British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   NZ Wine Appreciation Society (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/nz-wine-appreciation-society-869382/)

Bo-Jangles Dec 19th 2015 12:04 am

NZ Wine Appreciation Society

So tis the season to be Merry and I won a couple of bottles of what some might consider to be 'good' stuff in a Christmas raffle and realise it's totally wasted on me as I don't really have the nose for what is good or bad.

My usual go to is a Kim Crawford or Peter Yealands Pinot Gris but pretty much anything wet and white is fair game and I generally prefer aromatics like Riesling or a Viogner if I can find them. I don't drink much and like most people my choice is often driven by whatever is on special at the supermarket, I laugh in the face of the pseuds in restaurants that can't possibly drink the Blah-di-blah 2013 and only the Whatsisface 2012 will do.

So, much like the 'What's for dinner' thread I'd like to try a little virtual wine tasting thread, please amuse us with some 'tasting notes' (BS wine speak) and tell us about the wine(s) or other stuff that you're drinking over the holidays.

Tell us what wine is it, why did you choose it, how much was it and what's good or bad about it. Would you buy it again?

snaps Dec 19th 2015 12:30 am

Re: NZ Wine Appreciation Society

Just a few years ago, a great of mine; but many years older had the suspicion that the people attending his house dinners and afternoons were in fact 'wine pseuds' to test the theory he saved some quality wine bottles and refilled them with carton wine. Needless to say the wine went down a treat.

My review of Chateau Rotorua 1857 to follow once I've let it rest, breathe and settle.

Baz036 Dec 20th 2015 10:37 am

Just go with what you like and damn the rest.
And being based in Blenheim the word is from the wine makers down here that anything with Marlborough 2015 on the label that does not taste good has been deliberately messed up.
Apparently the vintage was small but quality was great - advice was go for a ten buck 2015 and it will probably outshine an earlier year at double that price.

BEVS Dec 20th 2015 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by Baz036 (Post 11818047)
Just go with what you like and damn the rest.

:lol:
I think you've somewhat missed the intention of this thread.

The idea is to review a wine that you have bought. I would warrant that the more descriptive the wording , the better :sneaky:

Mark Smith Dec 20th 2015 10:18 pm

Alan Scott Sauvignon blanc, countdown $15, bought as this fruity grape variety is the only white that doesn't give me acid indigestion (enjoyed a lunch/cellar door there and have stuck to that brand since). Here's the BS - has gooseberry overtones with suggestion of fresh cut grass and herb aroma. A perfect go to wine for those busy mums on the go, wanting to forget their everyday loveless marriages.

Snap Shot Dec 21st 2015 12:11 am

I've actually found a red wine that I like. It's Jacob's Creek Double Barrel Syrah/Shiraz. Can't do any BS as I like it.

Whenever anyone is going on about wine's fruity aromas etc etc. Or it smelling like burnt crumpets and other such nonsense (I blame Gilly Goulden myself, if anyone remembers her.) I just think back to the old adverts for Cinzano where Leonard Rossiter rhapsodises about the aromatic blend of herbs or something like that.

I remember someone remarking years ago that Vermouth is stale wine that is sweetened with herbs.

However, I was in Countdown earlier today and I was amazed that they have got a 20% case discount for wine. Blimey, that brings the per bottle cost of Lindauer fizz down to $8.80 a bottle if 6 bottles are purchased in one go. All that party fizz for $52.80.

The case discount is good for any wine (except boxes I assume) either 6 bottles of the same or a mix of up to six bottles to get the case discount. Get stuck in as the discount ends on 27th December. Merry Christmas one and all !

:focus:

JaneRiley Dec 21st 2015 7:20 am

I like all the flavours: red, white and pink.

Justcol Dec 24th 2015 12:52 am

I have just picked up two bottles of Montepulciano for Xmas day. One bottle of D'abruzzo for
glugging with friends, and one Vino Nobile for the wife and I later in the evening.

Before we met, my wife's favorite was Montepulciano but she just thought it was a name
Six months after we met, my brother got married in Tuscany, in the tiny hill town of Montepulciano.
A year later, I took my wife for her first trip to Europe, during which we spent 3 lovely days
getting sozzled...sorry, I meant wine tasting !!

LukeandJo Dec 25th 2015 7:33 am

Anything Craggy Range, Stonyridge.

er... whats wrong with Yealands?

Pom_Chch Dec 28th 2015 6:36 am

Don't judge me, but I picked up a bottle of Peter Yealands pink fizzy stuff at the supermarket to share with a friend and it was very good! The main attraction to it was the $8 price tag. The bottle is also resealable, not like your standard bubbles bottle. That I like, just on the off chance the whole bottle isn't finished :lol:

Peter Yealands Sparkling Pinot Gris Blush | Yealands Estate

Charismatic Dec 28th 2015 8:31 am

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch (Post 11822352)
Don't judge me...

Let's not start making promises we don't intend to keep. :blink:

Our previous chat on cheap Pak 'n' Slave wine.

Charismatic Dec 28th 2015 9:30 am

Originally Posted by Snap Shot (Post 11818340)
Whenever anyone is going on about wine's fruity aromas etc etc.

Although not that surprising given it's fermented berry juice with some additives.

Let me explain the problem with wine:

At the end of a very enjoyable night you are standing at her door, warm hands comfortably holding one another, you gaze at each other in a quiet moment with warm breath and inviting yet nervous smiles as you stand next to one another. Enjoying a reverence for each others...otherness. Two souls with hearts tickling to tell all and reveal everything, a feeling of solitude about to be snapped by the first tentative touch of soft lips. Every ridiculous guess about the moment left you afraid of looking silly but now every inch between you is feeling like a mile yet begging to be leaned across to meet. Complicated situations rendered simple by the admission you both want everything of each other. So you say "G'night" get into your car and drive off.

Wine is just unfinished Brandy, it's most of the way there but lacks that vital last component to ascend the ladder from refreshment to drink. Lacks that critical component that makes something more than the sum of it's parts.

Bo-Jangles Jan 2nd 2016 8:25 pm

For no other reason than an attraction by the pretty pink colour, I chose a bottle of Kim Crawford 'Pansy' Rose to try on a warm summers day over the Christmas break.

They said 'Pretty pale pink in colour, with a lively nose brimming with bright berry and tropical fruit. The palate is soft and luscious, richly fruited with hints of watermelon and strawberry.'

My failing I think in choosing to open it on a cloudy dull Christmas day but even in all its lively 'gay' pinkness it didn't provide the fun, sunny lunchtime element I was looking for.

I might have bought it again if I saw it on special, however having discover that it was developed and marketed as the 'world's first gay wine' - it does leave me some days later with a sour aftertaste as it seems so terribly cliched and such a cheap gimmick.

So it's a :thumbdown: from me.

I do like the look of your 'Blush' Pinot Gris PomChCh it probably would have been a better choice for the 'fun' factor, I'll look out for some of that.

Pom_Chch Jan 2nd 2016 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles (Post 11826354)
For no other reason than an attraction by the pretty pink colour, I chose a bottle of Kim Crawford 'Pansy' Rose to try on a warm summers day over the Christmas break.

They said 'Pretty pale pink in colour, with a lively nose brimming with bright berry and tropical fruit. The palate is soft and luscious, richly fruited with hints of watermelon and strawberry.'

My failing I think in choosing to open it on a cloudy dull Christmas day but even in all its lively 'gay' pinkness it didn't provide the fun, sunny lunchtime element I was looking for.

I might have bought it again if I saw it on special, however having discover that it was developed and marketed as the 'world's first gay wine' - it does leave me some days later with a sour aftertaste as it seems so terribly cliched and such a cheap gimmick.

So it's a :thumbdown: from me.

I do like the look of your 'Blush' Pinot Gris PomChCh it probably would have been a better choice for the 'fun' factor, I'll look out for some of that.

The Kim Crawford sparking sauv is very good. Definitely a tough choice between the blush and the sauv. Both go down far too quickly :p

Kim Crawford Wines