British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   NZ schools and college questions (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/nz-schools-college-questions-739511/)

geroge_swift Nov 20th 2011 6:33 pm

NZ schools and college questions

what is the equivalent of secondary school my youngest is 14 and college my oldest is 16 almost 17
is the standard of education good over there?
are the courses/subjects of similar bassis as in the uk?
and a bit off topic, are the waters around auckland hot or cold and are there alot of blue bottles??

UKNZAUS Nov 20th 2011 7:18 pm

Re: NZ schools and college questions

Originally Posted by geroge_swift (Post 9744330)

what is the equivalent of secondary school my youngest is 14 and college my oldest is 16 almost 17
Same! Except the year starts in February and end at Christmas. The 14yr old will be in Yr9, the 16yr old in Yr11 and the 17yr old in Yr12. The Yr12 and 13s are still at 'senior school' and from this they can go straight to Uni, providing they have met the requirements from NCEAs. Someone else might be able to help with those...

This depends what you mean on 'good'. If your kids went to private school in the UK, you might have different expectations for education than someone who sends their kids to state schools. We all want the best but we all have different needs

Not sure as my eldest was in Primary when we were in the UK, now he's Yr9. From my days at school, they were very similar minus Geography and History

and a bit off topic, are the waters around auckland hot or cold and are there alot of blue bottles??
The water tends to warm up around December time, I find it the nicest in January/February but have been known to swim from December through to March

Hope this helps :)

sarahinnz Nov 22nd 2011 8:35 pm

Re: NZ schools and college questions

Originally Posted by geroge_swift (Post 9744330)

Secondary schools are also known as "High schools", I have 2 boys 11 & 15 and both attended primary and now my eldest at High school.
I would say the state schools are better than the UK state schools but that is just my opinion. My 15yr has had some issues at school and the school has been fantastic, they really seem to support your child and help them and you as a family.
The schools also give great career advice, help find students courses and I have known them to also find jobs if kids are not wanting to go onto Uni.
Course subjects are similar with a good choice of options.

I just remember finishing school and the teachers seem to wave you off with right that's our job done, now for the next lot...:blink:

I do think the standard is better for us here, but then it also depends on where you came from in the UK and what your expectations are off a 'good education'.
Hope any of this helps!:)