Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Is NZ really that bad?

Is NZ really that bad?

Old Aug 30th 2012, 8:43 am
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is NZ really that bad?

Originally Posted by tweetweet
personally i would go to AUSTRALIA

the telling fact about NZ is that 54000 kiwis left NZ for AUSTRALIA since january to july this year
Another telling fact is that in April the annual outflow of people from New Zealand was 87,800.

Where are the other 33,000?

If you're going to leap do it soon, before people start taking the likes of Federal MP Kelvin Thompson seriously.

Mr Thomson said there had been uproar in Parliament about 9600 asylum seekers arriving by boat but not a word said about the 54,000 New Zealanders who moved to Australia in the past 12 months.

He said it was a massive rise from the annual rate of 16,000 a decade ago and if the growth continued there would be 100,000 Kiwis a year moving to Australia within five years.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 8:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chick-a-dee
Aside from petrol, is there anything that is cheaper in NZ?
Laptops, computers and possibly pies from the local BP station..cant think of anything else
Old Aug 30th 2012, 8:52 am
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 127luton
Come on guys ...NZ isn't that bad! ... I love driving to work past beautiful scenery... And am at work in a flash! ( due to lack of traffic) it's a lot less stressful here IMO .. And at times we do miss our family... But Skype a lot and that helps! Anyway that's my two penny's worth for the moment!
B. x
Now you see, for me having nice scenery and being at work in a flash is no big deal. I can get that anywhere and I would prefer not to have to drive, walking would be good, or by train if I had to.

What is more important for me is the quality of the job I did when I got there, the calibre of my colleagues and getting a decent day's pay for a decent day's work. Then returning home and sharing my day with family and friends. Having enough leave to enjoy my leisure time and sufficient funds to be able to see something of the world during my holidays. That's what I call work life balance.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 8:56 am

waikatoguy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Expat Kiwi
Another telling fact is that in April the annual outflow of people from New Zealand was 87,800.
But at the same time there was an inflow of about 85,000 people. A net loss of 3,000 people. The first net loss of migrants for many a year.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 9:06 am
Banned

Originally Posted by waikatoguy
But at the same time there was an inflow of about 85,000 people. A net loss of 3,000 people. The first net loss of migrants for many a year.
And you find that amusing because.......
Old Aug 30th 2012, 9:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

I was just reading about 'Expat New Zealand TV Presenter', Charlotte 'Don't call me a Kiwi' Dawson.

"New Zealand is small, nasty and vindictive. It's a tiny, little village ... a tiny country at the end of the earth," she told the Herald on Sunday.

She said she realised some New Zealanders may take offence at her views.

"It does make New Zealand look pedestrian and stupid. But honestly, that was my experience.
How dare she call us pedestrian. She'll never be allowed back in the country.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 9:21 am
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expat Kiwi
And you find that amusing because.......
Presumably because people like to manipulate statistics to suit their argument.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 9:29 am

waikatoguy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TommyLuck
Presumably because people like to manipulate statistics to suit their argument.
Exactly!
Old Aug 30th 2012, 9:39 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
I was just reading about 'Expat New Zealand TV Presenter', Charlotte 'Don't call me a Kiwi' Dawson.

How dare she call us pedestrian. She'll never be allowed back in the country.
Did you hear what happened to her last night? google #diecharlotte. She definitely won't be going back after that. I hope she's ok.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 9:42 am
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chick-a-dee
I've been a long time lurker on the verge of emigrating to Canada a few years ago, but didn't. For the last year or so I've really been looking at NZ instead. I've been out there a few times and loved it, but holidaying and actually living there on a day to day basis are very different.

For me, the UK has massively gone downhill in the last 5 years or so. The crime is bad, the costs are high and the standards are declining. Don't even get me started on the weather! Looking on here, those that have made the move to NZ seem to be on a bit of a downer about it and TBH I can't see how it can be any worse than the UK is right now. From what I've read, I get the impression that people who had a large circle of friends and an active social life in the UK are the ones that are the unhappiest, as they have been unable to recreate that in NZ - however, that's just my perception.

Please can those who have regretted the move advise why they feel the way they do, as from my few visits to NZ I fail to see how it can be so bad.
Chick-a-dee,

This is an excellent question you pose. Well put.

In the situation I'm in family wise I'm moving to New Zeland no matter what, but by and large I've been pleased to read on here about some of the stark reality of living in New Zealand. The cons, if you will.

But having said that, some of this stark reality is not discernably different to my life now in London.

The main things I will miss is my family, real ale (I'm not paying $11 for a bottle of London Pride at Countdown, so I wont miss it THAT much) and a couple of my favourite restaurants.

I will earn less in NZ, I will have to adjust. I accept that. That's life. If money was my motivator in life I wouldn't be moving. In fact I've put off moving to New Zealand off for a couple of years because I've been doing well at work, I suppose a "why cut my nose of to spite my face?" attitude.

But earning decent money isn't a good enough reason not to try NZ now. Money doesn't motivate me, like it does others. The timing feels right.

I would like to clarify that if money does motivate someone, then great. I'm not saying I'm a better person because it's doesn't motivate me.

Aside from this I haven't read anything to make me feel that my life will be worse in New Zealand, though I admit I'm far from being unhappy in the UK, my family and I are giving it a go to find out the answers as to whether it can work for us.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 9:56 am
BE Enthusiast

ellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Eventhough we arent all in NZ yet, will put my 'two penneth' in so to speak.

Wages - for us my husband is currently on £4K more than he was in the UK, and thats his start pay which should hopefully go up. Granted when me and the children get there (subject to house selling - and soon) my wage will vanish, but am hoping to pickup something part time which would fit in with the children.

Money definitely wasnt the motive for moving, with the costs of flights, removals and immigration in the first place - its not a cheap option.

Although I do like a good shop and nose around at the latest items, I wont particularly miss not having that in NZ - theres always the internet.

Cooking - we make most of our food from scratch anyway, we havent the room here to grow our own, something which we want to do in NZ.

I think all countries have their pros and cons and you cant look at NZ with rose coloured spectacles - and to be quite honest I dont want to be one of those people who look back in 10 years time and said I wish i'd gone to NZ. I would sooner try it - if it doesnt work out at least we can say we tried.

Last edited by ellenarosemary; Aug 30th 2012 at 9:59 am.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 10:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Clappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray and Debbie
Originally Posted by pommychic
I went xmas shopping on a saturday afternoon three weeks before Xmas last year and the place was deserted.. Not many people around, no Xmas lights, feeling or fuss. I did all my shopping in one afternoon and the car park was half empty. Would you find that bliss? Or would you feel a bit gloomy?
Yup, can wholeheartedly agree with that. Last year on the first weekend of December we happened to be in Auckland. After the family duty visit we travelled from the North Shore of Auckland to central Auckland, the Britomart car park to be precise in 22 minutes !

I couldn't believe my eyes ! Three weekends from Christmas and it wasn't bedlam ! Got a parking space easily.
Er, 22 minutes from North Shore to Britomart outside of rush hour is normal, Christmas or not.

The Aucklanders don't do their Christmas shopping, or much else other shopping , in the CBD, that's why it was quiet. Going to one of the big malls on the other hand is a very different experience.

We went to Albany mall one Saturday in December last year and I became so exasperated trying to find somewhere to park that I dropped my wife off at the entrance, told her to phone me when she had finished and then drove home and waited there.

Back on topic, we have more space here which is a positive, but less money, much much less money.

Our day-to-day living is much the same as it was. The difference is that we used to take several short holidays every year, mostly around Europe but some further afield, and we used to save money too.

This year we have taken one holiday to the islands and saved $0.

I appreciate that that is a better state of affairs than many people have to live with and I should count my blessings but the point of the thread is that my blessings are fewer and more far between than they were when I lived in the UK.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 11:14 am
BE Forum Addict

That's a good post Clappy

What is becoming apparent to me, from you ex-pat's already in NZ is that, generally speaking, if you are happy with a simpler life, i.e. having to save if you really want something, whether it be a holiday, or a decent TV or even a good waterproof coat, then NZ wont be a shock.

Perhaps "shock" is the wrong word, but I'm struggling to find a better word.

Of course, some people do earn more over there compared to where they've moved from, but generally people seem to feel less well off.

Aside from work, if I look at my typical week it consists of cycling, gym, playing team sports and family/friends time. At least 3 of these will be of a better quality in NZ (dealing with Kiwi drivers whilst cycling notwithstanding), simply down to the environment I find myself in. I will also have a more spacious home than I currently, or ever will do in London, for the forseeable future.

This simplistic view doesn't account for the fact that the rest of my family will be on the other side of the world of course. But if I do go without a holiday abroad (away from NZ) is this such a bad thing considered the better day to day qualities of living?

There are way more things to weigh up than I anticipated before joining this forum.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 11:37 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

The problem with questions like these are that it really does come down to personal opinion, your circumstances, living standards that you as an individual find acceptable and desirable and also your attitude to life.

My living standards and life are very similar to when I lived in the UK, I do have a better house though. My wage is the same using today's exchange rate and taking into account inflationary increases since I came to NZ. I have always cooked from scratch so doing that has always been normal [and enjoyable] for me.
I came over here to be with the kiwi, never had any desire to move away from the UK before that. Am I happy here? I would say yes but I'd be equally as happy living back in the UK. One thing I've come to realise over the years is that location doesn't bother me as much as being comfortable in my own life. Finance comes into that but it also encompasses work, homelife, friends etc. I have never moved because I did not like the town or city that I lived in, it has always been for other reasons. Will be on the move again soon, life is an adventure
Old Aug 30th 2012, 11:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Clappy
We went to Albany mall one Saturday in December last year and I became so exasperated trying to find somewhere to park that I dropped my wife off at the entrance, told her to phone me when she had finished and then drove home and waited there.
I try to avoid the place, it is like that most weekends.

I can't imagine anyone except tourists and those that live in the CBD would make a special trip to go there for shopping at the weekend. Any initial thoughts of doing so, would eventually be quashed when it gets to the debate about how they were going to have to pay for parking.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.