NZ Wildlife

Old Aug 12th 2012, 7:44 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NZ Wildlife

My new favourite hobby is Paua shell finding, I've found 3 today but finding one washed up in perfect condition is pretty tough.
Go snorkelling, get your own.
Chop finely, overnight soak in lemon juice, then drain and serve in coconut cream with chopped tomatoes.
Still taste like tyres, but a better class of tyre.
Leaves you with intact shells and a crappy, sicky feeling in your stomach.
Old Aug 12th 2012, 9:55 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by hazeandsteve
Chop finely, overnight soak in lemon juice, then drain and serve in coconut cream with chopped tomatoes.
Mate !
Old Aug 12th 2012, 11:54 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Some sad news.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10826526

I had the 'pleasure' of meeting Greg on a couple of occasions.
Old Aug 13th 2012, 11:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

MattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
Some sad news.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10826526

I had the 'pleasure' of meeting Greg on a couple of occasions.
nooooo"! before we got to see him ;( RIP big fella!

I love NZ wildlife. was not into birds until living here.. but they so cool. i love Tui's (get loads singing in the garden) and cheeky fantails best.
stll plan on gong to Tiri this summer!
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 11:35 am
BE Enthusiast

chocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond repute

As well as seeing the usual pests, possums, rabbits, stoats etc. (what a ridiculous idea it was to introduce these and like) I've been lucky enough to have seen a Kiwi and Morepork in the wild, plus out kayaking dolphins, orcas, seals and more regularly blue penguins.
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 9:00 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HeatherGirl
The sound of the crickets chirping in the evenings remind me of sunshine holidays... wonder if that novelty will ever wear off. Hope not!
Coming into my sixth NZ summer and it has NOT worn off. I was in the UK for summer a few years ago and it just felt kind of flat without the ring. My garden is very sheltered and they start early and end late here- I just love the sound.

Originally Posted by hazeandsteve
Hmmm, yes- they don't call them Paua Sh**ters for nothing
Old Aug 24th 2012, 12:52 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Yes there is the gentle chirp of crickets. Unfotunately there is also the incessant rasp of cicadas too. They start as soon as the temperature gets to a certain point which in mid summer can be about dawn or first light. Then they don't effing stop all day and into the evening.

I long for the delicious quiet (well, no cicadas anyway) of the British summer. When black birds contribute to the dawn chorus is lovely. Blackbirds sing their lovely song in NZ too.

My cat likes to chase and catch cicadas. I'm guessing some birds will eat cicadas so it's not all bad. I suprised that a cicada can be the size of my thumb. They don't bite or sting though. Blasted blackflies bite similar to a gnat bite though ! Same 'wee beasties' as in Scotland !

We have a keraru who likes to roost in our kowhai tree. The Tui birds are great in the spring. Fantails look nice on our weeping elm tree. They land for about one second then go again.

NZ Mynah birds are noisy critters ! The blackbirds, sparrows and thrushes are pretty standard too.

Last edited by Snap Shot; Aug 24th 2012 at 12:54 am.
Old Aug 28th 2012, 8:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Caz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with Ray and Debbie - the cicadas annoy the hell out of me! and i've never been bitten by bugs as much in my life throughout the summer and winter as I have since living here!