Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Nz survey -Kiwis say life is good.. do you agree?

Nz survey -Kiwis say life is good.. do you agree?

Old Apr 6th 2009, 4:40 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nz survey -Kiwis say life is good.. do you agree?

Originally Posted by MrCFD
Fair enough about expectations. Although this thread becomes moot then as everyone has chosen to live here and are fools if they are not happy!

I realise "history" can be subjective, but I'm sure that most here would agree that when an historic place is a 2 year old plaque describing an 80 year old event, that doesn't quite illustrate a rich history! Maybe I should say a "visible" history instead?
Not, but for example if you take the region as a whole and look at things such as Polynesian navigation, the journeys of Captain Cook, Maori history and wars, Early colonialists, the Bounty, convict ships etc then there is a large amount of interesting history - and the bonus is that as most of us are of European origin we have also got all that history we can 'claim; as well even though it isn't right in front of us.

Or is history to many people just a superficial thing and having a castle down the road more important than the history behind it (which you can enjoy anywhere on the world)
Old Apr 6th 2009, 4:43 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

I live in Rodney District. Fastest growing area in NZ I believe. I live at Gulf Harbour, Whangaparaoa & it's a great place to live. Cinema, shops,gyms etc at Whangaparaoa. Manly has a great Indian & Thai & a deli. Shakespeare Regional Park on the doorstep plus a dozen other beaches close by. Tiritiri Matangi nature reserve 10mins by ferry, Auckland CBD 50mins by ferry. Orewa is not far away, with another great beach, shops, & a theatre. Les Miserables being put on in June/July - should be good. Silverdale also not so far away go-karting, Snow Planet & the Luge.

Frankly, there's so much to do round here, I haven't got enough hours in my day
Old Apr 6th 2009, 4:46 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sparkie down under
I'm with MrCFD on the history bit. The one thing NZ doesn't really have is a l-o-n-g history, rich in players and places. Sorry kiwi's new and old but you ain't.

We live in an historic dwelling, (want to buy it)? It has a date plaque on the outside, 1902!!!

Our old house in Wales was as best as we could discover, 1780. Now which would you say is historic?
The one with the better story

Sorry but you have proven my point - history to many is just boasting about something old.
Old Apr 6th 2009, 4:49 am
Citizenships collector...

urbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Stephen Jones
A survey taken recently suggests people find life in NZ on the whole ok...

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10565414

I would be interested in YOUR views on this matter.

*Steve*
Opinions will differ on that one, however for me the answer is yes. I have a far better quality of life here than I had in the UK and France.

Jen
Old Apr 6th 2009, 5:30 am
Who loves you, baby?

sparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sr71
The one with the better story

Sorry but you have proven my point - history to many is just boasting about something old.
sr71, I am sorry if you thought a statement of fact was a boast. It wasn't.

I took the point MrCFD to be making was that in Europe, Asia or even the America's there is more history to be found than in NZ.

My understanding of 'History' is a continuous, typically chronological, record of important or public events. My old home had such a record and as best as we could research it went back some 250 years. Whereas the place in which I now live has a history of just over 100 years. To me that makes my old home more historic.

I come from an area steeped in history. History that goes back millennia. I was surrounded each and every day by places and objects that linked back to ages long, long gone. That isn't a boast, it's fact.

NZ does not have that luxury. But I did not intend to demean NZ's relative young history because of it's youth. That isn't the fault of the land of NZ. It is, once again, merely a fact.
Old Apr 6th 2009, 6:02 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wooly_Cow
by the way - where is Rodney???? - It's never on the weather reports
Rodney is the nice bit between Auckland and Northland. It starts just north of Albany and includes the Hibiscus Coast, Warkworth, Matakana, Wellsford etc. I half expected not to like the Auckland region when I moved back to NZ, having been brought up in Canterbury, but we love living in Orewa and I struggle to think of somewhere - in NZ or elsewhere - where I would rather live. This region has a climate and coastline that make it perfect for families who like beaches and boating, and is only 30 min off-peak to Auckland for the odd day out to the zoo etc. Also, Whangarei, Bay of Islands etc are very reachable for holidays and weekends.
Not somewhere if you're into big cities, nightclubs etc though. I think if you like cities, Wellington is the place to be in NZ.
Old Apr 6th 2009, 6:10 am
Cow on the Beach

Wooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapsed kiwi
Rodney is the nice bit between Auckland and Northland. It starts just north of Albany and includes the Hibiscus Coast, Warkworth, Matakana, Wellsford etc. I half expected not to like the Auckland region when I moved back to NZ, having been brought up in Canterbury, but we love living in Orewa and I struggle to think of somewhere - in NZ or elsewhere - where I would rather live. This region has a climate and coastline that make it perfect for families who like beaches and boating, and is only 30 min off-peak to Auckland for the odd day out to the zoo etc. Also, Whangarei, Bay of Islands etc are very reachable for holidays and weekends.
Not somewhere if you're into big cities, nightclubs etc though. I think if you like cities, Wellington is the place to be in NZ.
Sounds really nice.....got to get there sometime
Old Apr 6th 2009, 9:19 am
Sweeeeet!

Littletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond repute

Kiwis' are idiots. They'd say whatever you like given five bucks and a Lion Red.

My answer to the author's thread question, which I'm entitled to answer so don't argue with me, I can't be arsed is......No.

Next question....
Old Apr 6th 2009, 9:34 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Littletoe
Kiwis' are idiots. They'd say whatever you like given five bucks and a Lion Red.

My answer to the author's thread question, which I'm entitled to answer so don't argue with me, I can't be arsed is......No.

Next question....
What rubbish

It needs to be Speights to win me over
Old Apr 6th 2009, 9:41 am
Sweeeeet!

Littletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond repute

What rubbish

Cheap date! what about Monteiths?? Have you LIVED???
Old Apr 6th 2009, 9:46 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

What rubbish

What?

Speights PISS. (summit)
Old Apr 6th 2009, 1:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

julesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Wooly_Cow
by the way - where is Rodney???? - It's never on the weather reports
Out with Dell-Boy, wheeling and dealing
Old Apr 7th 2009, 11:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Old Apr 7th 2009, 7:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Perry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond repute

Next question....

Is Lion Red the beer that you see the characters in the movie "Once were warriors" drinking constantly?
Old Apr 7th 2009, 8:36 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Kiwis' are idiots.
That's no way to talk about your husband ...

Tauranga came out as having the most content residents with 91% rating their overall quality of life as extremely good or good. And I'd have to agree with them!

Surprisingly though it also had the highest %age return of people feeling unsafe after dark in the city centre. But then I don't go out in the city centre after dark so I wouldn't know!

For us, 2 years tomorrow, life is good, very good!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.