Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

NZ road trip - suggestions?

NZ road trip - suggestions?

Old Jun 14th 2010, 7:52 am
Forum Regular

buzz will become famous soon enoughbuzz will become famous soon enough
Default Re: NZ road trip - suggestions?

Thanks very much everyone for all your replies - loads of information. The only trouble is it all sounds great, so I'm still no closer to narrowing it down. Will just have to do a second trip next year!
Old Jun 20th 2010, 11:19 am
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by buzz
Thanks very much everyone for all your replies - loads of information. The only trouble is it all sounds great, so I'm still no closer to narrowing it down. Will just have to do a second trip next year!
How much driving do you want to do.
Are you planning on flying from Auckland to CHCH, or are you driving and taking the ferry across?

Around Auckland you can easily take a daytrip to Waiheke Island, and take a day to drive down to Rotorua and Taupo,, spending two days there. That leaves about two full days to explore auckland itself which isnt a lot really.

I dont know chch that well, i have never been able to get into the vibe of chch..

How set are you on splitting your time between chch and auckland? Seems like you might be spreading yourself a bit thin and maybe you could get more out of the holiday by focussing time in one or the other, especially if you only have a week and a half or so..
Old Jun 21st 2010, 7:24 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by buzz
Hi, I'm planning a week's holiday in NZ for later this year (I live in Brisbane) and am having trouble narrowing down the list of things to do and see. I'm flying into Auckland and out of Christchurch, the idea being to spend about 5 days travelling around North Island, then flying to Christchurch and spending the remaining 3 days based there (yes I know it isn't much time but I don't have much holiday!).

What I'm having trouble with is trying to work out how far I can get/how much I could do in one day, i.e. travel times. For instance, I'd like to see a bit of the area around Rotorua, but the guide book I have says that the drive round Lake Rotorua is 60 km and to allow most of a day - would it really take that long?!

Anyway, I would really appreciate any tips/suggestions.

Thanks!
Buzz
HHmmm.......... a whistlestop tour.

Can you afford to fly from place to place or are you planning on driving ?

What type of stuff are you interested in?

Rotorua is well worth a visit for the thermal landscape and to learn something about Maori culture.