Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

'NZ seventh in environmental index,

'NZ seventh in environmental index,

Old Jan 29th 2008, 12:49 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute
Default 'NZ seventh in environmental index,

Australia 46th'

Overall New Zealand scored 88.9 on the Environmental Performance Index.

It achieved 100 in the policy areas of water and sanitation. The lowest scores were for pesticide regulation, marine protected areas, biodivesity and emissions.

Australia ranked 46 with an EPI score of 79. It had low scores for water stress, pesticide regulation, climate change and emissions.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/1/...ectid=10488475
Old Jan 29th 2008, 1:38 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 'NZ seventh in environmental index,

Interesting to see the Swiss at the top..........
So how do they make their money?
Feeding African babies milk powder and taking money from the Mafias and the Nazis......how environmentally responsible
Oh dear I might have offended someone
Old Jan 29th 2008, 2:37 am
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lardyl
Feeding African babies milk powder and taking money from the Mafias and the Nazis......how environmentally responsible

Surely you have never offended anyone?
Old Jan 29th 2008, 2:41 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RobClubley
/removes right royal pain the ass from job description/
Old Jan 29th 2008, 3:32 am

Lemon Bear is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lardyl
Well you ain't offended me I have a huge problem with Artificial Formula manufacturers, never mind when it comes to 3rd World countries. Positively evil.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 3:43 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

Out of curiosity..... how much of Fonterra's milk product finds its way into infant milk formula?
Old Jan 29th 2008, 3:49 am
you dewty owld maan!

Originally Posted by Nerine
Out of curiosity..... how much of Fonterra's milk product finds its way into infant milk formula?
wonder - may need to check the packet on the stuff that Air New Zealand pass out....."made from NZ and imported ingredients"? by any chance
of course formula has its place - well it did in our house before the littlies graduated onto Pams Standard milk
Old Jan 29th 2008, 3:50 am

Originally Posted by Nerine
I probably have some figures on this somewhere but not sure where! I'm turning into my mother " I've put it somewhere safe" Anyway I do know that it does find it's way in there having discussed this issue with the Breast Feeding Consultant at National Womens.
I developed a strong interest in this issue & wrote my dissertation on it many moons ago.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 4:00 am

That's interesting Lemon Bear, I'd love to hear more about that.

Infant forumula does have its place, but never as a substitute for breast milk where the mother is able and healthy enough. In third world countries it is just another vector for disease (contaminated formula/water)

It was very necessary for my first child but didn't form her major intake. My second only had follow-on formula, that was only in preference to pasteurised cows milk - which neither of them had until they were well over 2 years old. I'm happy about them not drinking much milk though now that they are much older, there are better ways to get calcium and vitamin D. Milk is meant for infant mammals until they are weaned onto solid foods.

Last edited by Nerine; Jan 29th 2008 at 4:04 am.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 4:34 am

I started my dissertation off from the feminist perspective ie. "The woman's right to choose" but the more I read & researched the topic, then the more my feelings changed on the matter & I moved to the baby's perspective. I had to re-write my whole introduction .

If you want an interesting read, then "The Politics of Breastfeeding" by Gabrielle Palmer is worth a look. She writes about the way breastfeeding is portrayed in the media, ie. it's acceptable to show it if the woman is black,starving & living in Africa :curse:.

Whilst I'm a strong advocate for breastfeeding, I accept that formula has it's place.
Old Feb 10th 2008, 10:32 am

Yes, it does have a place. I think that place is certainly being over exploited in some countries. The book you mentioned sounds interesting, I wonder if anyone has ever written one on the politics of the Dairy Industry.

Going back to the subject of this thread for a moment, IMO one of the reasons why NZ does so well on indices like this is interested parties are very good at controlling the flow of negative information - e.g. reports are altered/sat on if they are considered to be unfavourable in some way

Want a really good example of how lobby groups influence things to the detriment of the country? read this http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/1/...ectid=10491638

The two major culprits are the roads and farming industries.

The dairy/meat industry is a major force in the world of big business, it (over) produces vast quantities of dairy products and is constantly searching for new ways in which to sell and create new markets for excess product, infant formula was just created to do just this.

In much the same way electricity generating companies promoted the development and use of novel electrical goods (toasters, vacuum cleaners, washing machines etc) decades ago so that the usage of electricity would increase.
Old Feb 10th 2008, 10:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Now banned..................!

I was fed 'National Dried' similar to 1080 in nutritional value.............
Old Feb 10th 2008, 10:39 am

bless you possum!
Old Feb 10th 2008, 7:35 pm
you dewty owld maan!

Originally Posted by Lemon Bear
Whilst I'm a strong advocate for breastfeeding, I accept that formula has it's place.
back off topic - its place is with the male of the household at about 0230hrs in my experience.......
without it my eldest would probably have been very malnourished or died - he was so bad at latching on that the midwife had to come out on Christmas Day to check he was OK.
We were determined that breast feeding was the way forward but when MrsL was so poor at expressing and he was so poor at latching the Advamil (or whatever it is called) had to come out.
Old Feb 10th 2008, 7:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RobClubley
Surely beautiful lardyl is a cool man....................

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.