Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

NZ Super increasing to 20 years residency?

NZ Super increasing to 20 years residency?

Old Oct 22nd 2018, 9:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

chc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond repute
Default NZ Super increasing to 20 years residency?

An MP's bill drawn from the Parliamentary ballot proposes to increase the minimum residency for new migrants from 10 years to 20 years. Stuff article here and the Members Bill at this link.

The good news for expats from the UK is that the Bill does not change the Social Security reciprocal agreement between NZ and the UK. In a nutshell, the agreement means that UK expats are able to meet the residency test by virtue of time in the UK. In other words, if you have lived in the UK for the last 10 years and move to NZ, then you will qualify for a NZ Superannuation payment on reaching 65.

From the Work and Income website:
Former United Kingdom residents that now reside in New Zealand may be able to use their residence in the United Kingdom and/or their contributions to the United Kingdom National Insurance Scheme to meet the residential requirements for benefits or pensions in New Zealand.

Here is a previous thread on UK State Pensions to NZ State Pensions that might be useful
Old Oct 26th 2018, 6:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

bearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NZ Super increasing to 20 years residency?

I think this is fair enough. I'd have thought it reasonable to have to meet a 20 year rule even if the reciprocal agreement didn't apply. Would think that a person receiving a pension in a country had contributed to that countries taxes by living there for about that length of time to qualify?