British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   NZ road trip - suggestions? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/nz-road-trip-suggestions-671851/)

buzz Jun 10th 2010 8:13 am

NZ road trip - suggestions?

Hi, I'm planning a week's holiday in NZ for later this year (I live in Brisbane) and am having trouble narrowing down the list of things to do and see. I'm flying into Auckland and out of Christchurch, the idea being to spend about 5 days travelling around North Island, then flying to Christchurch and spending the remaining 3 days based there (yes I know it isn't much time but I don't have much holiday!).

What I'm having trouble with is trying to work out how far I can get/how much I could do in one day, i.e. travel times. For instance, I'd like to see a bit of the area around Rotorua, but the guide book I have says that the drive round Lake Rotorua is 60 km and to allow most of a day - would it really take that long?!

Anyway, I would really appreciate any tips/suggestions.

Thanks! :thumbsup:
Buzz

hazeandsteve Jun 10th 2010 10:11 am

Re: NZ road trip - suggestions?

Most of the drive round Lake Rotorua is pointless.
It's a place to go through with a quick stop if you feel like it.
Head to New Plymouth, do the Forgotten Highway, then head via National Park to Wanganui and on to Wellingboro.

Am Loolah Jun 10th 2010 11:47 am

Originally Posted by hazeandsteve (Post 8623894)
Most of the drive round Lake Rotorua is pointless.
It's a place to go through with a quick stop if you feel like it.
Head to New Plymouth, do the Forgotten Highway, then head via National Park to Wanganui and on to Wellingboro.

What's the Forgotten Highway? I'm liking the sound of that?:thumbup:

JohnThePom Jun 10th 2010 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by Am Loolah (Post 8624060)

I used to know but I, er, forg....

The_Foulgers Jun 10th 2010 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by buzz (Post 8623730)
Hi, I'm planning a week's holiday in NZ for later this year (I live in Brisbane) and am having trouble narrowing down the list of things to do and see. I'm flying into Auckland and out of Christchurch, the idea being to spend about 5 days travelling around North Island, then flying to Christchurch and spending the remaining 3 days based there (yes I know it isn't much time but I don't have much holiday!).

What I'm having trouble with is trying to work out how far I can get/how much I could do in one day, i.e. travel times. For instance, I'd like to see a bit of the area around Rotorua, but the guide book I have says that the drive round Lake Rotorua is 60 km and to allow most of a day - would it really take that long?!

Buzz

Would recomend spending a day or so at Able Tasman.

Jan n Neil Jun 10th 2010 8:35 pm

we have the ski fields an hour away from here ?

hazeandsteve Jun 11th 2010 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by Am Loolah (Post 8624060)

Beautifulk drive going from Stratford, via "The Republic of Whongamomana! and emerging at Taumaranui. Gorgeous scenery, but a little bit of gravel road in the middle.:thumbup:

Buzzy--Bee Jun 11th 2010 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by buzz (Post 8623730)

Buzz

I would suggest you spend 3 days in the North and 5 in the South - the South island is far more scenic although neither is too shabby.

Most tourists in the South do "the loop" - from Christchurch down to Queenstown then back up the West Coast via the glaciers and the pancake rocks, over the Lewis Pass to Hanmer hot springs and then back to Christchurch. It is possible to do this in 5 days - I did it once in a campervan and even included a side trip to Milford sound.

3 days in the South will leave you wishing you had more time.

BB

BEVS Jun 12th 2010 9:18 am

Originally Posted by The_Foulgers (Post 8624402)

Nope. I wouldn't to be honest . So very crowded all the time.
It can be good for a day or so walk out or back but be prepared as it is a crowded one way path.

Newfies Jun 12th 2010 10:43 pm

Drive from Auckland to Rotorua is about 3 hours.
There are lots of things to see and do there depending on what takes your fancy.
Rainbow spring, Paradise Valley, plenty of thermal pools the better being south of Rotorua with the Champagne pool (Cant remember name) have to be there about 10am as they set guiser off with soda bicarb.

The drive around the whole of the lake without stopping will only take about 60 minutes but don't know why anyone would want to do this. There is a nice walk that you can do from lake front in town that comes out just after the Polynesian Spa which is called sulphur bay point. This will take you about an hour depending on how quick you walk and read as there are lots of info boards on the lake Mokia Island etc.

Rotorua is geared for tourist so plenty to do.

Driving further south there is Taupo again lots to do bungee jumping etc. About an hours drive from Rotorua.

Heading south again there are two roads to take dessert road of the other state highway only done either of them once. So I am not that knowledgable on them. You could drive through Taihape for a laugh gum boot place!

Wellington again plenty to see and do and has plenty of nightlife and culture Te papa museum and plenty more on the Harbour front. Wellington is about a 7 hour drive from Taupo.

South island the loop from Christchurch across to Greymouth on Arthurs pass incorporating the gaciers then back up and across lewis pass and doing Mauria Springs. will take about an day and a half to two days. I guess you should also try and incorporate Queenstown and Wanaka.

I appreciate time is not something that can be negotiated alot of people say spend more on the south but the north has alot to offer also. Friends that have traveled and spent more time on the south felt that they had neglected the north. So I would say split the time equally or do one island this time and save the other island for another visit!

scrubbedexpat094 Jun 12th 2010 11:04 pm

[QUOTE=Newfies;8629076]Drive from Auckland to Rotorua is about 3 hours.
There are lots of things to see and do there depending on what takes your fancy.
Rainbow spring, Paradise Valley, plenty of thermal pools the better being south of Rotorua with the Champagne pool (Cant remember name) have to be there about 10am as they set guiser off with soda bicarb.

Wai-o-Tapu

scrubbedexpat094 Jun 12th 2010 11:06 pm

The glow-worm caves at Waitomo are worth a visit & there are some lovely walks around there.

luvwelly Jun 13th 2010 12:59 am

Originally Posted by The_Foulgers (Post 8624402)

But that's nowhere near Christchurch - are you taking the hire car from North Island on the ferry or are you flying to Christchurch?

luvwelly Jun 13th 2010 1:04 am

With limited time, I'd say the main highlights are Auckland, Waitomo, Rotorua, Taupo, Tongariro...then drive to Wellington in 4/5 hours stopping off in Greytown (Wairapa), Wellington, ferry over to Picton.......Kaikoura, Christchurch, Mount Cook?

Rotorua is only a couple of hours from Taupo and Taupo is only an hour from Whakapapa in Tongariro National park. These are mega close in NZ terms.

I would totally skip New Plymouth too out on a limb.

RobDon Jun 13th 2010 7:06 am

[QUOTE=Newfies;8629076]Drive from Auckland to Rotorua is about 3 hours.

The drive around the whole of the lake without stopping will only take about 60 minutes but don't know why anyone would want to do this. There is a nice walk that you can do from lake front in town that comes out just after the Polynesian Spa which is called sulphur bay point. This will take you about an hour depending on how quick you walk and read as there are lots of info boards on the lake Mokia Island etc.

Rotorua is geared for tourist so plenty to do.

We are slightly biased but Rotorua is a must see place!! :thumbsup: