Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

NZ Shut for Christmas Hols? Job Search Woes

NZ Shut for Christmas Hols? Job Search Woes

Old Jan 5th 2007, 5:39 am
Banned

Dirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to all
Default Re: NZ Shut for Christmas Hols? Job Search Woes

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
It wouldn't take much to be down that much if you consider all the costs of a move here and back, shipping two ways, emigration fees, airfares, pet transfers, estate agents fees, and the loss on earnings whilst between jobs and counter in the lower rates of pay here. Then you get into the additional costs of establishing yourself here, which to some may not seem a big deal, but money slips through your hands like water in those first few months, replacing things you have given away and sold etc.

The true costs must be absolutely phenomenal if you added up every single penny and cent spent getting here and then doing it all over again to go back. Add a bit of insult to the injuries and take a hit on the exchange rate a couple of times over and yes you sure can lose a lot of money very quickly.

When everything is going swimmingly, we can all say it is not about the money and how we're doing this to improve our lives etc, but if you don't find your dream here and things turn sour, I can fully understand how the hard facts of costs versus 'life experience' must sting like hell.

Absolutely. It's easy to give out some hippy trippy tree hugging bullshit about how "money isn't everything", and "it's the experience" that counts. That's true up to a point. And that point is reached very very quickly when you notice a heamorhage of funds you worked your arse off to get dissapear down the toilet.
Old Jan 5th 2007, 6:50 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dirk1971
All I care about is NZ immigration. The number of people from the UK who went back after x amount of time. doubt many accurate figures are available. I know five people who have left.
Firstly, the figures would be available from the dept of immigration or nz govt statistics dept.

Secondly, the results would be irrelevant unless you make a comparison of other countries UK citizens migrate to. All you would be doing is noting the colour, size, shape etc of a lone bag of apples, therefore you couldn't possibly make any meaningful statement.

Finally, you could know 100 people who moved back, again means nothing, aside from the fact you know/met 100 others who for a variety of reasons decided they wanted to return to their homeland.
Old Jan 5th 2007, 6:59 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Burt Badger
What many people don't realise is that Kywy's are the best in the world......AT EVERYTHING!
Well then you'd love OZ, cause over here the "everything and everyone aussie is best" propaganda is drilled into the brain everytime you listen, read, or view the media here. It's considered 'unaustralian' (even by govt here) to make any criticism of the palce or it's people.
Old Jan 5th 2007, 7:14 am
Account Closed

AnnieNell is an unknown quantity at this point

Absolutely. It's easy to give out some hippy trippy tree hugging bullshit about how "money isn't everything", and "it's the experience" that counts. That's true up to a point. And that point is reached very very quickly when you notice a heamorhage of funds you worked your arse off to get dissapear down the toilet.
Believe me mate I'm no hippy or a tree hugger , infact it's so far off the mark it made me LOL . I see the hard facts of life in my job everyday. We have lost shed loads of money on emigrating & on IVF but no-one made us do either. Yes, I have times when I think what I could have done with that money but I have accepted it & moved on, because I know "it isn't everything". We worked hard for that money too.
I'm sorry that things have not worked out for you in NZ & wish you luck in your next venture. Hope it works out great for you Dirk
Old Jan 5th 2007, 7:32 am
Forum Regular

Desire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to behold

I quite agree, i've just popped into your forum (based here in OZ) because our life experience here seems very similar.
Old Jan 5th 2007, 7:38 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AnnieNell
Believe me mate I'm no hippy or a tree hugger , infact it's so far off the mark it made me LOL . I see the hard facts of life in my job everyday. We have lost shed loads of money on emigrating & on IVF but no-one made us do either. Yes, I have times when I think what I could have done with that money but I have accepted it & moved on, because I know "it isn't everything". We worked hard for that money too.
I'm sorry that things have not worked out for you in NZ & wish you luck in your next venture. Hope it works out great for you Dirk
I agree with you AnnieNell. There's a saying "there's no pocket in the last shirt" and I've always taken comfort from it Cos if there was, there wouldn't be much in it I think the worst thing for a person's spirit is to regret material things lost. When we're on our death beds it won't be 'things' we'll be thinking of - rather the people we've loved and who've loved us and so I try not to let 'stuff' bother me. When I was a child and 'grown ups' asked what I was going to be when I grew up my Mum used to say "she only wants to be happy" Result!
Old Jan 5th 2007, 9:38 am
NZ ways is best ways :0)

Wiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond repute

Blimey, turn your back for a minute and look what goes on

Just to add my 2p, I agree that constructive criticism is a good thing, and means that new arrivals in NZ - such as ourselves - won't expect too much and so should avoid the big disappointment that maybe others have suffered.

We are by no means rich in the UK, and money does mean alot to us, so making this decision needed to be balanced and I felt this forum helped with that.

A change of mind-set is our main requirement, and this move should help that along nicely. Billions of $$$$'s will also help I'm sure, but until then we'll just keep on keeping on as there's a hell of a lot more to being happy than loads'a'money, as life here in the UK has shown us.

Wiz
Old Jan 5th 2007, 11:41 am
Jedi Princess

Originally Posted by Wiz'n'Ton
Blimey, turn your back for a minute and look what goes on

Just to add my 2p, I agree that constructive criticism is a good thing, and means that new arrivals in NZ - such as ourselves - won't expect too much and so should avoid the big disappointment that maybe others have suffered.

We are by no means rich in the UK, and money does mean alot to us, so making this decision needed to be balanced and I felt this forum helped with that.

A change of mind-set is our main requirement, and this move should help that along nicely. Billions of $$$$'s will also help I'm sure, but until then we'll just keep on keeping on as there's a hell of a lot more to being happy than loads'a'money, as life here in the UK has shown us.

Wiz

Wiz, a very balanced and thought out reply. Things will be different in NZ but not necessarily worse. Only you can finally decide if it's what you want/hoped it would be. But you at least have an open attitude and that goes a long way.

Come out, give it a go, but keep your options open is best advice I can offer mate. Best of luck
Old Jan 5th 2007, 2:27 pm
Forum Regular

Burt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud of

Wiz - Sadly the beautiful countryside and beaches wear a bit thin when you have no money.......even in NZ LOL

Be realistic. Look at the quality of life you have at present and ask yourself what it is you are actually looking for, for you and your family?

We found NZ expensive and that was earning very good money (all off shore), no mortgage and no loans of any sort.

Just make sure that you do your research and never be afraid to admit that you may have made a mistake.

Burt
Old Jan 5th 2007, 2:55 pm

dreamfish is an unknown quantity at this point

Wiz - Sadly the beautiful countryside and beaches wear a bit thin when you have no money.......even in NZ LOL

Be realistic. Look at the quality of life you have at present and ask yourself what it is you are actually looking for, for you and your family?

We found NZ expensive and that was earning very good money (all off shore), no mortgage and no loans of any sort.

Just make sure that you do your research and never be afraid to admit that you may have made a mistake.

Burt
maybe you have expensive tastes Burt?
i struggle to see how someone who has no debts and an excellent income can not afford to live.
what is your idea of standard of living?

i am a simple soul - i admire nature, the scenery and like to walk and fish. to be able to do that as often as i like gives me the highest standard of living going.
Old Jan 5th 2007, 3:09 pm
Forum Regular

Burt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud of

Dream - Well yes....I do like my luxuries LOL

There are 6 of us in our family so anywhere is expensive for us, but NZ was just terrible for both cost and quality.

Basically if you want anything that is either going to last or is going to be edible you have to pay through the nose for it. In the winter even the price of electricity goes up.

We had several English, American, German, South African and Canadian friends who, with both husband and wife working, found it hard to make ends meet.

Some Kywy's also struggle, but that is because they have lived overseas.

It all comes down to acceptable standards and quality, and this is why thoses Kywy's who know no better just put up with the very low standards and accuse everyone else of constant whinging.

Burt
Old Jan 5th 2007, 3:12 pm
NZ ways is best ways :0)

Wiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond repute

Blimey Burt, you much have a pretty high standard of living then, and in that case I can sort of understand your viewpoint and why earning NZ$'s didn't meet your needs. Completely different for us, as we're standing still in the UK trying to fund a mortgage, and that's keeping us busy enough that we don't get time to do much else

[QUOTE=Burt Badger;4251995]
Just make sure that you do your research and never be afraid to admit that you may have made a mistake. [QUOTE]

I feel we are being pretty realistic, and if all goes tits uppermost, I've never been afraid to say so - or be told so by my wife

Wiz
Old Jan 6th 2007, 1:49 pm
Forum Regular

Wiz - well I can only suggest that you give it a try, and wish you the best of luck!

Burt
Old Jan 11th 2007, 6:16 am
Banned

Dirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by kiwi_child
Firstly, the figures would be available from the dept of immigration or nz govt statistics dept.

Secondly, the results would be irrelevant unless you make a comparison of other countries UK citizens migrate to. All you would be doing is noting the colour, size, shape etc of a lone bag of apples, therefore you couldn't possibly make any meaningful statement.

Finally, you could know 100 people who moved back, again means nothing, aside from the fact you know/met 100 others who for a variety of reasons decided they wanted to return to their homeland.
Actually they are not, but feel free to investigate.

Why do you guys have such a problem with a figure which states the number of brits who came to NZ and the number who eventually moved back?

It sounds to me like you are afraid of the figures.

What do they proove? Well they show how many brits came to NZ and how many moved back! Doesn't get much simpler than that does it?

What is this whiney "its not fair" stuff? What is unfair about knowing these figures?
Old Jan 11th 2007, 8:46 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

I've tried to refind some statistics I saw about a year ago that showed 25% of all immigrants return to their country of origin within 3 years, and the proportion was lower for Brits and other Europeans. Unfortunately I have not been able to put my finger on it but will post if if I find it again. The 8 in 10 number is clearly wrong, in my view.

This study shows that most Brits are pleased with their move to NZ, and the main negatives are distance related.
http://news.emigratenz.org/page/15/

The naysayers are welcome to point out their own experiences and issues they have with NZ, but they are wrong if they imply there is some sort of conspiracy to entrap new migrants.

Choosing to migrate to a new country is subject to the normal caveat emptor of any other 'purchasing' decision. There are plentiful sources of information that allow immigrants to make objective choices about where to live.

If some posters do feel ripped off by NZ immigation, I welcome them to let us all know how they were tricked into making such a bad decision. That way we can learn from their experiences rather than the current more obvious view that they are "just bitter and twisted because their dream turned to dust."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.