Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

NZ version of 'Have I Got News'....

NZ version of 'Have I Got News'....

Old Nov 5th 2010, 8:36 am
BE Enthusiast

londonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of light
Default NZ version of 'Have I Got News'....

...I'm rather enjoying my first viewing of '7 Days'...which seems to be the equivalent of one of my fave political shows in the UK? Or not? And some of the comments of radio broadcasters have had me chuckling away in the morning. Most of them seem to skirt the fine line quite closely which you'd never quite get away with in the UK any more. I quite like that. (Paul Henryesque comments, however, I can live without )

Can you tell, that I have just had Sky installed after nearly 3 months of lack of telly Oh how I missed vegging out on the sofa with a glass of wine and Glee on the box!

Is there anything else worth watching in NZ? I confess the whole Paul Henry saga put me off - is there anything akin to BBC 24 here?

Thanks!
Old Nov 5th 2010, 8:52 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NZ version of 'Have I Got News'....

Originally Posted by londonescapee

Is there anything else worth watching in NZ? I confess the whole Paul Henry saga put me off - is there anything akin to BBC 24 here?

Thanks!
In a word "No". HIGN was my favourite show and I haven't found anything as good here. I tend to watch Triangle TV at night for my news fix - they've got US Newshour and Al Jazeera which if you've never watched it is one of the best news channels around. Surprisingly unbiased.
Old Nov 5th 2010, 8:54 am

Woodpigeon is an unknown quantity at this point

My eldest two teenagers watch 7 days religiously (right now Tim Shadbolt is trying not to say yes or no) - I have to cut short my watching of sex in pants aka 'Sharpe' on Prime for them (ending is always recorded so I can finish enjoying it another time).

Have to say that I don't enjoy it as much as Have I Got News For You, some of it is funny, but a lot of it is just too OTT for me.

You might like to try watching WANNA-BEn which is on next, can also be amusing sometimes if rather off the wall
Old Nov 5th 2010, 9:13 am
BE Enthusiast

londonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Woodpigeon
My eldest two teenagers watch 7 days religiously (right now Tim Shadbolt is trying not to say yes or no) - I have to cut short my watching of sex in pants aka 'Sharpe' on Prime for them (ending is always recorded so I can finish enjoying it another time).

Have to say that I don't enjoy it as much as Have I Got News For You, some of it is funny, but a lot of it is just too OTT for me.

You might like to try watching WANNA-BEn which is on next, can also be amusing sometimes if rather off the wall
Hmm I see what you mean about 7 Days having now seen a whole episode as there were a few things that were rather strange. Some moments of genius but whoever the idiot was with the white and red stripy shirt on making 5-year old faces behind the Invercargill Mayor was - he wasn't funny! The rather childish side of NZ humour which I don't find very amusing. But to be fair, no more annoying than Ian Hislop or some of those Radio 1 djs, just in a different way Ah I do miss Paul Merton though.....

Husband has just turned over to watch some caught on camera stuff so I will have to catch WANNA-BEN next week I am off for some sleep as my mum arrives tomorrow yay

Last edited by londonescapee; Nov 5th 2010 at 9:15 am.
Old Nov 5th 2010, 9:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Batty
In a word "No". HIGN was my favourite show and I haven't found anything as good here. I tend to watch Triangle TV at night for my news fix - they've got US Newshour and Al Jazeera which if you've never watched it is one of the best news channels around. Surprisingly unbiased.
Al Jazeera? How interesting, I shall give it a go! Thanks
Old Nov 5th 2010, 9:18 am
If u see Sid, tell 'im...

Location: Ex of Hucknall and Mansfield, Notts and now in Manly, Whangaparaoa, just North of Auckland!
sirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond repute

Try watching 'Wingin It', I think it's on Tuesday....

http://www.c4tv.co.nz/Shows/WinginIt...x?showid=19889
Old Nov 5th 2010, 9:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sirplug
Try watching 'Wingin It', I think it's on Tuesday....

http://www.c4tv.co.nz/Shows/WinginIt...x?showid=19889
Now there are dog agility trials on telly Love it! although our hound will never ever be as well behaved so now feel like a bad dog owner!
Old Nov 5th 2010, 9:41 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: NZ version of 'Have I Got News'....

Ah I do miss Paul Merton though.....
Angus Daeyton! Come back Angus, all is forgiven.
Old Nov 5th 2010, 9:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Charismatic
Angus Daeyton! Come back Angus, all is forgiven.
I know but you just can't look at him the same way now! Naughty man....
Old Nov 5th 2010, 9:56 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: NZ version of 'Have I Got News'....

I know but you just can't look at him the same way now! Naughty man....
Who hasn't fallen for an easy boy/girl after a few drinks? He without sin...etc.
Old Nov 5th 2010, 7:32 pm

Woodpigeon is an unknown quantity at this point

Husband has just turned over to watch some caught on camera stuff so I will have to catch WANNA-BEN next week I am off for some sleep as my mum arrives tomorrow yay
Hmmm, on reflection, if you are still getting acustomed to NZ humour you might want to wait a while before trying WANNA-BEn, it can be kind of infantile humour with an adult twist. OH walked into the room when it was on last night, winced, groaned, shook his head and rolled his eyes and went to bed

Yay for your mum arriving - hope she has a great visit
Old Nov 6th 2010, 5:21 am
Forum Regular

bunnyphobia is on a distinguished road

Hmmm, on reflection, if you are still getting acustomed to NZ humour you might want to wait a while before trying WANNA-BEn, it can be kind of infantile humour with an adult twist. OH walked into the room when it was on last night, winced, groaned, shook his head and rolled his eyes and went to bed

Yay for your mum arriving - hope she has a great visit
I have to say, I shared your husband's reaction to Wanna-ben. Managed to stomach it for ten minutes, then gave up.

7 Days, however, does have sheer, sharp observational moments of comic genius. There are also whole sections of the show where I don't have a clue what's going on, never mind laugh. Like HIGN in the olden days, I suppose

We don't have sky, so have given up on decent news channels and resorted to the newspapers instead - aside from some severe proofreading problems, they're pretty good.
Old Nov 6th 2010, 8:06 am
Forum Regular

DennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bunnyphobia
I have to say, I shared your husband's reaction to Wanna-ben. Managed to stomach it for ten minutes, then gave up.

7 Days, however, does have sheer, sharp observational moments of comic genius. There are also whole sections of the show where I don't have a clue what's going on, never mind laugh. Like HIGN in the olden days, I suppose

We don't have sky, so have given up on decent news channels and resorted to the newspapers instead - aside from some severe proofreading problems, they're pretty good.
wanna Ben is awesome
the one with Steven Segal was quality

Glad to see i still can see Neighbours out here
Old Nov 6th 2010, 8:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Puerile is the word that springs to mind, it's dire in the extreme. It seemed promising, however like most NZ 'comedy' it is painfully embarrassing with the comic content being the 'star' dressing up in women's clothes or painting on a black face at every given opportunity
Old Nov 7th 2010, 9:05 am
Just Joined

braddles is an unknown quantity at this point

Outrageous Fortune is great for those who would like to see a humorous insight into one of New Zealand's popular stereo-types - The West Aucklanders

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.