Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Is NZ really that bad?

Is NZ really that bad?

Old Aug 30th 2012, 10:16 pm
Just Joined

PobnPooky is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is NZ really that bad?

As I'm new and have only just really started looking at moving to NZ this thread has been very interesting. I know what every one is saying about personal opinion being key to this question but its good to hear what everyone feels as already a couple of things have been mentioned that I perhaps wouldnt have thought of or that concern me... Poison dropping being one, whats all that about? Friendships is a concern as is the cost of tomatoes...what can i say, i love them both.

Please keep the comments coming, i think its great and it helps those of us that are thinking about it be objective. Thank for your honesty though, emigrating isnt an easy decision but admitting the place has faults isnt necessarily any easier.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 10:29 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 127luton
Come on guys ...NZ isn't that bad! ... I love driving to work past beautiful scenery... And am at work in a flash! ( due to lack of traffic) it's a lot less stressful here IMO .. And at times we do miss our family... But Skype a lot and that helps! Anyway that's my two penny's worth for the moment!
B. x
I drive to work past beautiful scenery. It takes nearly an hour each way on account of the fact it's a 65km drive. Not much traffic but that means sod all to me at that distance. I still have to slow to 50km in the villages I crawl through, it's the equivalent of meeting heavy traffic. I walked to work in Britain - it took 25 minuets.

I'm spending as much on cheaper petrol here that I spent on petrol in Britain. This is because I have to fill the petrol tank of my 1500cc Mazda here in NZ every six days not every 3 weeks like I did for the 1800cc Golf in Britain.

Thanks for your two penny worth. I'm not trying to contradict you.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 10:32 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PobnPooky
As I'm new and have only just really started looking at moving to NZ this thread has been very interesting. I know what every one is saying about personal opinion being key to this question but its good to hear what everyone feels as already a couple of things have been mentioned that I perhaps wouldnt have thought of or that concern me... Poison dropping being one, whats all that about? Friendships is a concern as is the cost of tomatoes...what can i say, i love them both.

Please keep the comments coming, i think its great and it helps those of us that are thinking about it be objective. Thank for your honesty though, emigrating isnt an easy decision but admitting the place has faults isnt necessarily any easier.
Google ten eighty. It's also expressed as 1080. The Dept of Conservation use it in NZ to keep the possum problem and other pest animals under control. It's contravercial because it kills other animals too. The Green Party in NZ don't like 1080. I don't think dog walkers and deer farmers cool with it either.

Tomatoes ? I just pick out the smaller ones so I get more for my kilo.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 10:40 pm

In the situation I'm in family wise I'm moving to New Zeland no matter what, but by and large I've been pleased to read on here about some of the stark reality of living in New Zealand. The cons, if you will.

I will earn less in NZ, I will have to adjust. I accept that. That's life. If money was my motivator in life I wouldn't be moving. But earning decent money isn't a good enough reason not to try NZ now. Money doesn't motivate me, like it does others. The timing feels right.
Sorry to say this but, you are going to find out about New Zealand life the hard way. Good luck. Why don't you jack your job in now and get one on two thirds pay just to give you a better idea about financial struggle whilst trying to maintain any sort of quality of life.

Last edited by BEVS; Aug 31st 2012 at 12:34 am. Reason: qwoties
Old Aug 30th 2012, 10:48 pm
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chick-a-dee
I've been a long time lurker on the verge of emigrating to Canada a few years ago, but didn't. For the last year or so I've really been looking at NZ instead. I've been out there a few times and loved it, but holidaying and actually living there on a day to day basis are very different.

For me, the UK has massively gone downhill in the last 5 years or so. The crime is bad, the costs are high and the standards are declining. Don't even get me started on the weather! Looking on here, those that have made the move to NZ seem to be on a bit of a downer about it and TBH I can't see how it can be any worse than the UK is right now. From what I've read, I get the impression that people who had a large circle of friends and an active social life in the UK are the ones that are the unhappiest, as they have been unable to recreate that in NZ - however, that's just my perception.

Please can those who have regretted the move advise why they feel the way they do, as from my few visits to NZ I fail to see how it can be so bad.
I read the NZ forums from time to time and my general impression is that I would not want to live there. From an Australian perspective I see NZ about the same as Tasmania - similar climates and more mountainy landscapes and small populations. I see Tasmania as a possible retirement location, and we have spoken of NZ in the same way, but I don't think I would want to live there. I would say no offence to Kiwis but with 55,000 of them coming to Australia every year they obviously feel the same way.
Old Aug 31st 2012, 1:19 am
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray and Debbie
I'm spending as much on cheaper petrol here that I spent on petrol in Britain. This is because I have to fill the petrol tank of my 1500cc Mazda here in NZ every six days not every 3 weeks like I did for the 1800cc Golf in Britain.
Here's a tip for you, my cousin who's a mechanic told me about it. Don't ever fill up your car with that 91 petrol, it's low grade lawnmower fuel. They don't sell 91 in the UK as it's garbage, it's cheaper but modern car engines have to use more of it to get the same results. If you fill up with 95 your car engine management system will notice the difference and use loads less as you're driving about. 95 is a bit more expensive but in the long run you'll save money, we certainly noticed a difference.
Old Aug 31st 2012, 1:41 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I never realised

Top tip indeedy so thanks for that.
Old Aug 31st 2012, 3:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
I never realised

Top tip indeedy so thanks for that.
And Gull fuel is apparently 10% bio fuel AND really does not save you any money apparently, as the bang you get for you lesser buck is indeed a lesser bang!!! Have stopped using it favouring the slightly higher priced other options and it does make a difference.
Old Aug 31st 2012, 5:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by barnsleymat
Here's a tip for you, my cousin who's a mechanic told me about it. Don't ever fill up your car with that 91 petrol, it's low grade lawnmower fuel. They don't sell 91 in the UK as it's garbage, it's cheaper but modern car engines have to use more of it to get the same results. If you fill up with 95 your car engine management system will notice the difference and use loads less as you're driving about. 95 is a bit more expensive but in the long run you'll save money, we certainly noticed a difference.
If your mechanic cuz told you this then he aint much of a mechanic and does not know what he's talking about!

If your engine is designed to run on 91 then your wasting money using 95!

If you have a high performance car use 95!

P.S.

Japan's "regular" petrol is 89ron!

Last edited by Robbie2010; Aug 31st 2012 at 5:14 am.
Old Aug 31st 2012, 6:15 am
Forum Regular

higgy2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just checked the Barina Handbook. States - Use unleaded 91.
BUT - If you use 95 it may provide a small improvement in
performance and fuel economy.

So it seems to have some truth behind it.

If Holden say 'may' then take it as Yes It Will.
Old Aug 31st 2012, 6:24 am
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Robbie2010
If your mechanic cuz told you this then he aint much of a mechanic and does not know what he's talking about!

If your engine is designed to run on 91 then your wasting money using 95!

If you have a high performance car use 95!

P.S.

Japan's "regular" petrol is 89ron!
The marked improvement in our km's to the litre must be a figment of my imagination in our Jap import. Since starting using 95 we spend much less on petrol.

You'd struggle to light a barbecue with that 91 stuff.

I'll pass your kind words onto my cousin, I'm not sure why people get the impression this forum is bitchy.
Old Aug 31st 2012, 6:55 am
Just Joined

pommychic has a brilliant futurepommychic has a brilliant futurepommychic has a brilliant futurepommychic has a brilliant futurepommychic has a brilliant futurepommychic has a brilliant futurepommychic has a brilliant futurepommychic has a brilliant future
Smile Re: Is NZ really that bad?

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
I have been reading this board for years and never really gotten this impression from anyone here. Everyone usually cites those old cliches about coming here for a simpler, slower pace of life and for the sake of their kids. Unfortunately we know not what we wish for, as you can't imagine what that means in any tangible way when it is 24/7 for 52 weeks of the year.

The slow pace, she'll be right, mediocre take it or leave it pace of life will get to you if you are not that way inclined already. If you have a bit of pace about you and are a busy 'doing' person with a busy and active mind, who needs to do stuff and get things done then this place will drive you insane.

The shortness of money generally and financial tightness is a big constraint that wears me down. The lack of spontaneity, having to weigh up all the options of affordability drive me bonkers. If you want to invite some friends to go out for a meal, you feel obliged to pick somewhere cheap, or from the entertainment book, there's always debate about the costs, specials, coupons who is paying for what and splitting of hairs over bills or whether we're bringing things. Please can we just go out and do something without having to take all these things into consideration or pack a friggin bag of supplies.

The feeling of being trapped here is immense for me and not being able to get away on holidays for guaranteed sunshine breaks that don't involve catering for yourself and carting everything but the kitchen sink with you make me want to run away to a five star all inclusive caribbean resort.

Yes we too thought we have Fiji and the pacific islands only four hours away but we can't afford the honeymoon prices for a five day self catered break in a backpacker style fale. We thought we would be flitting back and forth to Aussie for great escapes and shopping.

I crave for a fortnight of 'proper' holiday, some different people, traditions, culture, different food, architecture and sight seeing. The thoughts of never having another European holiday in the likes of Italy, Greece and Turkey, never being able to spend a week at the beach chilling and doing nothing but reading a book and eating out makes me very

We were never all that close to immediate family but knowing they are there when you need them or they need you is immeasurable. This gives rise to the added killer, if we could afford a holiday we would feel obliged to come and spend time with friends and family in the UK. We're on a constant guilt trip of missed anniversaries, special birthdays, weddings and events that we wish we could be part of.

It is a hard-knock life as far as I am concerned and just staying alive from one day to the next requires much more thought, planning, effort and input from me. Nothing is easy and I have far less free time than I ever had in the UK.
I couldn't have put the above any better if I had tried. Which is why after 6 years, I couldn't do it anymore. Pretend that I fitted in here. Life is for living and its all very well being in a sunny climate with wide open spaces but it sickened me to think I had sacrificed spending precious time with my family for scrimping and saving and the promised "better lifestyle" (taking advantage of NZ's places, the snow, scenery, hopping on a plane to go to the south island, holidays in Fiji etc etc) is laughable now looking back.

Our family is in the process of returning back to the UK. I am the first to go with our youngest. I am here now and been back nearly a week. The relief and weight off my shoulders is bliss.
Old Aug 31st 2012, 6:59 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by barnsleymat
I'm not sure why people get the impression this forum is bitchy.
Umm . It's not the forum is it, coz we are all rather lovely in our own individual way. I loves you all anyways.

It is some of the personal comments that ain't all that sometimes. S'pose that depends on the mood, timing and circumstance. Much like real life really.
Old Aug 31st 2012, 8:13 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think dog walkers and deer farmers cool with it either.
If your dog is off the lead in an area where 1080 has been dropped, then it's a danger to native wildlife, kiwis included.
There's always signage warning of 1080, and drops are preadvertised.
I'm not a fan of it by the way, but it's one of numerous ways of destroying an introduced pest which destroys huge tracts of native land. DoC see it as a very effective necessary evil where trapping is unfeasible according to a DoC man I met not so long ago. I was all a bit "how could you" until I heard a reasoned argument.
Haven't heard deer farmers complain. Neither rifle toting deer hunters. Pig hunters might have more of a problem with their dogs.
The argument for it's use as a deterrent to bovine TB is very shaky in my opinion.
Old Aug 31st 2012, 8:32 am
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to say this but, you are going to find out about New Zealand life the hard way. Good luck. Why don't you jack your job in now and get one on two thirds pay just to give you a better idea about financial struggle whilst trying to maintain any sort of quality of life.
I paid my own way through university without funding from my parents, because they simply couldn't afford it. Living on a tight budget is nothing new to me.

But, simply put, in the UK, I live like I earn a third of what I acctually earn - the rest has gone in to investing in business (which will give me an steady income in NZ, before working) and various savings accounts.

I don't need to look to save in New Zealand as such. We have a windfall coming our way in the next couple of years and will be able to buy a house outright.

So anything that comes into the household in terms of money, after bills, etc, will be pocket money.

Give it 5 years and I look forward to a comfortable, simple life in my mid 30's, two kids, mortage free - so your slightly sarcastic response can stick it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.