Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

NZ Rental Property Maintenance check

NZ Rental Property Maintenance check

Old Mar 3rd 2007, 4:54 am
Forum Regular

Liz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud of
Default NZ Rental Property Maintenance check

We have been in our rental, in Tauranga, for 3 months now and have received a letter from the agent saying she wants to carry out a Maintenance check. Anyone any ideas of what this entails? I presume I will have to remove the 4 sets of bunkbeds in the back room, that I am sub-letting!!

Any advice of what the agents are looking for or any offers, of locals, to help me make the house look respectable, would be greatly appreciated.
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 6:06 am
Account Closed

Apple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: NZ Rental Property Maintenance check

Originally Posted by Liz & Co
We have been in our rental, in Tauranga, for 3 months now and have received a letter from the agent saying she wants to carry out a Maintenance check. Anyone any ideas of what this entails? I presume I will have to remove the 4 sets of bunkbeds in the back room, that I am sub-letting!!

Any advice of what the agents are looking for or any offers, of locals, to help me make the house look respectable, would be greatly appreciated.
Gosh, to have put the house in such a state that you need people to help you put the house straight? In only 3 months?
I am glad I am not your landlord

A maintenance check is just that, means if you have any problems with the house that info will be passed on the landlord so stuff can get fixed. It also helps the landlord know that you are not trashing the place, and if you are not, then there will be nothing to worry about.

Last edited by Apple12; Mar 3rd 2007 at 6:10 am.
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 6:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default NZ Rental Property Maintenance check

I don’t think there is anything sinister here, it’s just to check to make sure you are not trashing the place and that you are keeping is reasonably clean and tidy.

Check with the letting agent if you require further details, they have to by law give you the answers you seek

Good luck!
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 3:49 pm
UK, NZ and SA User

leaseuk is on a distinguished road

Like Apple said it really is just a maintenance check. We are letting our house out in Manurewa and as the people couldn't provide a reference (just arrived from another country) we made them pay an extra 2 weeks deposit and for the first year a 3 monthly maintenance check. Just to make sure they weren't subletting to their extended families, make sure they weren't digging up the lawn to have loads of hangi's, keeping the carpet hoovered, etc. We also got to learn that sometimes the stove wasn't working, that the shower head leaked, etc.

Nothing to worry about it you are naturally tidy-ish.
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 5:57 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

You serious about sub-letting? 'Cos if you are, from what you wrote, it sounds like that's definitely not allowed.
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 7:13 pm
Forum Regular

orca05 will become famous soon enoughorca05 will become famous soon enough

Hi
We live in Tauranga and have rented before.Don't worry it just a routine check that all the rental agents do.As long as the house is reasonably clean and tidy thats all they are looking for.The one thing that they like you to keep on top of is the showers especially the trays,ovens and tidy lawns with no over grown weeds.They will most likely pick up on something but don't take it personably.As long as you haven't got a motorbike parked in the front room covered in grease then they are happy.
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 7:18 pm
Forum Regular

Liz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud of

I was joking about the bunkbeds but never gave the motor bike in the lounge a second thought - I'll move it!

We are clean and tidy, the dishwasher is playing up so I will mention that.

Thanks for replies
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 10:36 pm

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

It's a good idea to mention the dishwasher, also anything else that may need looking at. We used to keep a list of things to tell the agents about just incase we got clobbered for it at the end of the tenancy. (mostly things like leaky shower and wc, blocked gutters, crack in the floor & paintwork around the garage door)
Old Mar 4th 2007, 7:20 am
UK, NZ and SA User

leaseuk is on a distinguished road
Talking Re: NZ Rental Property Maintenance check

but never gave the motor bike in the lounge a second thought - I'll move it!
Don't joke. My brother was tinkering with his motorbike in the house. It lived in his KITCHEN!

Loads of newspaper on the floor always. But then it was a boyz house!