Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Is NZ really that bad?

Is NZ really that bad?

Old Feb 21st 2011, 2:19 pm
Forum Regular

Godeskian is just really niceGodeskian is just really niceGodeskian is just really niceGodeskian is just really niceGodeskian is just really niceGodeskian is just really niceGodeskian is just really niceGodeskian is just really nice
Default Is NZ really that bad?

You know,

I'm a little perturbed.

The general impression of NZ for a lot of people on this and other fora seems to be, well, bad.

I'm not naive enough to think that it would some kind of mythical land of milk and honey, but there seems to be a really bad vibe coming from NZ according to a great many posters. Drugs, crime, high house prices, crap wages, lack of things to do.

Is NZ really that bad? Because I've gone from optimistic to something just north of terrified.
Old Feb 21st 2011, 5:38 pm
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is NZ really that bad?

Check out the update section......there are some positive post's around.

NZ does have it's problems....same as UK but less people in similar sized land mass means you can distance yourself from the problem areas more easily, but IMO it's important to know that similar problems still exist even though NZ is 12000 miles away.
B
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 9:40 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Godeskian
Drugs, crime, high house prices, crap wages, lack of things to do.
Drugs - No
Crime - No
High house prices - Depends on area
Crap wages - Depends on job
Lack of things to do - Depends on the person and their intellect
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 10:33 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Is NZ really that bad?

Yes it’s really that bad. Better stay away and leave it for us to enjoy alone .

Living in New Zealand is like being married to a super model, brilliant fun but not always particularly practical. However if we wanted safe and practical we’d all live in Belgium.
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 10:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Godeskian
You know,

I'm a little perturbed.

The general impression of NZ for a lot of people on this and other fora seems to be, well, bad.

I'm not naive enough to think that it would some kind of mythical land of milk and honey, but there seems to be a really bad vibe coming from NZ according to a great many posters. Drugs, crime, high house prices, crap wages, lack of things to do.

Is NZ really that bad? Because I've gone from optimistic to something just north of terrified.
It definitely depends on where you are coming from and where you are going to.

Id definitely never leave the South of England again to live in Wellington (or Auckland or Christchurch). There really aint much here for the average person. But there again, sea fishermen would probably love it here compared to Wolverhampton.

Of the things you mention, crap wages and lack of things to do are probably the main concerns. Dont come here and be poor , whatever you do. If you dont have money to bring, I wouldnt bother. Drugs, crime - yeah, I wouldnt say its good here for that, just dont expect it to be better than where u are coming from.
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 11:55 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Browner_
Drugs, crime - yeah, I wouldnt say its good here for that, just dont expect it to be better than where u are coming from.
Really? That's a pretty sweeping statement. I come from London and spent the last 10 years in Cornwall before moving to NZ. For me NZ has far surpassed where "I came from". I've been back to the UK for a visit and it all seemed a little jaded and tatty TBH. I much prefer NZ and despite family problems and dramas I would not see myself moving from here for the foreseeable future.
Old Feb 24th 2011, 10:38 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sr71
Drugs - No
Crime - No
High house prices - Depends on area
Crap wages - Depends on job
Lack of things to do - Depends on the person and their intellect
What ^^ said.
Old Feb 24th 2011, 1:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute

No it's not that bad. This forum is a strange phenomenon It really drives me mad sometimes. What you have to remember is that all of the information is subjective, we don't know what people's back stories are, we don't know what their personal baggage is that has made them make the decision to move to another country. Some people move for a while, some for good. Some are "stuck" because they have partners/husbands/wives that love it here and they don't (I feel really sorry for them, I know how they feel but I can see light at the end of the tunnel) Different people have different expectations.

My own personal mantra at the moment is standard of living versus quality of life. If my family and I remained in London we would infinitely be financially better off. We can both slave away, both commute 1 hour each way to work and back, try to have a social life and do leisure activities and so on around traffic/public transport nightmares/crowds/expense/weather. We would no doubt try to keep working our way up the property ladder, to get near that elusive "excellent" state school. My mind would continue to boggle at the class system here (I get so fed up with people obsessing over property, John Lewis, fitting into their skinny jeans, what friggin kind of wine they drink....gah) Our quality of housing would [I]probably[I] be better, we would probably drive a nicer car here, have lots of overseas holidays, we would shop at lovely shops, eat food from M and S and Waitrose on special occasions and have the opportunity to eat out on a regular basis or go to some fancy restaurants.

What I want though is quality of life, where I can get in my car and think right what beach shall we go to today, not have to worry about parking, not have to worry about traffic, not have to worry about crowds of people. I want to go to the supermarket and be able to get a park and not have to time my visit for the crack of dawn to avoid people who think if they don't visit the supermarket every day the world will fall over, I want to be able to have a nice house but not be obsessed by wondering how much equity is in it, when can I upgrade to the next rung on the property ladder. I want to enjoy lovely coffee and food that tastes of something (IMVHO I know people disagree). I want to go to a one o'clock club and know that the toys are not disgustingly dirty and look like they haven't been cleaned for five years, I want to go to the park at 10am without having to see someone downing a can of cider on the park bench, I want to go to Central Otago for my summer holidays, enjoy the clean air and dry heat, be able to pop away for the weekend somewhere that is people free and secluded. I want to play sport as it is part of everyday life instead of a monumental effort trying to arrange a simple game of touch. I want to pop around to other peoples houses without calling, I want people to pop round and see me without calling, I want my kids to run around in bare feet, get them disgustingly dirty because that is a sign of a good day outside to me nothing wrong with a good wash or a shower afterwards! I want to go to pot luck dinners, bbqs and see my friends on a frequent basis without booking them in 5 months in advance!!

See this is all stuff that is important to ME ,simple things keep me happy, you will have very different needs, wants, wishes and desires in life. There is no one type of person (i.e personality) that enjoys living in New Zealand, we all want different things.

Don't be terrified, but do look at all the threads, negative and positive. As a returning kiwi this forum has helped me immensely, I really struggle sometimes to face up to the problems we have in our country BUT this forum has made me realise how much I LOVE NZ and how much of a kiwi I am. NZ is quirky, some say weird and backwards, I say innovative, individual and a great place to live.

Before I finish my rant, I must say I think you can achieve quality of live in the UK, a big part of my quality of life is also having family around which we don't really have in London.

Sorry for the epic post!

Dannigirl
Old Feb 24th 2011, 5:59 pm
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute

Good on you! great post Dannigirl

Originally Posted by dannigirl
No it's not that bad. This forum is a strange phenomenon It really drives me mad sometimes. What you have to remember is that all of the information is subjective, we don't know what people's back stories are, we don't know what their personal baggage is that has made them make the decision to move to another country. Some people move for a while, some for good. Some are "stuck" because they have partners/husbands/wives that love it here and they don't (I feel really sorry for them, I know how they feel but I can see light at the end of the tunnel) Different people have different expectations.

My own personal mantra at the moment is standard of living versus quality of life. If my family and I remained in London we would infinitely be financially better off. We can both slave away, both commute 1 hour each way to work and back, try to have a social life and do leisure activities and so on around traffic/public transport nightmares/crowds/expense/weather. We would no doubt try to keep working our way up the property ladder, to get near that elusive "excellent" state school. My mind would continue to boggle at the class system here (I get so fed up with people obsessing over property, John Lewis, fitting into their skinny jeans, what friggin kind of wine they drink....gah) Our quality of housing would [I]probably[I] be better, we would probably drive a nicer car here, have lots of overseas holidays, we would shop at lovely shops, eat food from M and S and Waitrose on special occasions and have the opportunity to eat out on a regular basis or go to some fancy restaurants.

What I want though is quality of life, where I can get in my car and think right what beach shall we go to today, not have to worry about parking, not have to worry about traffic, not have to worry about crowds of people. I want to go to the supermarket and be able to get a park and not have to time my visit for the crack of dawn to avoid people who think if they don't visit the supermarket every day the world will fall over, I want to be able to have a nice house but not be obsessed by wondering how much equity is in it, when can I upgrade to the next rung on the property ladder. I want to enjoy lovely coffee and food that tastes of something (IMVHO I know people disagree). I want to go to a one o'clock club and know that the toys are not disgustingly dirty and look like they haven't been cleaned for five years, I want to go to the park at 10am without having to see someone downing a can of cider on the park bench, I want to go to Central Otago for my summer holidays, enjoy the clean air and dry heat, be able to pop away for the weekend somewhere that is people free and secluded. I want to play sport as it is part of everyday life instead of a monumental effort trying to arrange a simple game of touch. I want to pop around to other peoples houses without calling, I want people to pop round and see me without calling, I want my kids to run around in bare feet, get them disgustingly dirty because that is a sign of a good day outside to me nothing wrong with a good wash or a shower afterwards! I want to go to pot luck dinners, bbqs and see my friends on a frequent basis without booking them in 5 months in advance!!

See this is all stuff that is important to ME ,simple things keep me happy, you will have very different needs, wants, wishes and desires in life. There is no one type of person (i.e personality) that enjoys living in New Zealand, we all want different things.

Don't be terrified, but do look at all the threads, negative and positive. As a returning kiwi this forum has helped me immensely, I really struggle sometimes to face up to the problems we have in our country BUT this forum has made me realise how much I LOVE NZ and how much of a kiwi I am. NZ is quirky, some say weird and backwards, I say innovative, individual and a great place to live.

Before I finish my rant, I must say I think you can achieve quality of live in the UK, a big part of my quality of life is also having family around which we don't really have in London.

Sorry for the epic post!

Dannigirl
Old Feb 24th 2011, 8:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

and NZ isn't that bad after all. I don't think so. though its a bit scary coz earthquakes.

Last edited by crap coffee; Feb 24th 2011 at 9:51 pm.
Old Feb 24th 2011, 9:52 pm
MnB

[QUOTE=crap coffee;9199669]
My mind would continue to boggle at the class system here (I get so fed up with people obsessing over property, John Lewis, fitting into their skinny jeans, what friggin kind of wine they drink....gah) Our quality of housing would [I]probably[I] be better, we would probably drive a nicer car here, have lots of overseas holidays, we would shop at lovely shops, eat food from M and S and Waitrose on special occasions and have the opportunity to eat out on a regular basis or go to some fancy restaurants.

yes, (to me) thats one of the most unpleasant things about the UK -- the classs system. don't like princess/royal family lot for instance. (who give a damn?) and ppl I know in UK - they are just ordinary ppl (from working class to middle ish class) they all try work desperately hard to become higher class. or pretend or try to put their kids into the most expensive private schools etc in Oxford/ or OXBRIDGE. to me they all disgusting.

I'd rather be here and being poor. (money IS important but its not everything in life) and try to accept just ordinary unsophisticated life - say common people?. at the end of the day I prefer equal, balance and peace.

we are all same human being aren't we? why do we have to be classed by high middle and low? thats cr@p.

and NZ isn't that bad after all. I don't think so. though its a bit scary coz earthquakes.
Hey.....not everyone in the UK is striving to rise through the class system, some of us a very content with our lives and accept our 'ordinary unsophisticated lives' ....... but then I suppose I could be classed as being in the middle.....balanced, peaceful and a believer in equality
B
Old Feb 24th 2011, 10:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=MnB;9199872]
Originally Posted by crap coffee

Hey.....not everyone in the UK is striving to rise through the class system, some of us a very content with our lives and accept our 'ordinary unsophisticated lives' ....... but then I suppose I could be classed as being in the middle.....balanced, peaceful and a believer in equality
B
I know!!! I am generalising but I do seem to be surrounded by it at the moment. I'm sure most of the population don't give two figs about class, there is just this obsession in London with moving up, up, up...people don't seem to be content with just living in the moment. Can you tell I am getting a bit jaded with the pace of life here

And...there is nothing wrong with being ordinary and unsophisticated (which I am sure you are NOT!!) I think that is one thing this forum has taught me is that we all appreciate different things in our lives. For me I like simple pleasures, if that means I'm simple, so be it!!!!!
Old Feb 24th 2011, 10:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=MnB;9199872]
Originally Posted by crap coffee

B
You are right. I was purely talking about my personal experiences. Some of them are nice ppl but I don't like their mentality (unnatural amount of desire) and often appear arrogant.
Old Feb 24th 2011, 10:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=dannigirl;9199937]
Originally Posted by MnB

For me I like simple pleasures, if that means I'm simple, so be it!!!!!
me too me too!!!
Old Feb 25th 2011, 6:09 am
Forum Regular

Godeskian is just really niceGodeskian is just really niceGodeskian is just really niceGodeskian is just really niceGodeskian is just really niceGodeskian is just really niceGodeskian is just really niceGodeskian is just really nice

THIS. THIS is what I've been trying to verbalise for weeks now. Admittedly I don't have kids so the parts specifically relevant to them don't apply to me, but this is pretty much the concept I've got in my head.

Honestly, I want to take it, laminate it and hand it out to everyone who keeps asking me why I want to go.

Sorry for the epic post!
Epicness never needs apologies

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.