Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

NZ is as racist as --

NZ is as racist as --

Old Apr 9th 2018, 10:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: NZ is as racist as --

Originally Posted by Catchafire
The most racist people I have met in NZ have been other expats. Which is wonderfully ironic considering they themselves are immigrants.
Many leave the UK for racist reasons, they just won't admit to it.
Old Apr 10th 2018, 12:44 am
BE Enthusiast

garethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond repute

Im not sure you ever said anything about a barge pole in relation to Sth Auckland Col.
Old Apr 10th 2018, 4:43 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

I see this situation in so much online platforms, and a few TV shows, think Hoskings and his outdated chauvinist views, looks like Garner is trying to go for his crown, or as I offered earlier perhaps Garner is just gunning for Taika.

Old Apr 10th 2018, 4:56 am
Forum Regular

Princess_Buttercup is an unknown quantity at this point

The irony of labelling an entire people as racist has passed some posters by I see. Not all New Zealanders who live in NZ are racist. They're just not. Much like most of the UK aren't insular, your not welcome here foreigner and/or religion of choice, UKIP voting, Brexiteers. There are however, a minority of very vocal racists and there are microaggressions that arise from historical socio-economic issues that should when you see them be called out no matter the country. I know a tonne of lovely people who don't have a racist bone in their bodies, who live in NZ and the UK.
Old Apr 10th 2018, 5:03 am
Forum Regular

*I also strongly believe that structural racism has been a historical issue for New Zealand and Australia and the overflow from that continues today - you can't rip tikanga and te reo and a sense of turangawaewae from a people and expect all to go well. That causes intergenerational psychic issues that we see in both countries, actually you see that in a lot of colonised countries. Colonisation has a lot to answer for.
Old Apr 10th 2018, 7:42 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I've not read whatever it is .

Sometimes it is good to swap the word 'racism' for 'prejudice'.

I gather this will be about NZ, not the UK, so it will be interesting to read who owns what for New Zealand here.

Is New Zealand a nice happy place for all its people ? Regardless of where they came from originally ; their creed ; their skin tone ; their ancestors past? Or is there an undercurrent of prejudice ebbing and flowing

In other words is this an accepting country or is it conditional.
Old Apr 10th 2018, 7:49 am
Forum Regular

This is the original article if anyone's interested. Rather than the article commenting on the article or the article commenting on the comments sections.

Unknown Mortal Orchestra & Taika Waititi on New Zealand culture | Dazed

Personally I don't think anywhere doesn't have racism or religious/LGBQT bigotry issues - it's more whether you see it, acknowledge it and point it out for what it is or do you let it slip on by because it's easier not to and/or whether you have a political climate that encourages/discourages people to do so. There is no perfectly harmonious society - there is way too much history for that, but what you can have is peeps taking steps towards making it an 'accepting' place.
Old Apr 10th 2018, 8:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by garethwm
Im not sure you ever said anything about a barge pole in relation to Sth Auckland Col.
REALLY. . .??
Are you sure, sounds like me

Originally Posted by Princess_Buttercup
you can't rip tikanga and te reo and a sense of turangawaewae from a people and expect all to go well. That causes intergenerational psychic issues that we see in both countries,
...Riiiiight !!

Personally I don't think anywhere doesn't have racism or religious/LGBQT bigotry issues - it's more whether you see it, acknowledge it and point it out for what it is or do you let it slip on by because it's easier not to and/or whether you have a political climate that encourages/discourages people to do so.
Racism, the most racist people I have met have been Maori. They knock spots off others with their over inflated sense of importance and entitlement

Religion, All made up to control weak willed or desperate people. Only a fool would believe in such nonsense

LGBQTDGRXYZ ???, L and G, the rest is just attention seeking. get on with your crap and stop ramming it down peoples throats

Last edited by Justcol; Apr 10th 2018 at 8:39 am.
Old Apr 10th 2018, 9:28 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Justcol
Racism, the most racist people I have met have been Maori.
There is some research to back up the view that Maori experience higher levels of xenophobia than other New Zealanders.
Old Apr 10th 2018, 10:32 am
Forum Regular

Wow. Consider me put in my place. I am so glad you were able to school me on religion, sexuality and gender. It's fascinating how peoples own little ugly prejudices will eventually out.

Interestingly Charismatic - Taika had a tweet talking about how members of his family were just as racist as the peeps who told told him he had done good for a Maori brother. Racism and prejudices are complex and there are many reasons for it and just because you are BAME doesn't mean you wont be conditioned to be prejudiced either - it's just more likely that they'll be the target of structural racism than white people.

Any who I am done with this thread.

Peace.
Old Apr 10th 2018, 7:44 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Wow. Consider me put in my place. I am so glad you were able to school me on religion, sexuality and gender. It's fascinating how peoples own little ugly prejudices will eventually out.
don't think its fair to say own prejudice to Justcol as he did state it was his own experience so based on fact rather than any preconceived opinion or action, prejudice = preconceived opinion that is not based on reason or actual experience.

I know the title says racist, the point I was commenting on was not that but rather the the need to shout anyone down that has negative comments about their own country, as you pointed out Taika even says members of his family are, should he not be allowed to say that either? are we now not allowed or should be shot down and put in a corner for speaking out about our negative experiences, this, to me, seems what Garner is trying to do to Taika.

Wouldn't Garner of been wiser to of said he was ashamed for the experience that Taika had and those things need to be addressed and then given his reasons for being proud to be a NZ'er, rather than just slagging Taika off.

To get change we need to engage and discuss openly and not shout down the more grim side of living, surely?
Old Apr 11th 2018, 6:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Clappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
To get change we need to engage and discuss openly and not shout down the more grim side of living, surely?
But New Zealand is paradise isn't it? So it doesn't have to change.

Anyone that suggests otherwise will be shouted down - as I am sure Taika fully expected.
Old Apr 11th 2018, 7:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, it's quite fun to see all the attack dogs start yapping and barking as soon as anyone dares to shine a light on anything slightly unfavourable about good ol' NZ.

Taika has since offered an apology for his treasonous comments:

"I'm sorry NZ! I wasn't thinking and spoke in haste. I forgot to mention domestic violence, sexism, homophobia, and racism. My bad!"

Old Apr 11th 2018, 7:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Think nothing of it
Old Apr 11th 2018, 8:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

LittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...land-is-racist

This is the version that I read.

It seems a tale that is common throughout the world. Poverty is equated to crime and if there is a social grouping which can be associated with poverty then all members are assumed to be criminals.

Hmmm....Irish, Gyppos, Pakis.......Mexicans......wherever you are there is an identifiable target.

Sadly, I find the report believable. Often prejudice that you are born with is only visible to victims and outsiders. Looking back to the '50s and the '60s the UK was an incredibly racist place. Not as bad as South Africa and the USA which had legalised racism, but still there was a lot of racism just taken as normal.

Main message is to accept someone reporting on his upbringing and experiences, and try and avoid treating anyone in that way in future.