothing.

Wake up New Zealand. Its only midly cold compared to a lot of countries.
Try to keep warm
Slippery
Old Jun 18th 2007, 5:51 am
Forum Regular

dicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nice
Default Re: NZ in the Winter. Not nice!

Hey Slip!

You're adding fuel to the "whingeing pom" reputation, mate. And in your first post too which is a shame. Kiwis will be quick to tell you to harden up! Which in the case of us poms translates to "push off and go home if you don't like it here". I wouldn't give them that opportunity if I were you.(Just my friendly advice.)

Last edited by BEVS; Jun 20th 2007 at 2:58 am. Reason: remove expletive inference.
Old Jun 18th 2007, 5:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

Isolation, a bit different when you've got 300 million europeans on your doorstep who want heat!

$30,000 seems a bit steep. I was quoted $15,000 for a six bed, three lounge house. The radiators come from Holland, your couldn't build them here as cheap.

Beautiful day in Chch today - bright and sunny, yes it gets cold at night, but lovely bright clear days. Snow on the Alps, but warm enough for a T shirt this arvo - bliss.
Old Jun 18th 2007, 7:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Woodlea
Isolation, a bit different when you've got 300 million europeans on your doorstep who want heat!

$30,000 seems a bit steep. I was quoted $15,000 for a six bed, three lounge house. The radiators come from Holland, your couldn't build them here as cheap.

Beautiful day in Chch today - bright and sunny, yes it gets cold at night, but lovely bright clear days. Snow on the Alps, but warm enough for a T shirt this arvo - bliss.

I got 17 rads, a boiler, thermostatically controlled and gas connected, in an already built house (much harder doing it once its up) for $9200 Aug 2005. Savonna Heating. Sweet as!!
Old Jun 18th 2007, 7:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by slippery
Down here in the deep south it is bloody freezing most of the time but still the shops, pubs, restaurants and other public places are very, very underheated. In the UK I used to remember walking off the street in the winter to any indoor public place and it feeling nice and warm.

But the worst of all are the houses. Why in a place that has such a long cold winter such as Otago is the heating so shite. Heatpumps are just an annoying, noisy, throat drying, expensive joke. Most homes down here have got those silly gas heaters we in the UK used to use in the 80s. They last about 3 weeks before it needs a new gas bottle and they stink of LPG. Wood burners............messy, smelly and out of date. In all cases, these great Kiwi heating solutions only normally heat one room and you have to run down the hallway at night on your way to bed or risk frost bite.
A friend of mine who is also peed off with this 1950s approach to home comforts is taking the plunge and paying for diesel fueled central heating with real radiators for a cool $30,000.........to some locals a years wage.

The roads are just as bad. Our local motorway more commonly known as state highway one, is a skating rink most mornings. Minus 6, minus 7 - and do the local authorities grit the road?? Only when they feel like it and normally when most of the people have already got to work by some miracle. On the way to work I usually stop 2-3 times along the way to help some unsuspecting driver who has spun down a ditch or turned over the car. People die regularly and what is done about it. Nothing absolutely nothing.

Try to keep warm
Slippery

Anything positive to say? I have to agree with the other chap re moaning. How long have you been here? Did you not know what you were getting your self into temp. wise????

I am surprised that you have not one word of positivity about living in one of the most beautiful parts of our country. Put another wooly on and chill...err, warm man.
Old Jun 18th 2007, 7:31 am
BE Enthusiast

mcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to behold

Hey Slippery
It seems like you are upsetting a few regulars on here, don't you know if you say anything negative re NZ you will get slated. Only happy campers please.
One post from last week has been completely deleted because he had a good moan. Big Brother is not on Channel4 but alive and well on here.
You are correct about most of the buildings poor insulation and build quality, and to boot crappy heating solutions. Welcome to the twentieth century.
Cheers

Try to keep warm
Slippery
Old Jun 18th 2007, 7:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Kippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of light

Slippery

30,000 down the drain.
Did he do any research?
I'll give him two years before he can't afford the oil to run it.
We are entering the end game as far as cheap world oil goes.

I believe oil central heating was very popular in NZ in the 60's and 70's. But the two oil shocks in the 70's finished it.
You can still see where some houses had the tank sitting on a concrete pad.

The only reason the UK has central heating is North Sea Gas.
No gas in the South Island.

No North Sea gas soon either.

Kip
Old Jun 18th 2007, 7:39 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mcuddy1
Hey Slippery
It seems like you are upsetting a few regulars on here, don't you know if you say anything negative re NZ you will get slated. Only happy campers please.
One post from last week has been completely deleted because he had a good moan. Big Brother is not on Channel4 but alive and well on here.
You are correct about most of the buildings poor insulation and build quality, and to boot crappy heating solutions. Welcome to the twentieth century.
Cheers
I wondered where that post had gone? Was it deleted by the OP or the mods? Confused the Hell out of me when I went back to read the replies!!

P.S: I love it here, and love NZ, but I was freezing last night and we're meant to be in the warmer bit?!

Last edited by Am Loolah; Jun 18th 2007 at 7:40 am. Reason: Forgot something!
Old Jun 18th 2007, 7:52 am
BE Enthusiast

mcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
I wondered where that post had gone? Was it deleted by the OP or the mods? Confused the Hell out of me when I went back to read the replies!!

P.S: I love it here, and love NZ, but I was freezing last night and we're meant to be in the warmer bit?!
I don't know where it went but only those with Admin rights on the site could have deleted it. I felt it was a poor show to do that as it didn't contain anything offensive. I think those that have the power have given in to the pressure from certain posters not to have any negative posts. But I am sure someone will correct me.
Old Jun 18th 2007, 7:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

Back to hotwater bottles, and cosy brushed cotton pj's, and don't forget the fluffy warm socks.
Old Jun 18th 2007, 8:01 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Boopy
Back to hotwater bottles, and cosy brushed cotton pj's, and don't forget the fluffy warm socks.
I had PJ's, socks, dressing gown, duvet, blanket, but sadly couldn't locate the gloves and balaclava!
Old Jun 18th 2007, 8:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mcuddy1
I don't know where it went but only those with Admin rights on the site could have deleted it. I felt it was a poor show to do that as it didn't contain anything offensive. I think those that have the power have given in to the pressure from certain posters not to have any negative posts. But I am sure someone will correct me.
Not true at all. I posted a very frank, true picture of what the issues in NZ are. Some people do come here thinking it is all perfect and my post was making it clear there are some very real issues with the country. I hasten to add it was not my 1st post and I am in the main very, very positive about life in NZ. While it is far perfect it has many, many good points. With the right attitude you can make a great life for yourself here.

This OP makes their first post about NZ and does nothing but moan. That's the point. More over as I said did they not realise they were going to be cold in winter down south? I think some people come here thinking the weather will be like Oz!!!!!!

There is nothing wrong with balanced, negative posting.
Old Jun 18th 2007, 8:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Ok
You have posted true to life issues but that was not the point. It was a first post, everyone has to start somewhere and if you can't say what you feel and it is your point of view it is pointless. I thought this was a forum ( open debate ) but I feel it is being censored now and not for anything offensive. It is a good place to get some things off your chest without being jumped on by certain posters.
Also know matter how much home work you do there are surprises for everyone.
On a positive note I do like it here but certain things get right up my nose.
Cheers

Originally Posted by Genesis
Not true at all. I posted a very frank, true picture of what the issues in NZ are. Some people do come here thinking it is all perfect and my post was making it clear there are some very real issues with the country. I hasten to add it was not my 1st post and I am in the main very, very positive about life in NZ. While it is far perfect it has many, many good points. With the right attitude you can make a great life for yourself here.

This OP makes their first post about NZ and does nothing but moan. That's the point. More over as I said did they not realise they were going to be cold in winter down south? I think some people come here thinking the weather will be like Oz!!!!!!

There is nothing wrong with balanced, negative posting.
Old Jun 18th 2007, 8:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

I had PJ's, socks, dressing gown, duvet, blanket, but sadly couldn't locate the gloves and balaclava!
Caroline, the best thing shipped here was our waterbed - thermostatically controlled heated bed. You soon need to chuck off the pj's, sox etc.
Old Jun 18th 2007, 8:32 am
Account Closed

mazi is an unknown quantity at this point

Was your post deleted then, Gen?

(to everyone) Don't give the guy (gal?) a hard time about posting negatively - even in his (her) first post! That's probably the very reason he (she) came on here - to let off some steam about the things that are bugging him (her). There is surely no rule saying you must post positively until you are welcomed into the fold...is there? he (she ) may well have known the South would be cold - but that to me doesn't seem to be the problem - his gripe is more about how NZ reacts to the cold - ie. with not much action.

Feeling annoyed about something and saying something about it (as is human nature, not British nature) does not necessarily mean you are a winging POM. Plenty of Kiwis moan too, as do the Spanish, the Russians, the Chileans, probably even the Ni Vanuatu at times. If anyone here has worked in sales you'll know that if you have something bad to say you'll tell ten or more people, if you have something good to say, you'll tell maybe one or two.

Post and let post.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.