NZ to the USA

Old Feb 4th 2010, 7:05 am
Just Joined

Barnacle123 has a brilliant futureBarnacle123 has a brilliant futureBarnacle123 has a brilliant futureBarnacle123 has a brilliant futureBarnacle123 has a brilliant futureBarnacle123 has a brilliant futureBarnacle123 has a brilliant future
Default NZ to the USA

Hi All,

I've been in New Zealand now for almost 5 years (we came for 1!) and yes, absolutely love it. Moved from the UK to NZ, originally from Wales. Sure, the weather is a bit weird at times (and by weird I mean cold and wet) and the houses leave much to be desired but as a country, its stunning. Beautiful in every way and yes, the people rock too.

Now, i've been offered a pretty good job in the states (Santa Monica, California) for really good pay. Is there anybody here who has moved from NZ to the US and either regretted it or loved it? At first I was really excited but i'm starting to get second thoughts big-time now and am wondering if it would be best to actually stay here. We're full residents now and made lots of friends etc.

Anyway, if anyone can give me some words of advice on this, it would be hugely helpful, even if its just a good kick up the arse
Old Feb 4th 2010, 7:42 am
BE Enthusiast

nero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NZ to the USA

I lived in California for a couple of years before coming to NZ. The countries are very different - Santa Monica is a nice area of LA but LA is a vast city with a massive population. The weather is not so erratic as NZ and the housing stock is much better. Public transport has improved marginally but most people use a car to get from a to b very few people cycle or walk. The main issue I have with LA is the overcrowding, the smog (marine layer) which can stink and make your eyes sore. When the smog is not bad you can stand on the beach and see the local San Bernadino mountains, which is quite cool. The freeways are packed and often just a parking lot. Violent crime and gangs do exist but I never experienced this during my two years of living there. There are loads of shops and things to do in and around LA, good restaurants, night clubs etc. You can escape into the countryside which can be stunning. Wages are a lot better. Americans can be very welcoming - a bit loud at times but you get used to this quite quickly.

IMHO there are as many pros as cons and you need to weigh these up. I enjoyed my time in the States and have no regrets. Would I go and live there now - probably not. But that is out of personal choice and I have already been there. Where do you live now? Could you just go and experience it and see if it is a place you would like to live in? Sounds like a great offer but as I say it really depends what you will have to give up or gain if you do it.

Happy to try and answer any questions if I can.
Old Feb 4th 2010, 8:31 am
Just Joined

Barnacle123 has a brilliant futureBarnacle123 has a brilliant futureBarnacle123 has a brilliant futureBarnacle123 has a brilliant futureBarnacle123 has a brilliant futureBarnacle123 has a brilliant futureBarnacle123 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by nero
I lived in California for a couple of years before coming to NZ. The countries are very different - Santa Monica is a nice area of LA but LA is a vast city with a massive population. The weather is not so erratic as NZ and the housing stock is much better. Public transport has improved marginally but most people use a car to get from a to b very few people cycle or walk. The main issue I have with LA is the overcrowding, the smog (marine layer) which can stink and make your eyes sore. When the smog is not bad you can stand on the beach and see the local San Bernadino mountains, which is quite cool. The freeways are packed and often just a parking lot. Violent crime and gangs do exist but I never experienced this during my two years of living there. There are loads of shops and things to do in and around LA, good restaurants, night clubs etc. You can escape into the countryside which can be stunning. Wages are a lot better. Americans can be very welcoming - a bit loud at times but you get used to this quite quickly.

IMHO there are as many pros as cons and you need to weigh these up. I enjoyed my time in the States and have no regrets. Would I go and live there now - probably not. But that is out of personal choice and I have already been there. Where do you live now? Could you just go and experience it and see if it is a place you would like to live in? Sounds like a great offer but as I say it really depends what you will have to give up or gain if you do it.

Happy to try and answer any questions if I can.
Hi Nero,

Many thanks for your reply, much appreciated!

At the moment we live in Wellington and the two of us have pretty good jobs. However, this new job is actually a pretty awesome opportunity and, as some have said, it would be almost silly to miss it.

My visa is almost sorted, just need to go up to Auckland to get the whole stamp thing.

I suppose my biggest apprehension is actually leaving NZ. This is 'home' now and I think I would miss it heaps. Even though i'm originally from the UK and I only left it 5 years ago, I don't miss that place at all, but that's besides the point

In regards to Santa Monica, where would you recommend living? Do you know of any good areas?

Again, thanks for any help here.
Old Feb 4th 2010, 9:11 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Barnacle123
Hi All,

I've been in New Zealand now for almost 5 years (we came for 1!) and yes, absolutely love it. Moved from the UK to NZ, originally from Wales. Sure, the weather is a bit weird at times (and by weird I mean cold and wet) and the houses leave much to be desired but as a country, its stunning. Beautiful in every way and yes, the people rock too.

Now, i've been offered a pretty good job in the states (Santa Monica, California) for really good pay. Is there anybody here who has moved from NZ to the US and either regretted it or loved it? At first I was really excited but i'm starting to get second thoughts big-time now and am wondering if it would be best to actually stay here. We're full residents now and made lots of friends etc.

Anyway, if anyone can give me some words of advice on this, it would be
hugely helpful, even if its just a good kick up the arse
Can I come with you?
Old Feb 4th 2010, 9:18 am
BE Enthusiast

AngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

We only live once go for it & if you don't like it you can always come back to NZ. That way at least you can say you tried

Good Luck
Old Feb 4th 2010, 10:45 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I know you'll have your IRRVs , but are you able to wait and gain your NZ citizenship first?

Other than that, you only live once & opportunity should be grabbed and enjoyed.
Old Feb 5th 2010, 5:34 am
BE Enthusiast

nero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Nero,

Many thanks for your reply, much appreciated!

At the moment we live in Wellington and the two of us have pretty good jobs. However, this new job is actually a pretty awesome opportunity and, as some have said, it would be almost silly to miss it.

My visa is almost sorted, just need to go up to Auckland to get the whole stamp thing.

I suppose my biggest apprehension is actually leaving NZ. This is 'home' now and I think I would miss it heaps. Even though i'm originally from the UK and I only left it 5 years ago, I don't miss that place at all, but that's besides the point

In regards to Santa Monica, where would you recommend living? Do you know of any good areas?

Again, thanks for any help here.
Sorry I cannot recommend any particular areas in Santa Monica, but I am sure if you pop onto the USA expats site someone should be able to help. I lived near Anaheim (I know Disneyland)! If you have your indefinate PR and cannot wait for your citizenship - go for it. You can always come back home if you do not like it, just have an OE in the States. Good luck whatever you decide.
Old Feb 5th 2010, 10:55 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nero
Sorry I cannot recommend any particular areas in Santa Monica, but I am sure if you pop onto the USA expats site someone should be able to help. I lived near Anaheim (I know Disneyland)! If you have your indefinate PR and cannot wait for your citizenship - go for it. You can always come back home if you do not like it, just have an OE in the States. Good luck whatever you decide.
I would take a different view.

First, if you have an IRRV you can return (assuming the law doesn't change) but usually you have re-set the clock for NZ citizenship so it may be many years before getting that.

Second, if someone has settled in New Zealand and made a good home in the country, moving on to a third country isn't necessarily a good idea. Some people will enjoy the new adventure, others will not.
Old Feb 6th 2010, 3:30 am
Just Joined

Thanks for all the replies guys. Its really helpfull to hear other people's thoughts and opinions.

Yes, what you all say is true. You do only live once and yes, as you said, I may as well go and give it a try and then if it doesn't work out, NZ will always be here. Its funny how I think about coming back to NZ and not back to the UK where i'm originally from

I suppose what's bothering me too, is the fact that i'd lose my job here in NZ.

Anyway, thanks heaps to everyone! It's been a HUGE help!
Old Feb 6th 2010, 6:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the replies guys. Its really helpfull to hear other people's thoughts and opinions.

Yes, what you all say is true. You do only live once and yes, as you said, I may as well go and give it a try and then if it doesn't work out, NZ will always be here. Its funny how I think about coming back to NZ and not back to the UK where i'm originally from

Hi, my 1st thoughts where if it ain't broke don't fix it, so I thought stay in NZ. You like it and all that. I used to be a huge fan of the US and have good friends in North Carolina. But for some reason the US has lost some of its shine for me. My last stay in San Francisco had summat to do with that. The place is wildly beautiful BUT the world and his wife want tipping whatever where ever you go. That so annoys me. In NZ as you know its not the thing to tip aye? We even got a surcharge as we were '5 or more ' for 1 sitting at a burger joint. 75% of all bankrupcies in the US are as a result of medical bills (having no health ins)..that too would worry me I understand the cost of the latter is huge. However Santa Monica IS beautiful as is California. You ARE going to be very well paid so money will not be an object (neither will tipping!!). I guess the the big thing will be the huge culture shock. But 'he who dares', if I were thee I would go for it. As for losing your NZ job? Ca'nt make omlettes without breaking eggs aye. Go on do it..you know you want to. How exciting for you!!!!!
Old Feb 6th 2010, 9:02 pm
Banned

dytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nice

Amazing opportunity. I would jump at it. California is an amazing part of the US. You can always come back to NZ if it doesn't work out,(assuming you have residency).
Old Feb 6th 2010, 9:44 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Out of interest, what US visa will you have? And even if you can get a US work visa, do you understand that the pathway to a green card may be difficult or impossible (depends on your situation).

Are you happy to go to the USA knowing that you will probably have to leave in due course and by so doing, you may be putting back eligibility for your New Zealand citizenship/passport by 5-10 years?

You might want to do a search for posts by "dunroving" (who moved from the USA to the UK), just to get a perspective that if you life in NZ is good and suits you, think hard before abandoning it.
Old Feb 7th 2010, 3:29 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JAJ
Out of interest, what US visa will you have? And even if you can get a US work visa, do you understand that the pathway to a green card may be difficult or impossible (depends on your situation).

Are you happy to go to the USA knowing that you will probably have to leave in due course and by so doing, you may be putting back eligibility for your New Zealand citizenship/passport by 5-10 years?

You might want to do a search for posts by "dunroving" (who moved from the USA to the UK), just to get a perspective that if you life in NZ is good and suits you, think hard before abandoning it.
I've already got a full H1B visa. I know this expires after 3 years but its a relatively straightforward process to renew it (even though I have to come back to new zealand to get the passport stamped).
Old Feb 7th 2010, 5:07 am
JAJ
Retired

I've already got a full H1B visa. I know this expires after 3 years but its a relatively straightforward process to renew it (even though I have to come back to new zealand to get the passport stamped).
That is so but there are limits on subsequent renewal of a H1-B and if your green card pathway is in the third preference, that could take many years to complete.

I'm not trying to be negative, although I appear so, but many people think that having a work visa means that a green card will follow. This is not necessarily the case in the USA. If it works out that you can get a green card through second or even first preference, that's much better but it is worth knowing that at the outset.