Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

NZ Who's country is it?

NZ Who's country is it?

Old Mar 6th 2009, 4:04 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NZ Who's country is it?

Originally Posted by luvwelly
I've been pleasantly surprised by how harmonious it all is tbh
I guess thats my view too!
OK, I live in the SI where the demographics are very different, but I keep in touch with the news and things are pretty good on the whole.
Old Mar 6th 2009, 5:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by luvwelly
I've been pleasantly surprised by how harmonious it all is tbh

I have to say it all comes over very benign from my perspective too... BUT I do not think that is the reality across the whole country. Neither from what I hear on the radio or read in the papers. I think we are a divided country. Just look at the gang problem..I know they exist all over the world but the gang culture here from what I understand far more deep seated and problematic for this country (and the police) than in other small countries.

Why oh why are maori so hugely over represented in the prison system..that says it all for me.
Old Mar 6th 2009, 6:21 am
Enjoying retirement

NakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to behold

Still, it could have been whole lot worse.

In 1901, when Australia became independent, there was a very real possibility that New Zealand could have become an integral part of Australia. The 1901 Australian constitution even included New Zealand in the list of states and terratories that made up Australia.

Believe me, it very nearly happened.

And look how they treat their indiginous people.

Last edited by NakiMan; Mar 6th 2009 at 6:30 am.
Old Mar 6th 2009, 6:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NakiMan
Still, it could have been whole lot worse.
..or "we" could have lost the second world war.
Where would the "Treaty of Waitangi" be if that had happened?

Last edited by Browner_; Mar 6th 2009 at 6:42 am.
Old Mar 6th 2009, 9:08 am
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute

Cos there are so many benefits to being Maori that I'm consdering working out my whakapapa. What baloney! The average maori does not seem advantaged IMO. Get off the grass. As for the "not many 100% maoris left" another slice of baloney. coming to NZ, as Tau iwi, means accepting that this is a bicultural not multicultural country and that we come by virtue of the treaty
Old Mar 6th 2009, 11:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pricklykina
Coming to NZ, as Tau iwi, means accepting that this is a bicultural not multicultural country and that we come by virtue of the treaty
Does it? No-one told me that. Thats a shame, Im with the Egalitarianists.
Old Mar 6th 2009, 4:08 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

No many 100% maori left? that old racist line is such a load of codswallop.

I agree that NZ is bicultural. It's never going to be all one and the same. Most people I know (of my generation, which grew up when the treaty courts were established) accept that the Maori have certain rights and grievances. Unlike some other countries (Australia being the worst example) the native people actually have a certain demographic and political power in NZ. I wonder if that's a hard thing for some immigrants to accept?
Old Mar 6th 2009, 6:41 pm
Forum Regular

Leigh of the Valley is just really niceLeigh of the Valley is just really niceLeigh of the Valley is just really niceLeigh of the Valley is just really niceLeigh of the Valley is just really niceLeigh of the Valley is just really niceLeigh of the Valley is just really niceLeigh of the Valley is just really nice

Originally Posted by Genesis
Lots of people have been saying of late put the past behind us..blah, blah blah. They are sooooooooo right. We need to pull together as one (yeah right!) if we are to go forward.

I would love for us all to have the same treatment accorded each other irrespective of ethnicity..ie we are all in the same boat. At some juncture we will have to put the past behind us to be able to get on. I cannot keep raking up my mother's dislike of me or my 1st wife leaving me otherwise my life would be in disarray. The same should go for NZ. We should draw a line in the sand the day all this settlement stuff is done. After that we ALL get treated the same..in every respect.

Do you think it will ever happen? What is that saying about divided we fall? I guess one day we will be so interrelated that perchance we will forget the evils of the past and look to a brighter future.
Its interesting that you talk of putting the past behind like its just something that can be forgotten and buried. The past is what brought the present situation so cannot just be forgotten. A lot of inequalities need redressing before people can move on. It does not take much to see that maori people suffer more social, economic and health problems, and are also over represented in the criminal justice system. Why do you think this is so?
Old Mar 6th 2009, 8:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leigh of the Valley
Its interesting that you talk of putting the past behind like its just something that can be forgotten and buried. The past is what brought the present situation so cannot just be forgotten. A lot of inequalities need redressing before people can move on. It does not take much to see that maori people suffer more social, economic and health problems, and are also over represented in the criminal justice system. Why do you think this is so?
Because of them being an 'underclass'. I don't think its fair and I used the term 'lest we forget'. I don't expect to ignore the past but we need to move on as one whilst respecting our differnces and treating each other according to our needs. I believe a country CAN be united as one yet have both subtle and major differences. We are not a united country IMO.
Old Mar 6th 2009, 8:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

jennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond repute

If you are in favour of portraying the 'Maori' people as a forward thinking, civilised, motivated, hard working, deserving section of the New Zealand community, as most right thinking people are, the last thing you want to be looking at is the Maori History- or past in relation to their activities in the Chatham Islands!
The Pakeha have a lot to be ashamed about , but at least there are survivors left of those crimes, who can demand compensation!

There are enough senseless conflicts in this world, based on happenings of past centuries, resulting in pain, death and destruction!
Always 'the sins of the Father'.
I am ashamed at what my countrymen did in India.
I am bitterly ashamed at how my countrymen became rich through the slave trade.
I am also angry that African Tribesman do not accept their part in the slave trade, which they were running long before the Europeans became involved.
I am bewildered how a modern world had NO knowledge of what was happening to the Jews during the Second WW. I am surely bereft at the misery and deprivation endured by the good people of Zimbabwe.

So please, please, all you people, who wring your hands and weep your tears about the injustices suffered by the Maori- stop- think- listen- open your eyes to what's happening in the world and thank god that Maori culture and Maori people are revered and well catered for in this beautiful country of New Zealand, not as a duty, not as recompense, but because the GOOD of Maori culture (of which there is much) truly should be celebrated !
Assimilation is not to be strived for but integration is already here! Future generations will continue the 'melting pot' culture ,which will augur well for the future of NZ society, providing its people [Maori + Pakeha+ Islanders + Asians+Africans] show a willingness, a desire to move forward together for the good of the country! If the country thrives- we all thrive!
Old Mar 6th 2009, 9:39 pm
Forum Regular

Leigh of the Valley is just really niceLeigh of the Valley is just really niceLeigh of the Valley is just really niceLeigh of the Valley is just really niceLeigh of the Valley is just really niceLeigh of the Valley is just really niceLeigh of the Valley is just really niceLeigh of the Valley is just really nice

Originally Posted by jennifer45
If you are in favour of portraying the 'Maori' people as a forward thinking, civilised, motivated, hard working, deserving section of the New Zealand community, as most right thinking people are, the last thing you want to be looking at is the Maori History- or past in relation to their activities in the Chatham Islands!
The Pakeha have a lot to be ashamed about , but at least there are survivors left of those crimes, who can demand compensation!

There are enough senseless conflicts in this world, based on happenings of past centuries, resulting in pain, death and destruction!
Always 'the sins of the Father'.
I am ashamed at what my countrymen did in India.
I am bitterly ashamed at how my countrymen became rich through the slave trade.
I am also angry that African Tribesman do not accept their part in the slave trade, which they were running long before the Europeans became involved.
I am bewildered how a modern world had NO knowledge of what was happening to the Jews during the Second WW. I am surely bereft at the misery and deprivation endured by the good people of Zimbabwe.

So please, please, all you people, who wring your hands and weep your tears about the injustices suffered by the Maori- stop- think- listen- open your eyes to what's happening in the world and thank god that Maori culture and Maori people are revered and well catered for in this beautiful country of New Zealand, not as a duty, not as recompense, but because the GOOD of Maori culture (of which there is much) truly should be celebrated !
Assimilation is not to be strived for but integration is already here! Future generations will continue the 'melting pot' culture ,which will augur well for the future of NZ society, providing its people [Maori + Pakeha+ Islanders + Asians+Africans] show a willingness, a desire to move forward together for the good of the country! If the country thrives- we all thrive!
If the Maori are revered and well catered for, as you say, then why are there still social inequalities?
My point is that history determined the present situation. The present situation of social inequalities needs addressing for the country to become a world player. You cannot just ask people to move on, as that is a simplistic solution.
Old Mar 6th 2009, 10:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

jennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond repute

If the Maori are revered and well catered for, as you say, then why are there still social inequalities?
My point is that history determined the present situation. The present situation of social inequalities needs addressing for the country to become a world player. You cannot just ask people to move on, as that is a simplistic solution.
Did you read and understand my post or simply go for the part which suited your argument?
That is the way to widen the division and continue the political conflict!
Old Mar 6th 2009, 11:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

I think [I don't know] that there are always groups of people, who appear to lack much in society. Some would argue it stems from their lack of education, failure to value the education based on the culture of their antagonists or opposites. A preference to follow a more easy life style.
An attitude, which when supported by the state, encourages some to adopt an even more idle, antagonistic, demanding lifestyle. This applies to certain types of people, which exist in all racial, cultural groups.
Colour or creed have little bearing.
Figures of prison inmates are quoted in many European countries showing that a greater percentage of inmates are black. Why?
Are a greater percentage of crimes committed by blacks?
There are many very successful Maori and some exceptional Pukeha failures!
Personality traits play a large part but state intervention in the UK has produced an underclass where up to 4 generations in single families have never finished school, have never held a job, have no intention of gaining employment because they get far more in benefits than if working.
Why 'wear yourself down, when if you make enough noise , the Nanny State will provide!
The welfare sate was a wonderful conception!
Unfortunately it has been sadly abused.
This abuse has added to the problems of those in genuine need!
Old Mar 6th 2009, 11:22 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

I can see some people on this thread have no clue what they're talking about and no understanding of why things are the way they are. It's disrespectful to come to a country 200 years later and be all "let's just move on"...the truly respectful thing to do would be to learn some NZ history, maybe take a course in te reo, and develop some humility about problems which you clearly don't understand. This is not Europe. Whatever about your UK ancestors, using that example just proves your ignorance about NZ.

Platitudes are just that - platitudes. They are useless for solving problems.

Please, after 300 years the Quebecois still have greivances with english speaking canada, what on earth makes you think the Maori will cease to have grievances either? that's just naive.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 4:42 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: NZ Who's country is it?

I see myself as part Maori, after all we share about 99.98% of the same genetic code .

Any way what a waste this country would have been if left to a few tribes, unfurnished with the many improvements the European settlers brought with them from civilisation. Who really "owns" land anyway? We are the transient parasites, there will be land long after man has gone from this earth .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.