Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

NZ University fees

NZ University fees

Old Nov 3rd 2010, 1:54 pm
Just Joined

macmattom is just really nicemacmattom is just really nicemacmattom is just really nicemacmattom is just really nicemacmattom is just really nicemacmattom is just really nicemacmattom is just really nicemacmattom is just really nicemacmattom is just really nice
Default NZ University fees

Hi. I've not posted on here for a few months now, but with the recent revelation that the UK university fees are just about to rocket, can anybody tell me what the cost of university fees are in NZ?

My sons are both just coming up to uni age at the exact time the fees rise (great timing!). What would be the approximate fees for uni? I'm only wondering about the uni fees, not accommodation or food, travel/transport etc. Nor am I after what discounts, loans or offsets might be available (yet), but just the basic price of a year at uni.

I reckon it might be worth thinking about sending the kids to NZ to get some life-experiences as well as an education. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Mac
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 5:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

MOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NZ University fees

Fees will vary enormously depending on whether your children are permanent residents or not.

If you have permanent residency, the annual fees for a degree will be approximately $4000-5000 per year. For example at the University of Waikato where I'm studying, check out http://www.waikato.ac.nz/study/money/fees-domestic.shtl for sample fees.

If you are classed as an International Student, start saving as the fees are approximately $17,000 - $20,000 per year and have to be paid upfront to be granted a visa http://www.waikato.ac.nz/study/money...internat.shtml

Although you say you don't want to know about loans, it is relevent as even if you are a permanent resident paying domestic fees, you are not eligible for a student loan unless you have actually lived in NZ for 2 years (this rule changed this year).

Last edited by MOSO; Nov 3rd 2010 at 5:52 pm. Reason: missed a bit!
Old Nov 4th 2010, 1:44 am

Woodpigeon is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MOSO View Post
Fees will vary enormously depending on whether your children are permanent residents or not.
And also depending on which uni they choose to go to, and what they choose to study. Health Sciences are way higher than humanities, for example.

Info about University of Otago fees can be found here:

http://www.otago.ac.nz/study/fees/ (domestic)

and here:

http://www.otago.ac.nz/international/otago002190.html (international)
Old Nov 4th 2010, 1:49 am

Woodpigeon is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by macmattom View Post

I reckon it might be worth thinking about sending the kids to NZ to get some life-experiences as well as an education. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Just had a thought, if your boys are at uni outside of NZ they might be able to get some of that life-experience by becoming exchange students for a semester or two (or even just a few weeks during the NZ summer). Have a look here, for what is offered at Otago:

http://www.otago.ac.nz/study/student...ago001485.html
Old Nov 4th 2010, 2:25 am
BE Enthusiast

londonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of light

Hi I am studying at Massey (humanities) and that is $5,300 a year. I am a permanent resident. I also looked at Uni of Auckland and it was around about the same for the particular course I was interested in. Good luck.
Old Nov 4th 2010, 3:54 am
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

Worth considering some European Universities that offer courses in English for a small fraction of the fees even charged currently in the UK. Norway is one such country and I think I remember The Netherlands offering low fees to EU students.
Old Nov 4th 2010, 4:13 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

Here is the relevant page for Victoria University http://www.victoria.ac.nz/home/study...catalogue.aspx