Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

NZ Social Security Benefits

NZ Social Security Benefits

Old Apr 8th 2008, 11:40 am
Forum Regular

weebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud of
Default NZ Social Security Benefits

Here's a scenario for you:

British Mum and Kiwi Dad move to NZ with 2 Kiwi kids (dual citizenship).

Mum and Dad divorce not long after (the move wasn't the solution after all)

Does mum get any social security benefits? Or is UK mum kidding herself on that 1/ All governments are as generous as UK government (WTC, council tax benefits) and 2/ she'd not be entitled to anything anyway as she's a Brit?

And 3/ if she's not entitled to anything can ex (or indeed Kiwi grandparents) still stop British mum taking (now convieniently) British kids back to UK?

Please advise
Old Apr 8th 2008, 5:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

brussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: NZ Social Security Benefits

I will try to be very nice and neutral here as i have been on the receiving end of the reverse of your situation.

You are not entitled to any benefits, although you will receive "emergency situation" funds. You will not have a very pleasant life on such an income, but you will have enough to live on.
Your husband could stop you taking the kids out of the country if he wished, by taking out a court order (the nationality is irrelevant), then you will have to have a court battle, for which you would get free legal aid, unless you worked in above average paid job. The NZ lawyers will ask your kids about their wishes and depending on what they say two extremes are possible, 1. you will be able to take them back to UK eventually or 2. the court may give half custody to your ex and you will have to stay. This will take quite a few months, maybe extending to years if "psychological" reports are involved. Alternatively you could come to a mutual agreement outside the law without a court battle, but depending on how much he loves the kids, would involve staying in NZ.

In reality NZ courts still have the old "tender years" philosophy, enabling women to win and do what they want with the kids. Your solicitor will tell you to do some dirty tricks which will indefensible by the father. NZ family law is 20 years behind the rest of the world, very feminist and family destructive.

If you tried just taking the kids out of the country, it would be very difficult for your ex to get the kids back, but this would have to be done very soon. This could also be the start of possible further problems.
You can get free legal advice in many places, local women's groups.

There , i did not rant (much)!

Perhaps you should try to be less bossy and i should be less sprouty !

Last edited by brussels_sprout; Apr 8th 2008 at 6:08 pm.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 8:26 am
Forum Regular

weebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud of

Thanks for that. lol - and yes less bossy would be a good start!

I'm aware of the crap you went through as I had read your thread. I hope things are improving for you - I have altenative word(s) for your "chic" ex!

I also know what my Kiwi ma- and pa-in-law are like (they are trying to get custody of one grandson - even though they think their son's ex is a good mother! - they're not exactly the most loving /forgiving family)

I'm hoping that the last few weeks are a result of the stress of trying to sell our house for the last 8 months and I was just exploring my opportunities if it all goes pear shaped. The reason I didn't move to NZ years ago is the crap the inlaws have dealt out and the knowledge that I can't remove the kids, even if OH agreed I could go, due to the grandparent rights over there then they could step in and stop me.

Do I take the risk? Is life too short not to? Or do fools rush in?
Old Apr 9th 2008, 8:51 am
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by weebossyboots

I'm aware of the crap you went through as I had read your thread. I hope things are improving for you - I have altenative word(s) for your "chic" ex!

I also know what my Kiwi ma- and pa-in-law are like (they are trying to get custody of one grandson - even though they think their son's ex is a good mother! - they're not exactly the most loving /forgiving family)

I'm hoping that the last few weeks are a result of the stress of trying to sell our house for the last 8 months and I was just exploring my opportunities if it all goes pear shaped. The reason I didn't move to NZ years ago is the crap the inlaws have dealt out and the knowledge that I can't remove the kids, even if OH agreed I could go, due to the grandparent rights over there then they could step in and stop me.

I would think long and hard about your impending move,you thin k its stressful in Uk,its worse when you get here,IMHO,I consider my marriage to be very strong,but we had a few close shaves in the first few months of being here...thankfully things settled down..but the small things are magnified a hundred times over when you are in a different country..IMHO moving to Nz would not mend a problem ,just escelate it...but good luck with your plans...jacky
Old Apr 9th 2008, 8:53 am
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by brussels_sprout
I will try to be very nice and neutral here as i have been on the receiving end of the reverse of your situation.

You are not entitled to any benefits, although you will receive "emergency situation" funds. You will not have a very pleasant life on such an income, but you will have enough to live on.
Your husband could stop you taking the kids out of the country if he wished, by taking out a court order (the nationality is irrelevant), then you will have to have a court battle, for which you would get free legal aid, unless you worked in above average paid job. The NZ lawyers will ask your kids about their wishes and depending on what they say two extremes are possible, 1. you will be able to take them back to UK eventually or 2. the court may give half custody to your ex and you will have to stay. This will take quite a few months, maybe extending to years if "psychological" reports are involved. Alternatively you could come to a mutual agreement outside the law without a court battle, but depending on how much he loves the kids, would involve staying in NZ.

In reality NZ courts still have the old "tender years" philosophy, enabling women to win and do what they want with the kids. Your solicitor will tell you to do some dirty tricks which will indefensible by the father. NZ family law is 20 years behind the rest of the world, very feminist and family destructive.

If you tried just taking the kids out of the country, it would be very difficult for your ex to get the kids back, but this would have to be done very soon. This could also be the start of possible further problems.
You can get free legal advice in many places, local women's groups.

There , i did not rant (much)!

Perhaps you should try to be less bossy and i should be less sprouty !
well done Brussel Sproutvery diplomatic...time must be working its magic on you....jacky
Old Apr 9th 2008, 11:36 am
BE Enthusiast

brussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by weebossyboots

Isn't it dangerous, he may read this ? You don't want to give your future plans away either. Mmm going into in-laws lair may be a little dangerous, doncha think ? Only you know the answer, but the bottom line is that you will get enough to live on if that situation arose.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 11:59 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by brussels_sprout
Isn't it dangerous, he may read this ? You don't want to give your future plans away either. Mmm going into in-laws lair may be a little dangerous, doncha think ? Only you know the answer, but the bottom line is that you will get enough to live on if that situation arose.
Yes, it's always been a risk going into the lion's den!! OH knows my fears and his reassurances have persuaded me to make the leap of faith. (He won't read this as he's not British, nor an expat, and is too busy anyway but even if he did he knows how I feel).

Just, you never know what's around the corner.

Thanks for the info though.