Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

NZ Scary story - or what ?

NZ Scary story - or what ?

Old Jan 31st 2005, 6:55 pm
PJM

Default Re: NZ Scary story - or what ?

Originally Posted by Linda Maxwell
passed through Flagstaff everyday going to work at Gordonton, havent read all the posts, are you heading back to Uk, or are you not totally broke yet?
We are eating into our savings, its hard to give up on a dream we had and to be honest failure is not something I am used to.

Old Jan 31st 2005, 9:42 pm
Forum Regular

Linda Maxwell will become famous soon enoughLinda Maxwell will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by PJM
We are eating into our savings, its hard to give up on a dream we had and to be honest failure is not something I am used to.
We never saw moving back as failing in anything, more that NZ failed to live up to it's expectations, we researched as much as anyone moving to the other side of the world does, the reality was a bit of a shock. For 7 and a bit years we really tried, but even with me working as a kindergarten teacher and my hubby having a top job, it did not add up.
Failure is sitting on your butt in 20 years, and saying if only.
Old Feb 1st 2005, 4:05 am
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE=Linda Maxwell]and my hubby having a top job, it did not add up.
QUOTE]

Hello again Linda,

How's Bonnie Scotland ?

When you say your hubby had a top job you mean that the pay was good too, or just his type of job? If I may be so bold to ask what were your p/a salaries and what did your man do?

Did you folks buy a house over there?

Nce to hear from you & hope everything is working out for you over there.

Cheers

Campbell.
Old Feb 1st 2005, 5:00 am

Lenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE=Campbells]
Originally Posted by Lenmil
We may come back as we like NZ but only if we can afford to. QUOTE]

For me that is good enough mate.

This whole thread re the $ thing has really made me aware of the potential disaster over there and so we “hope� to give the job hunt a good tonk and secure a decent wage.

I hope to be off on my six-week discovery trip to NZ in the VERY near future and it is costing a lot of money (as well as time away from the family) but we see it as a BIG investment as we are 100% set on getting to NZ and putting our routes down. As I mentioned previously we really feel that we have got to get out of SA.

It must be very sad & disheartening for you to go back to the UK but I can only offer that you should not see it as failure. Folk who try different things in their lives gain experience/s and these can not be bought. As they say the best university is the school of life so for me it is nice to hear you say (with honesty) that you would go back.

I wish you & your family all the very best mate & hope you do get to give NZ another shot if that is where your heart is.

Cheers for now & hope you keep posting & let us all know how it goes back in the UK.

Campbell.
Hi Campbell thanks for your kind words mate. I have talked to quite a few people from SA while we have been here and most tell me they would not go back. As for your family they will most likely love it, my kids do and don't want to go back to the UK. I do feel safer here than my home city of Newcastle, but i had better money there as well as my own business. But it's stressful the hours Brits work and it seems to be getting worse according to friends i talk to there. I will soon find out though won't i. I had relatives who lived and worked in Johanesburgh and loved it but left due to rising tensions etc, that must have been 20 years ago now. Wages wise i would not work for less than $25-$30 an hour (i get $17) if you plan on just you working or you will struggle. Just do some digging on here to find that out. We planned on buying a house outright with no mortage, but after being here for almost a year we know the wage is still not enough. Shame as NZ has so much to offer in other things, but at the end of the day you need a certain amout of money to live on, without it you wil be miserable. Anyway best of luck to ya mate, and yes we will always post on here and you never know we may come back and we may go for a pint or two if you are here.
Old Feb 1st 2005, 7:43 pm
Forum Regular

Linda Maxwell will become famous soon enoughLinda Maxwell will become famous soon enough

Hi Cambell, yes we bought our house. Hubby was regional manager of a roading co. over there, the money was good. But a main problem was the lack of educational choices, it did not matter how much money you had. Another thing was the boredom, too laid back, and once you have done the tourist bits, that's it. Nothing worth buying in the shops, and I missed the easy travel opportunities here. Family and friends were of course, a big issue. The feeling of isolation does get to you after a while, probably because of the totally insular nature of the Kiwi's, if it's not affecting NZ it does not exist. You become hooked on the net or Sky news for what's going on in the outside world. NZ sucked us and many other people dry of their finances.
But I still have a son and a grandson living in Hamilton (grandson is here with his mum just now) and friends that I have left, we had good times and bad, same as anywhere. I won't run the place down, but....... as far a scenery goes, you get it in Bonnie Scotland, education - Scotland wins hands down.
Financially - its just too difficult in NZ. I know people will say it's not all about money, but they are probably not oldies like us, and thinking about the next stage of our life, ie. retirement.
I would assume that it would be a better life style for you after SA, and I hope it all works out well.
Linda
Old Feb 1st 2005, 7:44 pm
Forum Regular

Sorry Campbell that should have read
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 1:20 am
PJM

passed through Flagstaff everyday going to work at Gordonton, havent read all the posts, are you heading back to Uk, or are you not totally broke yet?
Hi Linda thanks for the support, We have over the past day or two decided to travel back to the UK. We have to sell our house and arrange for our pet dog & cat to have all of the requirments met to enable them to fly back. We hope to be back by the end of May 05. The fist step is on Fri when the pets get rabies jabs and micro chips. I will post what develops for others who might need the info.

Thanks again

PJM

Old Feb 2nd 2005, 8:35 am

scottish is an unknown quantity at this point

PJM sent you a pm

We have been through the whole pet passport system so feel free to pick those brains. Plus Linda has brought her dog back without its Pet Passport so between us we can try and help you.

Linda. hows the Grandson getting on. Bloody wonderful here isnt it? LOL I feel so alive and happy. I will PM you soon re that coffee.
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 6:27 pm
PJM

Originally Posted by scottish
PJM sent you a pm

We have been through the whole pet passport system so feel free to pick those brains. Plus Linda has brought her dog back without its Pet Passport so between us we can try and help you.

Linda. hows the Grandson getting on. Bloody wonderful here isnt it? LOL I feel so alive and happy. I will PM you soon re that coffee.
Hi Folks

I would like to take you up on the info about pets. We are taking a cat and dog back to the uk. I have researched the info and find that after the blood test for rabies which is about 30days after the vacination we will be required to wait 6 mths before we can fly our pets back 9about 7 mths total). This could be a problem if we sell our house quickly. Linda how did you get on ?

Old Feb 4th 2005, 8:04 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by PJM
Hi Folks

I would like to take you up on the info about pets. We are taking a cat and dog back to the uk. I have researched the info and find that after the blood test for rabies which is about 30days after the vacination we will be required to wait 6 mths before we can fly our pets back 9about 7 mths total). This could be a problem if we sell our house quickly. Linda how did you get on ?
We brought our dog over and she is in quarantine. If you start the proccess now, you will cut the quarantine time down. Our dog travelled well with Emirates, they were also the cheapest. Bria still has to have all her vacinations, chip, ect. but it is cheaper here. The kennel fees are however 300 pounds a month.
How is the housing market over there just now.
Old Feb 4th 2005, 8:36 pm
PJM

We brought our dog over and she is in quarantine. If you start the proccess now, you will cut the quarantine time down. Our dog travelled well with Emirates, they were also the cheapest. Bria still has to have all her vacinations, chip, ect. but it is cheaper here. The kennel fees are however 300 pounds a month.
How is the housing market over there just now.
Thanks Linda

We had the cat chiped and vacinated for rabies yesterday. Cost for Chiping was 65 each dollars and the injection 78 each. We will have to take them back in a mths time for a blood test. They then have to remain in nz for 6 mths before they can travel to the UK. If for example we are here 2 mths after the blood tests can we fly them out? and will this reduce their stay in quarantine in the UK? House prices have risen quite sharply over the past mths and the market is strong. My sister took 3 weeks to sell her house which went for 3ooo dollars below full asking price. We are having ours valued next week. I am also selling my boat and have someone coming to look today so fingers crossed we should sell.

See ya

PJM

Old Feb 4th 2005, 8:49 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by PJM
Thanks Linda

We had the cat chiped and vacinated for rabies yesterday. Cost for Chiping was 65 each dollars and the injection 78 each. We will have to take them back in a mths time for a blood test. They then have to remain in nz for 6 mths before they can travel to the UK. If for example we are here 2 mths after the blood tests can we fly them out? and will this reduce their stay in quarantine in the UK? House prices have risen quite sharply over the past mths and the market is strong. My sister took 3 weeks to sell her house which went for 3ooo dollars below full asking price. We are having ours valued next week. I am also selling my boat and have someone coming to look today so fingers crossed we should sell.

See ya

PJM
Yes you can fly them over, look for a thread started by Jim the chin on the returning to uk forum and it will give you all the information you need, if not just ask.
I'm keeping fingers crossed for you. Remember to take real estate agents price guide and add on about $5000, they want their commission quick, and will price your house to sell quickly. We sold for $1800 below our asking price in 5 days, that was after adding $8000 to Harcourts price.
Is your sister heading back too?
Old Feb 4th 2005, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

I have just checked and you will find the thread on page 6, under, taking dog back from nz to uk, started by scottish
Old Feb 4th 2005, 9:03 pm
PJM

Yes you can fly them over, look for a thread started by Jim the chin on the returning to uk forum and it will give you all the information you need, if not just ask.
I'm keeping fingers crossed for you. Remember to take real estate agents price guide and add on about $5000, they want their commission quick, and will price your house to sell quickly. We sold for $1800 below our asking price in 5 days, that was after adding $8000 to Harcourts price.
Is your sister heading back too?
Thanks Linda

I have 2 sisters who will both stay. We have realised that it is not for us but at least we will never wonder what it would have been like. We have tried it and we dont like it.

See ya

PJM

Old Feb 5th 2005, 4:28 am
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by PJM
Thanks Linda

I am also selling my boat and have someone coming to look today so fingers crossed we should sell.

See ya

PJM
Hi folks,

Just a thought PJM - you selling a car ? If so let me know details and when you want to sell as I want to buy a car when I arrive.

Cheers and good luck with your pets and moving back.

Cheers

Campbell

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.