British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   NZ Winter 2016 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/nz-winter-2016-a-876037/)

Gill and Rob Apr 17th 2016 7:24 am

NZ Winter 2016

Today has been the first time we've had to light the fire this winter. I've also put the electric blanket on the bed today too.

Gill and Rob

paddy234 Apr 17th 2016 7:55 am

Re: NZ Winter 2016

Here is Christchurch while the afternoons are pretty warm and quite hot in the sun at times the mornings are alot colder than usual for this time of year. I hope this doesn't mean we are in for a cold winter

escapedtonz Apr 17th 2016 10:39 am

Woh and I'm contemplating putting the air con on for an hour before I go to bed cos it's warm as!

old.sparkles Apr 17th 2016 10:54 am

Originally Posted by Gill and Rob (Post 11925033)
Today has been the first time we've had to light the fire this winter. I've also put the electric blanket on the bed today too.

Gill and Rob

Aren't we only half way through autumn? It's not winter for another 6 weeks.

What's the temps like by you Gill and Rob?

Bo-Jangles Apr 17th 2016 12:11 pm

Rarely have we gotten to the end of April before giving in to temptation and we're just on the cusp. I feel we might just scrape through another week. I have finally succumbed to having to wear long pants around the house and have given up on the shorts; I don't think they'll be seeing the light of day for a good few months.

There have been a few chilly mornings around 9 to 10 c and the candles have been lit in the evenings. I have had the heat lamp on in the bathroom a couple of times and also switched the dehumidifier on last night to take the chill off. I think we're doing pretty well as some friends of ours nearby have had their heat pump on for a couple of weeks and certainly fires around us are being lit up.

BEVS Apr 17th 2016 7:29 pm

We must have toughened up a bit more.

This time last year the wood burner had already been lit for the past week.

We've not lit our yet but it is blankies and hot water bottles under the feet of an evening like a right pair of old codgers.

Snap Shot Apr 18th 2016 3:51 am

We put the woolrest sleeper on the bed this weekend. That's a sheepskin blanket that goes over the mattress. Then we make the bed as normal. We put a padded blanket on the duvet as an extra layer.

I've found my jimjams. The heatpump is back on timer for mornings at least for now.

In the evening we switch the downstairs heat pump off and have the gas log fire on.

All is well. Hot cocoa anyone ?

Robbie2010 Apr 18th 2016 5:24 am

Still got the windows wide open in the Waikato. :)

scrubbedexpat094 Apr 18th 2016 6:03 am

Originally Posted by Robbie2010 (Post 11925611)
Still got the windows wide open in the Waikato. :)

Here on the Whangaparaoa Peninsula too;). Just as well given that out heat pumps are knackered and Fujitsu aren't being very helpful so far. The system went kaput 2+ months ago approx 6 months after the warranty ran out :angry_smile:. When you've shelled out nearly $10k for a heating/cooling system, I expect it to last a damn sight longer than 6.5 years.

snaps Apr 18th 2016 6:31 am

Heating on here yesterday too for the first time in 2016.