Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

NZ Tax Bill Introduced - UK Pensions

NZ Tax Bill Introduced - UK Pensions

Old Feb 8th 2014, 11:30 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NZ Tax Bill Introduced - UK Pensions

Originally Posted by mikehum
Hi CHC4ME
Was wondering if you would be able to answer a question or advise on a possible solution to my situation.
I am currently in NZ on a 3 year work visa and therefore unable to pay into Kiwi saver but my employer is accruing pension contributions for me which are held in their account. This is were it gets a bit tricky in that I do not intend to stay in New Zealand so the contributions will never be paid into a Kiwi saver. I would like to be able to get my hands on this money when I do leave so is there any other fund I could get my employer to pay the contributions to? One of my colleagues who is NZ citizen has been able to 'cash out' I was wondering if I could do the same.

Many thanks in advance
There are superannuation investment funds which are not kiwisaver that you or your employer can pay into. Not sure if you can cash out though. Obviously you'll need to check on that as well as eligibility. I suggest you google the underlined and see what you get.
Old Feb 9th 2014, 9:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

chc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
I was and have always been under the impression that we could now withdraw 100% if we so wished, having popped over the 55yr mark.
For transfers before April 2012, that was (and is) an option and is commonly referred to as 'the old rules'. So yes you are correct. However for all transfers after that date, the rules are more restrictive and requires intimate knowledge of the rules.
Old Mar 13th 2014, 6:06 am
Just Joined

KiwiAnt is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by chc4me
A correction is needed here. One of the advantages of a saving into a UK Pension is that you have tax relief on contributions. To say you paid tax on the money when you earned it is not quite right.

Effectively, you saved tax free and it grew tax free. The NZ IRD have given you the opportunity to pay a small amount of tax (on the first 15% of your transfer, that means the other 85% is tax free!!), and the benefit of paying this onetime tax is any withdrawals you make, no further tax.

Sounds like a great deal to me.

If you had of left the funds in the UK, you would pay tax on each and every withdrawal. That includes the initial 25% Pension Commencement Lump Sum and the monthly pension payment - for the rest of your life.

Of course, tax is only one consideration to a Pension transfer. There are pro's and con's for keeping it in the UK or making a transfer.
Hi chc4me

I have been looking for some advice around transferring my NHS pension from the UK to NZ and found your posts on this forum. I registered especially so I could contact you of further advice but as a newbie can't send you a PM to make contact! Could you please PM me as I am keen to get some advice before the April tax change :-)

Cheers
Old Mar 13th 2014, 7:07 am
BE Enthusiast

chc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Kiwi Ant, Personal Message sent to you.
Old Mar 13th 2014, 7:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

julesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to behold

A correction is needed here. One of the advantages of a saving into a UK Pension is that you have tax relief on contributions. To say you paid tax on the money when you earned it is not quite right.

Effectively, you saved tax free and it grew tax free. The NZ IRD have given you the opportunity to pay a small amount of tax (on the first 15% of your transfer, that means the other 85% is tax free!!), and the benefit of paying this onetime tax is any withdrawals you make, no further tax.

Sounds like a great deal to me.

If you had of left the funds in the UK, you would pay tax on each and every withdrawal. That includes the initial 25% Pension Commencement Lump Sum and the monthly pension payment - for the rest of your life.

Of course, tax is only one consideration to a Pension transfer. There are pro's and con's for keeping it in the UK or making a transfer.
Thats a great answer and made it so clear as to what these new rules mean.
many thanks chc4me
Old Mar 13th 2014, 7:59 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Thanks Kiwi Ant, Personal Message sent to you.
Hi guys.

KiwiAnt will be able to see your PM via the email address they registered with.

Other way is to send a BE email. GO to the profile and use that option.

KiwiAnt. You may think to contact chc4me direct via a business email.

However, I do hope you stick around this little NZ forum and join in.
Old Mar 14th 2014, 5:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

We're just looking at transfer of UK pensions to NZ. However the hubby is very reluctant to do anything with his (MPS) Mineworkers Pension. Any advise or thoughts on this would be appreciated.
Old Mar 14th 2014, 6:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi Boopy,
Transferring pension savings is not always the right action, sometimes the retirement benefits are very valuable and are well worth continuing with those benefits. On the other hand, there are advantages of making a transfer to a NZ scheme. I always suggest finding out the advantages and disadvantages or any action (or inaction) so that you make an informed decision.
Old Mar 16th 2014, 12:02 am
Just Joined

manni72 is an unknown quantity at this point

Your posts are really informative chc4me thank you for taking the time to post. I'd be really grateful if you can help me understand what's what from the contradictory advice I've been given from two advisors, one in UK other in NZ

I have a UK final salary teacher pension which I can draw down from age 55 as lump sum and annuity. I'm 42 and I've been living in NZ for one year.

My UK pension advisor says I should leave this pension in the UK unless I am terminally ill, in which case under the policy guidelines I could withdraw it then. My NZ advisor has told me to transfer it to NZ ASAP into QROPS and absolutely before March this year. It was from reading your posts that I realised I had up to 4 years to decide (if I read correctly?) and that I didn't have to meet the March 2014 deadline.

I'm a higher tax payer in whichever country I live - NZ or UK if that's relevant? My UK pension remains open for top up as a final salary pension for the next 4 years. So if I were to go back to UK to work in that time I would automatically contribute back into this pension pot (unlikely but not impossible) and I have a kiwi saver here. I really have no idea what to do - my gut instinct is to leave the index linked final salary pension in the UK because those benefits are worth more than tax savings later down the line?? I have a UK bank account won't the UK pension just be paid directly into that when I retire?
Very confused! Thank you for any advice
Old Mar 16th 2014, 4:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by manni72
Your posts are really informative chc4me thank you for taking the time to post.
Thank, you, very kind of you to say.
My UK pension advisor says I should leave this pension in the UK unless I am terminally ill, in which case under the policy guidelines I could withdraw it then. My NZ advisor has told me to transfer it to NZ ASAP into QROPS and absolutely before March this year. It was from reading your posts that I realised I had up to 4 years to decide (if I read correctly?) and that I didn't have to meet the March 2014 deadline.
Get a better NZ adviser. Sounds to me like your NZ adviser is 'scare mongering' and is either not aware of the facts or is out to make a quick buck. New migrants have 4 years from arrival in NZ to complete a transfer, the 31 March deadline is relevant for those that have been in NZ for longer periods.

When considering a pension transfer it's important to consider the rules and regulations in both countries and it is often difficult finding advisers who have an such knowledge.

I'm a higher tax payer in whichever country I live - NZ or UK if that's relevant?
Not particularly, but thanks for sharing!

My UK pension remains open for top up as a final salary pension for the next 4 years. So if I were to go back to UK to work in that time I would automatically contribute back into this pension pot (unlikely but not impossible) and I have a kiwi saver here. I really have no idea what to do - my gut instinct is to leave the index linked final salary pension in the UK because those benefits are worth more than tax savings later down the line??
You have hit on one of the main reasons why a Final Salary scheme is highly prized. A final salary scheme often includes index linking and a guaranteed income payable for the rest of life. On the other hand, the transfer figure will reflect the large liability that the pension company owes to you and many folk are surprised by the transfer figure. There are many factors to consider, tax is just one of them.

I have a UK bank account won't the UK pension just be paid directly into that when I retire?
If you decide to keep the pension fund in the UK as it is, then at retirement the pension income will be paid to your nominated bank account. That could be in the UK, yes. Any income, or lump sum payment would be taxable in New Zealand at your marginal rate, assuming you continued to live in NZ at that time. Many people think that because it is paid in the UK, into a UK bank account that it is taxed in the UK. This is incorrect. If you live in NZ, you pay tax on your worldwide income in NZ. We have an double tax agreement with the UK so that you only pay tax once, so no real issue.

Just one important point, transfers from Teachers Pensions, NHS, and most Govt agencies can take 3 to 6 months. If you do decide to make a transfer before the end of your 4 year exemption, allow enough time for completion.

Hope that helps. And welcome to NZ.

Last edited by chc4me; Mar 16th 2014 at 4:13 am.
Old Mar 16th 2014, 4:36 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

chc4me.

Have you a link that would better show your business email and website please?
Old Mar 17th 2014, 11:43 pm
Just Joined

dianneteacher is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

my husband and I both were teachers in the UK and moved here in Sept 2006. We have just recently heard about the new tax laws relating to overseas pensions and a Britannia representative scared us by telling us of his tax bill of $7000! We are unsure whether to start the transfer or leave both of our pensions in the uk. We have a kiwi saver here ad are not sure if our teachers pensions are worth much as we only worked for 12 years and I had 3 maternity leaves in that time. We feel that doing something now is a bit of a knee jerk reaction but would like any advice that is going. Thanks
Old Mar 18th 2014, 12:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dianneteacher
my husband and I both were teachers in the UK and moved here in Sept 2006. ...but would like any advice that is going. Thanks
Hi Dianneteacher, Thanks for posting. I'm surprised anyone can tell you that you have a tax bill without knowing what the value of the pension is.... something sounds fishy to me.
As with any financial matter, gather all of the information and then make an informed decision.
Best wishes.
Old Mar 18th 2014, 9:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boopy
We're just looking at transfer of UK pensions to NZ. However the hubby is very reluctant to do anything with his (MPS) Mineworkers Pension. Any advise or thoughts on this would be appreciated.
Thank you chc4me. I now have a better understanding from your posts to others here, so thank you again.
Basically, you would only pay tax on your pensions once either in UK or NZ, regardless of when or how many years down the line?? Is that right?
Old Mar 19th 2014, 4:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Boopy
Basically, you would only pay tax on your pensions once either in UK or NZ, regardless of when or how many years down the line?? Is that right?
If you live in NZ, and therefore you are a NZ tax Resident, you pay tax in New Zealand.

If you remain living in NZ and your husband keeps his fund in the UK, then he retires and receives benefits from his pension fund, tax will be payable in NZ on each amount for as long as those payments continue.

If your husband transfers his pension to NZ, a one time tax will be payable on the amount transferred but when it comes time to receive benefits from the NZ Pension fund, then no further tax is payable.

You either pay tax in the future on all payments made out of the pension OR you pay a one time tax on the transfer of the pension to a NZ scheme. As previously stated, tax is only one reason. There are advantages and disadvantages.

Hope that helps.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.