Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

NZ State Pension available to ALL UK expats aged 65+

NZ State Pension available to ALL UK expats aged 65+

Old Nov 23rd 2012, 9:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NZ State Pension available to ALL UK expats aged 65+

Originally Posted by chc4me

And from the WINZ manual, this is a MUST read: http://www.workandincome.govt.nz/man...kingdom-05.htm

Happy retirement!
Well , it might be if the link worked!
Ive paid 25 years into UK state pension and been in NZ 10 years.
Id be interested to know my options
Old Nov 24th 2012, 4:21 am
BE Enthusiast

chc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond repute

As is the case with websites, things change or move.
Try this link for FAQs

And this link for a general overview of the NZ system.

Hope that helps
Old Nov 24th 2012, 10:22 pm
Just Joined

Philnz is an unknown quantity at this point

HELP NEEDED PLEASE. Urgent as have only a few days left visiting New Zealand to sort this out and depart on November 29, 2012.

I got onto this forum from a Google search and it seems to be very close to some information I am searching for although it is not as regards the New Zealand state pension but the UK state pension.

You see I was born in the UK and am a UK citizen and worked in the UK for 20 years. I then emigrated to New Zealand and worked for a further 28 years there and I now wish to go and live overseas. According to the UK pension folk I do qualify for a part UK pension

However it would be advantageous for me to have a full UK pension as I am going to live in a country which has a better exchange rate with the pound than it does the New Zealand dollar.

So my question is: – Can I allocate the years spent working in New Zealand towards my UK pension entitlement years, thereby getting me the full UK pension. The second part of the question is: – do I need to be resident in the UK when I apply, or can I apply from overseas?

Really I have spent days searching for this information and cannot find it anywhere as the UK pension site is very basic to say the least – – does anyone have any ideas or a link as to where I can find this information??

Any help would be Very much appreciated appreciated.

Posted again in case first one was missed as on the last page................does anyone have any info/leads/etc on this subject?

Thanks, Philnz
Old Nov 25th 2012, 4:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Philnz
HELP NEEDED PLEASE. Urgent as have only a few days left visiting New Zealand to sort this out and depart on November 29, 2012.

I got onto this forum from a Google search and it seems to be very close to some information I am searching for although it is not as regards the New Zealand state pension but the UK state pension.

You see I was born in the UK and am a UK citizen and worked in the UK for 20 years. I then emigrated to New Zealand and worked for a further 28 years there and I now wish to go and live overseas. According to the UK pension folk I do qualify for a part UK pension

However it would be advantageous for me to have a full UK pension as I am going to live in a country which has a better exchange rate with the pound than it does the New Zealand dollar.

So my question is: – Can I allocate the years spent working in New Zealand towards my UK pension entitlement years, thereby getting me the full UK pension. The second part of the question is: – do I need to be resident in the UK when I apply, or can I apply from overseas?

Really I have spent days searching for this information and cannot find it anywhere as the UK pension site is very basic to say the least – – does anyone have any ideas or a link as to where I can find this information??

Any help would be Very much appreciated appreciated.

Posted again in case first one was missed as on the last page................does anyone have any info/leads/etc on this subject?

Thanks, Philnz
I cant say Im an expert, but my understanding is that getting a UK pension depends on the number of years you have 'paid in' (your NI contributions). You probably have the opportunity to pay up past contributions that have been missed, whether this is in your interest - who knows,
Old Nov 25th 2012, 7:28 am
BE Enthusiast

chc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond repute

Your question is more difficult than the standard run of the mill. I don't have the answer, you will need to contact the authorities in each of the countries including the UK, NZ and the country where you plan to live.

You should also be aware that the UK may freeze the amount, rather than link it to inflation. This will depend on which country you are moving to.

For the UK, try this link: https://www.gov.uk/state-pension-if-...d/how-to-claim

I also found this which explains the reciprocal agreement and appears to be the best in terms of answers to your question. This page also provides contact details for the UK with which to make further enquiries.
http://www.workandincome.govt.nz/man...kingdom-33.htm

Good luck.
Old Nov 25th 2012, 9:32 am
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

We have both had letters stating amounts required to top-up for full UK pension & dates these payments were required by if we did not intend returning to the UK before retirement.
Old Nov 25th 2012, 11:49 am
Just Joined

awolkiwi is an unknown quantity at this point

At the moment, the exchange rate is such that it seems the NZ superannuation option will give more money. But will it stay that way? In the past, there were $NZ3 to 1 pound. If the rates go back to anything like that, then the UK pension will be the better option again..

Also, if you leave NZ for more than 3 months ( eg: decide to go somewhere warmer for the winter half of the year) then the super payments stop, unlike the UK payments which continue no matter where you are.
Old Nov 26th 2012, 4:16 am
Just Joined

Great, thank you for the links, the WINZ one had the section I'd been searching for!!!!

Also thank you to all of the other respondents, all comments gratefully rec'd and any others still welcome.

Meeting with Work and Income Tuesday 27th Nov as they approved my pension last week and then put a hold on it because of "irregularities". I tried to get some clarification around a couple of things and quoted them from their own website and the lady then informed me that it was no point in me quoting her from their website because "they were only words". Yes, the written word means nothing to these people because they interpret it how they want, and this from the Winz people themselves. Amazing isn't it.

I also asked if they knew anything about having my years worked in New Zealand credited towards the years I worked in the UK and they said no.

Looking forward to tomorrow to get something sorted out and I will let you know the outcome. Once again, thank you very much.

Phil

Originally Posted by chc4me
Your question is more difficult than the standard run of the mill. I don't have the answer, you will need to contact the authorities in each of the countries including the UK, NZ and the country where you plan to live.

You should also be aware that the UK may freeze the amount, rather than link it to inflation. This will depend on which country you are moving to.

For the UK, try this link: https://www.gov.uk/state-pension-if-...d/how-to-claim

I also found this which explains the reciprocal agreement and appears to be the best in terms of answers to your question. This page also provides contact details for the UK with which to make further enquiries.
http://www.workandincome.govt.nz/man...kingdom-33.htm

Good luck.
Old Nov 30th 2012, 12:07 am
Just Joined

As promised, an e-mail to update you on what has eventually happened.

Firstly, the reason my pension was stopped for the "irregularities" was because of the amount of times I have been coming in and out of New Zealand over the years, and more so just recently and this caused some suspicion that I was not a resident.

However I was able to produce letters from the three New Zealand companies I worked for during this time which showed that the absences out of the country were in fact whilst I was still employed in a New Zealand company, which counts as time spent in New Zealand for the pension (and of course I am a NZ citizen).

So hopefully that is solved.

The other perplexing aspect was about what happens to the small UK pension I am due and I did get a couple of different answers from the pension folk however I was able to find a reference to it in a booklet from work and income entitled "Retired and Going Overseas" and on page 20 at the very top left hand side it says, "if you are going to any other country to live or you intend to travel through one or more countries, any overseas pension you receive will generally not be taken into account. This is because your payments are calculated according to the amount of time you lived in New Zealand".

So in effect this means that should I decide to finally leave New Zealand and get my New Zealand pension paid overseas (portability), although it will be a reduced amount as I have only lived in New Zealand for 28 years, I can still get the small UK pension without it being deducted from the New Zealand one, which I was originally told it would be!!

Summary, I will be very happy if this finally comes to fruition as it will mean I will be able to take advantage of the exchange rates from both the UK and New Zealand and it will provide me with a good base which to live on overseas.

Once again thank you for your help, and if I can assist anyone in any way with a similar problem, then don't hesitate to ask as I feel I pretty well know the system inside out what with all of the research I have done!!!

Kind regards, Philnz
Old Dec 11th 2012, 3:14 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

We've had a couple of pension questions today so I'll be give this a bump so that it can be seen for a day or two.

Link to this thread posted in the other two threads.