British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   NZ Shut for Christmas Hols? Job Search Woes (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/nz-shut-christmas-hols-job-search-woes-416833/)

Wiz'n'Ton Jan 4th 2007 11:16 am

NZ Shut for Christmas Hols? Job Search Woes

Hi all. Just a quickie...

I've e-mailed loads of recruitment-to-recruitment companies (it's what I do here in the UK), posted CV on Seek, directly applied to advertised jobs etc, and have had a total of ZERO response over the past 2 weeks.

Is NZ business off till the 8th of Jan? :confused:

Or do I smell, and they can tell that from half a world away? :D

Or am I unemployable and should I be getting my McDonalds application form ready? :(

Wiz

P2L Jan 4th 2007 12:11 pm

Re: NZ Shut for Christmas Hols? Job Search Woes

NOT back till Monday at the earliest I'm afraid :(

Kids are on summers hols in NZ til beginning of Feb so lots of people taking annual leave on top of Xmas!!! (lucky buggers):eek:

Wiz'n'Ton Jan 4th 2007 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by kev&sarah (Post 4248476)
NOT back till Monday at the earliest I'm afraid :(

Kids are on summers hols in NZ til beginning of Feb so lots of people taking annual leave on top of Xmas!!! (lucky buggers):eek:

Phew!

That's all I wanted to know, so thanks for that. Thought I'd upset the Big Kiwi In The Sky, and he'd spread the word around ;)

Ah well, let's see what offers come flooding in next week!

Cheer for that, have some karma :)

Wiz

dreamfish Jan 4th 2007 2:23 pm

I have been told not to even try till after 15th January. Thats when most people have returned from their holidays!

Get Skype installed on your PC - free download. Throw it £10 (can do via paypal) and you can call NZ for Euro0.017 per minute. Soooooooooooooo much cheaper than telephone. Plus, you get to speak to real people which is good.

I gave up on emails after a while - so impersonal. I like to be sure someone is listening!!

Burt Badger Jan 4th 2007 3:50 pm

Don't expect too much when the Xmas / New Year break is over. After all you are trying to take Kywy's jobs.

What many people don't realise is that Kywy's are the best in the world......AT EVERYTHING!

It is this attitude that has resulted in NZ being a third world country in the
21st Century.

Burt ;)

Wiz'n'Ton Jan 4th 2007 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by Burt Badger (Post 4248884)
Don't expect too much when the Xmas / New Year break is over. After all you are trying to take Kywy's jobs.

What many people don't realise is that Kywy's are the best in the world......AT EVERYTHING!

It is this attitude that has resulted in NZ being a third world country in the
21st Century.

Burt ;)

Blimey Burt, that's 2 negative posts is as many minutes. Didn't you bring any positives out of your experience? Appreciate the response tho'.

Wiz

Wiz'n'Ton Jan 4th 2007 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by dreamfish (Post 4248686)
I have been told not to even try till after 15th January. Thats when most people have returned from their holidays!

Sounds like the UK over our summer break then. We're not out 'till the 18th, so maybe things'll've started moving on the job front.

Get Skype installed on your PC - free download. Throw it £10 (can do via paypal) and you can call NZ for Euro0.017 per minute. Soooooooooooooo much cheaper than telephone. Plus, you get to speak to real people which is good.

So, what is this Skype thing? And do all employers have it in NZ?

I gave up on emails after a while - so impersonal. I like to be sure someone is listening!!

Agree with you there, and once out in CC I'll be doorstepping like you wouldn't believe, but until then at least e-mail gets the ball rolling.

Cheers,

Wiz

andy&georgina Jan 4th 2007 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by Wiz'n'Ton (Post 4248920)
Sounds like the UK over our summer break then. We're not out 'till the 18th, so maybe things'll've started moving on the job front.

So, what is this Skype thing? And do all employers have it in NZ?

Agree with you there, and once out in CC I'll be doorstepping like you wouldn't believe, but until then at least e-mail gets the ball rolling.

Cheers,

Wiz

Hi Wiz

Here is the link to Skype www.skype.com

Georgina :)

dreamfish Jan 4th 2007 4:22 pm

skype is software you install on your pc to enable you to make telephone calls over your internet connection. i have installed skype on all the parents computers - so when we get out to NZ it will cost us nothing to speak to each other. well ok, you need a working internet connection, but if ur paying that anyway its cheaper to call using skype than it is via a regular telephone provider. Think BT charge 20p a minute.
we have had half hour conversations with recruitment agencies and our £10 has barely been used.

Burt Badger Jan 4th 2007 4:26 pm

Sorry mate.....just been left a little bitter after spending 2 years trying to get into the bloody country. Then living there for a further 2 years only to find out that we had moved everything we owned, along with 4 young kids and a 14 year old cat, to a country that was over rated, backwards and hated everything from outside of it.

Been back in the UK for 6 months now, and believe it or not have found the lifestyle we had been looking for that pushed us to emigrate.

Strange eh?

Burt ;)

dreamfish Jan 4th 2007 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by Burt Badger (Post 4248961)

Burt ;)

Can you change your name to BurtWink?
;)

AnnieNell Jan 4th 2007 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by dreamfish (Post 4248967)
Can you change your name to BurtWink?
;)

:D LOL :D ;)

Burt Badger Jan 4th 2007 4:36 pm

Very quick!.............You won't fit in in NZ at all! It would have taken months for a Kywy to have come up with that LOL

;) Burt ;)

Wiz'n'Ton Jan 4th 2007 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by Burt Badger (Post 4248961)
Sorry mate.....just been left a little bitter after spending 2 years trying to get into the bloody country. Then living there for a further 2 years only to find out that we had moved everything we owned, along with 4 young kids and a 14 year old cat, to a country that was over rated, backwards and hated everything from outside of it.

Been back in the UK for 6 months now, and believe it or not have found the lifestyle we had been looking for that pushed us to emigrate.

Strange eh?

Burt ;)

Ah well, at least it led to happiness for ya in the end, and gives a few stories to share down the pub ;)

Better to have tried it out and all that - though I imagine financially it's never better if you decide you don't like it. :(

Wiz

Burt Badger Jan 4th 2007 4:40 pm

We are down £85,000, which is something to bear in mind.

Scary figures if things don't work out eh?

Burt ;)